Open Community  ·  420 members

Stardew Valley

Where are these small pieces of dialog stored? Plus a little help with the yaml code

woodtortiose

Hi, I am working on editing dialogue files, particularly spouse dialogue, and there are a few snippets I cant find. A few examples:

1. Your spouse says to you:

Hun, I filed our adoption papers today...

..I watered the crops and filled cats water bowl...

...what are we putting in our grange display tomorrow...

a few others I cant remember now

These few bits of dialogue seem to be realted to certain events or festivals, yet they arent in any of the marriage dialogue, festival days, or any other files I could find. I've opened every file in the dialogue and festival folders with no luck. Any suggestions?

Second Question: Along with editing spouse dialog, I'm also editing inlaw dialogues, so they acknowledge the marriage more. Specifically, I'm trying to edit Pierre and Carolines dialogue at the fall grange festival. I'd like to add lines that are conditional to being married to Abigail, without altering their vanilla dialogue. For example Pierre dialogue line in the Fall16(?) xnb looks like this:

Pierre: "My shop has all the best...." #!String

I'd like to add:

Pierre_inlaw_Abigail: "You and Abby are giving me a ...." #!String

So Pierre will use the alternate dialogue if hes your inlaw, but

_inlaw_Abigail extension isnt working. Anyone know the code to get this to work?

Incidently, Pierre has additional dialogue dependent on whether he wins or loses the grange display contest, but it isnt in the Fall16.xnb, and I cant find it anywhere.

Sorry if this is unclear, I'm not sure I explained myself very well.

Oh, I want to edit the event at the community center between Pierre and Morris When you've finished all the bundles. I've played through this event twice, once egging on a fight and once urging restraint. However when I open the Data/event/communitycenter.xnb, the dialogue reflecting the fight choice is there, but the dialogue that goes with the peaceful option isn't? WTF? Anyone know where that is?

Edited by woodtortiose

1: The spousal lines that all spouses share are located in Strings/StringsFromCSFiles.xnb

2: The xnb files where the game is attempting to load inlaw dialogue are located in Characters/Dialogue/<Character>.xnb

The pseudocode for the method used to determine what the character will say is this:

public StardewValley.Dialogue tryToRetrieveDialogue(string preface, int heartLevel, string appendToEnd = "")

• First, it calculates the game year. if it's greater than 2, then the value is 2.
  • Then, if the appendToEnd string is empty, it tries to find inlaw dialogue recursively by making "_inlaw_" + the spouse's name the appendToEnd string and invoking tryToRetrieveDialogue again.
  • Then it tries to find dialogue in this order (by checking if the string is exactly equal to the preface value and:
    • The Day of the Month + appendToEnd string
    • The Day of the Month + "_" + year value +appendToEnd string
    • The Day of the week + heartLevel + "_" + year value + appendToEnd string
    • The Day of the week + heartLevel + "_" + appendToEnd string
    • The Day of the week + "_" + year value + appendToEnd string
    • The Day of the week + appendToEnd string

To better understand: for any NPC, given the farmer is married to Abigail, this is all it searches for, given the day is the 1st of the season:

1_inlaw_Abigail : Dialog from an inlaw of Abigail every 1st of the season
1_2_inlaw_Abigail : Dialog from an inlaw of Abigail every 1st of the season for year 2 onwards

Mon10_2_inlaw_Abigail : Dialog from an inlaw of Abigail every monday with a heart level of 10 for year 2 onwards

Mon10_inlaw_Abigail : Dialog from an inlaw of Abigail every monday with a heart level of 10
Mon_2_inlaw_Abigail : Dialog from an inlaw of Abigail every monday for year 2 onwards

Mon_inlaw_Abigail : Dialog from an inlaw of Abigail every monday

1 : Dialog for every 1st of the season

1_2 : Dialog for every 1st of the season for year 2 onwards

Mon10_2 : Dialog for an NPC every monday with a heart level of 10 for year 2 onwards

Mon10 : Dialog for an NPC every monday with a heart level of 10

Mon_2 : Dialog for an NPC every monday for year 2 onwards

Mon : Dialog for an NPC every monday

Oh, and for the last question? Data/Events/Town.xnb

Edited by bmarquismarkail

Wow, thats a ton of info, and I'm not sure I understand it all. Thanks! I'll try to figure it out tonight and see how it goes. One thing though, I'm pretty sure there isn't a StringFromCSFiles.xnb in my strings folder. Are they hidden maybe?

Ok, I'm still playing ver 1.1, and that file isn't there for some reason. I have the 1.2 update, just hadnt installed it yet because I didn't want to update all my mods. I unpacked it though, and sure enough the file is there. Wonder why it isnt there with 1.1? Any way, you've been a ton of help bmarquis, thanks!