Stuck trying to get stage to begin

I've tried everything. I've tried switching things around and adding scripts to dialogue rather than the stage and so on and so forth and I just can't seem to figure it out.

So the quest has you bring a companion (or not, but i'm testing with him first) and after you find the object he asks you to find, you return to him to inform him that you have. However, when you return to him he just gives you the usual, "recruited" dialogue rather than the "quest is finished" dialogue.

what am i missing?

The way i have it set up is there is scripting attatched to the object that is inside a container. So when the player retrieves the object from the container, it is the scrpting attatched to the object that triggers the next stage, thus (OR SO ITS SUPPOSED TO ) Triggering the next stage A.K.A. returning to companion Npc with dialogue.

to clarify in order it goes:

SetObjectiveDisplayed(10)

Container.Enable()

player gets to container and goes within.

When he grabs the item it triggers the script attatched to it which is:

Scriptname PlayerItemScript extends ObjectReference Const

Quest Property NameofQuest Auto Const

Event OnContainerChanged(ObjectReference akNewContainer, ObjectReference akOldContainer)
if akNewContainer == Game.GetPlayer()
NameofQuest.SetStage(20)
endIf
endEvent

SetObjectiveCompleted(10)

SetObjectiveDisplayed(20)

setting stage 20, which requires player to return to the companion.

THIS ALL WORKS.

But,

When player gets to companion:

(Attatched TO dialogue)

GetStage = 50

GetIsId - Npc =1.00

Does not work. It just goes to his regular companion dialogue. I had it working so that when I fired him it would work but then it would go back to his "Recruited" dialogue. But anyways, I've tried referring to MacCready quest and i just can't figure it out.

By the way, my scripting ends with

Game.GetPlayer().RemoveItem(Item)

Game.GetPlayer().AddItem(Item)

You are doing NameofQuest.SetStage(20) ?

And then trying to GetStage = 50 ?

Is there anything setting stage 50 ? In your example you are setting stage 20, but the conditions make it so, that the current stage needs to be already set to 50 for it to work at all.

Are you using separate quest for your quest and it's not inside regular companion dialogue quest? If so, give it more Priority than companion dialogue. Or give the other dialogues starts Conditions too so they can't trigger if stage is xx.

If you have 2 quests with same conditions(or no conditions), the one with higher priority will be used.

If you take a look at vanilla companion quests, you will notice Caits personal quest is a bit higher priority than her companion dialogue.

Edit: Oh, and also if it's current companion, you need to select "Talk" in the dialogue wheel before the conversation begins(unless it's forcegreet).

Edited by vkz89q

You are doing NameofQuest.SetStage(20) ?

And then trying to GetStage = 50 ?

Is there anything setting stage 50 ? In your example you are setting stage 20, but the conditions make it so, that the current stage needs to be already set to 50 for it to work at all.

Are you using separate quest for your quest and it's not inside regular companion dialogue quest? If so, give it more Priority than companion dialogue. Or give the other dialogues starts Conditions too so they can't trigger if stage is xx.

If you have 2 quests with same conditions(or no conditions), the one with higher priority will be used.

If you take a look at vanilla companion quests, you will notice Caits personal quest is a bit higher priority than her companion dialogue.

Edit: Oh, and also if it's current companion, you need to select "Talk" in the dialogue wheel before the conversation begins(unless it's forcegreet).

woops. so yes, i have a companion quest, and the quest WITH the companion. they are 2 seperate quests. I was trying to simplify it by adding just the one. so pretend i didn't say stage50 but rather stage20. But basically, finding the note is supposed to trigger the scene where the player needs to talk to the npc (stage 20).

I am pretty new at this so forgive me for asking, but what do you mean by selecting "talk" in the wheel and how do you set priority for dialogue?

Â

Dude you've been such a help! I think every question I've asked you've helped me with so thank you for taking the time.

Setting yhr priority for the greeting did resolve the issue. But if you don't mind, wgat did you mean about the "talk" thing in the wheel ? Amd what does setting a force greet do ?

I mean this wheel when you first click on your current companion: https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/1151/images/14265-1-1465278447.jpg (pic is from this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14265/?)

That is somekind of "Teammate always have this command wheel" thing, and if you want quest dialogue you must select Talk. Unless, you have ForceGreet in the Greet in the quest dialogue. Force greet should start the talk even when you walk near companion.