Unofficial Role Playing Advice

Peregrine

Greetings all!

Now that the RP threads are open again, I would like to offer anyone who wishes to have their Roleplaying skills assessed by myself, using some of the scenarios that I was readying for the official assessment.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE ARE NOT THE OFFICIAL ASSESSMENTS AS DISCUSSED IN THE RPG FORUM

How would this be done?

• Put down your name here, and the type of character you like to run
  • I will contact you via IM (if you have one) or PM as to what the scenarios entail
  • We will go through several scenarios with me as the GM, and you as a player
  • When done, I will give you a written assessment, based on the responses to the scenarios, noting strengths and things that might need improving

Is this a real test?

No - there is no passing or failing, just an assessment of how you react to certain situations, your style of play, what kinds of campaigns/games you might be best suited for, and tips on how to work well with others.

When will it begin?

As soon as I get the first people to sign up on this thread, I will start to contact them.

What about the results? I don't want everyone to know what you rate me like.

i will send you the results via PM or e-mail. No one but you and I will know the results.

What if they decide to go forward with the tests at a later date, will this count?

We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Why do you think you have the experience to do this?

I have been a GM for 30 years, and a player for just as long. During my tenure, I have run over 500 different players through sections of my world. I am also a student of people, and have seen many varying styles of play. I have played with over a hundred different people, and I have watched what works and what doesn't while roleplaying. I would love to pass on some of the experience that I have with RPing to any who wish to receive it.

If you have any questions, or are unsure about anything, please feel free to PM me or e-mail me, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Edited by Kethruch

Character Name: It depends. I think I'll run Ural.

Character Type: Celtic Warlord of the Old School. Fights, knows some basic magic, and makes/repairs his own weapons and armor. He's not formally educated, but comes across as fairly wise, if a little rough around the edges.

This is a Morrowind Character

Name:

Macbeth

Male

Race (Custom):

Imperial, descendant of an Akaviri General and several Akaviri-Human hybrids.

(Essentially a stock Imperial but with the ability "Adrenaline Rush" instead of "Star of the West" and "Voice of the Emperor")

Physical Appearance:

Looks like the guy at the right, but with bright green eyes and golden hair. The sharply angled face, golden hair, and green eyes are telltale signs of his Akaviri ascendants.

Brief Biography:

The son of a rich merchant based in Cyrodiil. It has been a long-standing tradition in his family for the young men of the family to learn about the world by either joining the Imperal Army or going adventuring by themselves (young women may also do this, but they don't have to, unlike the young men). They may take over the business upon their return around the age of 30. So my character set out at the of 18 to see the world as an adventurer.

Personality:

His motto is "I'll fight till from my bones my flesh be hack'd." The motto suggests a hot temper, but instead it refers to an incredible stubbornness and refusal to give up until the end. His temper on the other hand, resembles a large tabular iceberg (not even a nuclear bomb can melt a large tabular iceberg completely).

Level:

The GM can decide

Favorite Attributes:

Strength

Willpower

Major Skills:

Long Blade

Medium Armor

Block

Destruction

Security

Minor Skills:

Mercantile

Speechcraft

Athletics

Acrobatics

Armorer

Born under the sign of:

The Lady

Inventory:

Akaviri Medium Armor (same stats as Indoril Armor)

Akaviri Katana (same stats as a Daedric Katana, it is possible to get one at Lvl 1)

Akaviri Shield (same stats as Indoril Shield)

Gold (amount determined by GM if relevant)

Assortment of various potions (type and quantity determined by GM)

Spells:

Assorted Destruction Spells (determined by GM depending on Level)

Possibly other spells

Kethruch, please send the information I left you to decide on, via PM.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

... First of all, is this still going? And it isn't my fault that I only just discovered this wonderful forum.

Second of all, if you are still giving out these tests, hook me up. Got my char down yonder.

Name: Argos Nevalantti

Race: Human

Profession: Mercinary (previously enlisted in a/the/whatever army)

Favored Weapon: Polearms

History Highlights: Argos grew up with battle. When he was a boy, it was all he knew living on the streets. Not that he had too. His father was a wealthy merchant, and provided well for the two of them (his mother 'supposedly' died during his birth).

Sadly, like all business men of the time, his father was often away, and Argos had only the rare opportunity to see him. So, he decided that he preferred the fresh air of the outside to the stuffy, cramped living space in doors.

There was a slight problem though, many of the local boys didn't hold favor with him. And he succeeded many times in making more foes then freinds for himself. This put him at a disadvantage, as many of the older boys taveled in gangs while Argos travelled alone. Even as a boy, Argos knew the value of a well faught battle. And he knew how to take down boys many times his size.

It was like this then, that he became accustomed to polearms. They had excelent reach and kept him out of the way of the other boys' blades. Time after time, he found that a good staff was a better choice then the sharpest sword.

Another thing put Argos at a disadvantage however. Being a merchant, his father often moved around. So, as they passed from city to city, Argos frequently found himself in unfammiliar territory. Quite a bother, considering that many of the other boys knew their turf well, and often caught poor Argos in a bloody ambush.

Thus, Argos decided to figure out ways of memorizing the layout of an area realativly quickly. It saved him the trouble of many a cut by reducing the number of ambushes he was caught in. Later, it began to save his life.

When he was old enough (based on the laws of where he was living) Argos decided to join the army. He quickly found, though, that he rather detested being a rank and file soldier. And when opportunity arose he opted to become a scout.

For close to a decade, Argos served in the army. Dealing death to many a foe. He discovered that the things he learned as a boy helped him greatly in combat. Polearms were still highly effective, and while the heavier weapons like haleberds were slow to weild, they offered considerable punch in return, often cleaving groups of enemies in two with a single sweep.

Eventually, Argos was forced to retire. A sad tale though, as combat was the only thing he had ever known. After being removed from enlisted duty, Argos set out as a mercinary, continuing(sp?) to fight where he was needed. In the end, he discovered happiness in a small vale town, and started a life. Now, while he still works as a mercinary and law enforcer, he is a hero within his small community.

Discription: Argos is a burly fellow, rather big and he holds a very commanding presence. While he is generaly fearsome looking, he is kind hearted and slow tempered. One thing that does anger him quickly, however, is when someone else is being excessivly rude or obnoxious. Especially to women and children. The people of his community see him as a great protector and Warhero.

He has peircing green eyes and white-flecked brown hair which covers his head like a thick mop. His facial expression is often flat and emotionless, but he often smiles. He loves good drink and good company.

Starting Equipment: Preferably some type of polearm. Perhaps some armor. But I leave it to the DM to decide. This is a 'test' after all.

Notes: I pride myself in the fact that my characters are spontaneously genorated. I came up with all that on the spot. Meh, if you don't think it looks like much, thats your opinion. But where I come from I am the best, and it feels good. :D

I know I'm not the best out there, but I always make a point of putting my greatest effort into my RP.

I'm looking forward to this test, but if you're not running it anymore I understand. And by the way, Kethruch, those are some BAD ASS credentials.

• 3 months later...
Guest kfmccall

Ever think about applying as a writer for memod? I'm an art department guy, but its easy to see that your imagination is wilder than most. Well, its up to you, if you enjoy writing, you'll definetely improve through the deveopement of memod by gaining more experience in the field.

Regards,

kevin

• 3 months later...