hello, i am very new to nexus but i have been playing skyrim for a while now, and i am sure most of us (if not all of us) agree that it is one of the most enjoyable game even long after its initial release. in this topic i would like to request a mod (if it is possible) to change how the dragonborn (or other npcs if not avoidable) holds the woodcutter's axe as a weapon. i have attached a jpg image to demonstrate my request, (the image does not belong to me and i must clarify that i do not have any intention for copyright infringement nor do i claim it is mine) the reason behind this request is because i feel skyrim does not provide an alternative to a longer reaching one handed weapon, whereas the game provides us with 'headsman's axe' (albeit not obtainable by normal means (i.e. killing/pickpocketing ahtar or trade items, console commands) it is still obtainable) as an alternative to a longer reaching two handed weapon, and i am positive that if the grip of the said weapon were to be changed according to the request it would have a longer reach compared to other one handed weapons. i foresee if this request is to be realized there would be consequences, among them (that i can think of) are: buggy animation for wood chopping; and buggy animation for kill cam, which we intend to avoid if possible. if anyone would be willing to fulfill my request i would be very grateful, or to inform me how to do this from the creation kit would also be most helpful. thank you very much.

(i realize the image does not represent the vanilla weapon as it is presumably modded. however, i am of the opinion that it does represent 'same', or to the least extent 'similar', scaling to the vanilla woodcutter's axe. hopefully this would suffice the clarity of my request.)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340119979

If I remember correctly, there's a smaller, 1h version of an iron battleaxe in this mod, as well as a 1h orcish warhammer. Perhaps one of those would do what you need.

thank you very much, i appreciate the alternative you offered. however, i am, at my very best, still curious about the possibility to change how the player, or any npc, holds the woodcutter's axe as a weapon in the position i desire. i think it would bring much immersion, but that really is just my preference.

I have a very limited knowledge there, but those were made using nifskope to change the actual mesh. If you use fallout mod manager to extract the meshes (usually a weapon and a first person weapon) and then open the mesh in nifskope, you should see a few different NiTriShapes. This varies some, but there is usually at least one for the weapon itself (ie: IronLongsword) and then one for blood lighting and one for blood effects. You would click on each one of these, then in the Block Details box, you would have translation and rotation settings. Use Translation to move the sword up or down, to change the user's grip. Jot down your changes, and then click each blood lighting and blood effects, and make identical changes. (otherwise, you'll have blood where it's not supposed to be, such as floating a few inches in front of the blade. This is even more apparent, if you use right-click > transform > scale vertices to change the size of the item itself.

Be prepared for some trial and error because the translation settings don't seem to like to show you any effect until you hit enter. You may want to copy/paste the mesh elsewhere as a backup, and be willing to scrap it and start from scratch.

*edit - Afterthought. You would need to address collision as well. You might be able to effect your changes by changing the translation of the entire BSFadeNode, rather than the NiTriShapes individually, but I'm not certain of that.

Edited by thumbincubation

I have a very limited knowledge there, but those were made using nifskope to change the actual mesh. If you use fallout mod manager to extract the meshes (usually a weapon and a first person weapon) and then open the mesh in nifskope, you should see a few different NiTriShapes. This varies some, but there is usually at least one for the weapon itself (ie: IronLongsword) and then one for blood lighting and one for blood effects. You would click on each one of these, then in the Block Details box, you would have translation and rotation settings. Use Translation to move the sword up or down, to change the user's grip. Jot down your changes, and then click each blood lighting and blood effects, and make identical changes. (otherwise, you'll have blood where it's not supposed to be, such as floating a few inches in front of the blade. This is even more apparent, if you use right-click > transform > scale vertices to change the size of the item itself.

Be prepared for some trial and error because the translation settings don't seem to like to show you any effect until you hit enter. You may want to copy/paste the mesh elsewhere as a backup, and be willing to scrap it and start from scratch.

*edit - Afterthought. You would need to address collision as well. You might be able to effect your changes by changing the translation of the entire BSFadeNode, rather than the NiTriShapes individually, but I'm not certain of that.

i have read the tutorial (in https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Retexture_Tutorial) for re texturing using nifskope, and it seems to be referring to similar method to the one you are giving me right now. i also notice the example contained in the link above uses 'silver sword' in the game as an object for re texture, this example might not fit me because the object i would like to edit (woodcutter's axe) is categorized as clutter (despite its alternative use as a weapon in the game) and, unfortunately, it does not have a 1st person weapon nif like other weapons would, whereas for the dds file of the said object seems to be the same with other weapons (although i am not quite sure, perhaps you might be able to try and look at it yourself and tell me if there are details i have missed). i am attaching a picture down below to demonstrate what i am referring to, for this i would like to ask you what should i do? thank you for taking your time, i really appreciate it.

i also seem to mess up the 'block details' window right underneath the interface showing nitrishape and etc. now everytime i open a nif file the nifskope does not show me any block details unlike how the example in the link i give above contains, how do i fix this?

I took a look in the CK. It seems the devs weren't always consistent on what does/doesn't have a dedicated 1st person model, possibly due to presence or absence of a scabbard or belt ring. Take the potential "why" with a grain of salt, but in this case the weapon , Axe01 and the 1stPersonAxe (why the name difference, I don't know) both use the same mesh. Clutter\Chopping Block\Axe01.nif

I have seen this a few times in gloves and gauntlets, where instead of making a first person model, they just select the regular body model for both areas of the armor addon.

As for the actual action of chopping wood, I believe AnimObjects\AnimObjectAxe.nif is the model it uses, but I have never attempted to manipulate that at all, so there may be other surprises. I do know that what determines whether you can chop wood is a simple list of the items the game accepts as a woodcutting axe. You could literally put a lantern on the list and as long as you have a lantern on you, it will let you chop wood, but you will still swing an axe, not a lantern. Now that I've had occasion to find this animobject mesh, I suspect that explains why.

Here's my guess, based on what I see so far. If you change the grip on Clutter\Chopping Block\Axe01.nif to allow you to hold it further down, toward the end of the handle, both the axe01 weapon and the 1stPersonAxe will change with it, and you'll see your changes in combat, but it will be the same old grip when you chop wood. If you change AnimObjects\AnimObjectAxe.nif only, then you'd see the difference while chopping wood, but not in combat, unless you changed both.

The tutorial you have for retexturing is relevant in that it tells you how to extract the meshes and put them back into the proper file path, for the game to find them. Unless you're changing the color or "giving it a new paintjob," though, you won't need to worry about the .dds files at all. You would extract the meshes, change them in nifskope, then put them right back into that file path in your "meshes" folder, and they would pick up the same texture as normally found in game.

So you would have

c > program files (x86) > steam > steam apps > common > skyrim > data > meshes > clutter > chopping block > axeo1.nif

and likewise one for the animobject, following the same path until the meshes folder.

If you find you don't like the way it's turned out, you're not stuck with it. Simply delete or move the files out of your meshes folder, and the game will revert to the regular version still stored in its archive.

*edit * Edit, I forgot we were talking about skyrim, not skyrim special edition. I changed the file path accordingly.

Edited by thumbincubation

I took a look in the CK. It seems the devs weren't always consistent on what does/doesn't have a dedicated 1st person model, possibly due to presence or absence of a scabbard or belt ring. Take the potential "why" with a grain of salt, but in this case the weapon , Axe01 and the 1stPersonAxe (why the name difference, I don't know) both use the same mesh. Clutter\Chopping Block\Axe01.nif

I have seen this a few times in gloves and gauntlets, where instead of making a first person model, they just select the regular body model for both areas of the armor addon.

As for the actual action of chopping wood, I believe AnimObjects\AnimObjectAxe.nif is the model it uses, but I have never attempted to manipulate that at all, so there may be other surprises. I do know that what determines whether you can chop wood is a simple list of the items the game accepts as a woodcutting axe. You could literally put a lantern on the list and as long as you have a lantern on you, it will let you chop wood, but you will still swing an axe, not a lantern. Now that I've had occasion to find this animobject mesh, I suspect that explains why.

Here's my guess, based on what I see so far. If you change the grip on Clutter\Chopping Block\Axe01.nif to allow you to hold it further down, toward the end of the handle, both the axe01 weapon and the 1stPersonAxe will change with it, and you'll see your changes in combat, but it will be the same old grip when you chop wood. If you change AnimObjects\AnimObjectAxe.nif only, then you'd see the difference while chopping wood, but not in combat, unless you changed both.

The tutorial you have for retexturing is relevant in that it tells you how to extract the meshes and put them back into the proper file path, for the game to find them. Unless you're changing the color or "giving it a new paintjob," though, you won't need to worry about the .dds files at all. You would extract the meshes, change them in nifskope, then put them right back into that file path in your "meshes" folder, and they would pick up the same texture as normally found in game.

So you would have

c > program files (x86) > steam > steam apps > common > skyrim > data > meshes > clutter > chopping block > axeo1.nif

and likewise one for the animobject, following the same path until the meshes folder.

If you find you don't like the way it's turned out, you're not stuck with it. Simply delete or move the files out of your meshes folder, and the game will revert to the regular version still stored in its archive.

*edit * Edit, I forgot we were talking about skyrim, not skyrim special edition. I changed the file path accordingly.

For the Block details, if they've disappeared, use View > show > and you can check which boxes you want to see. You can drag them around the screen, as well, so they don't necessarily have to be at the bottom if you don't want to.

i am attaching an image to show where my confusion lies, as well as stating my questions:

1. where in the interface am i supposed to find 'translation' and 'rotation' settings? if you can help me locate it, it would be most useful (i am very new to all of this, if you are annoyed i am terribly sorry)

2. (i do not know whether this may or may not relate at all with the matter i am having right now) in the slight upper position of the 'block details' there is interactive help instructing to 'put reference in a 'doc'', i was hoping you could tell me what that is (and whether it will be useful for me or not)

thank you very much for sparing your time.

*edit* thanks to you, i was able to figure out 'translation' and 'rotation' as well as. however, despite my effort on doing what you said, it was not successful. i did what you said which was to translate the object to certain point of y axis, and to convert the blood nifs (which i assume is the 'edgeblood' in the block list) to the same point of y axis (i converted both of their axis to the same value). i did the last instruction of the retexture tutorial in the link i gave you, which was to integrate the edited nif into 1stperson clutter model under world>static category (if im not mistaken), and to integrate it in the model of the custom weapon (in my case custom 'clutter') under 'art and sound' tab, tested it and the result that i got was invisible mesh (the weapon was invisible). did i do something wrong here? oh, and also how do i edit 'collision'?

Edited by dipsauce13

Hi,

Ok, so it looks like you found rotation and translation settings. When you changed the Y axis, were you selected on the BSFadeNode (very top entry) or one of the NiTriShapes at the time?

I've been experimenting (with the SSE version, which is slightly different) and it looks like if you use the BSFadeNode, the whole ball of wax will move, collision included. The old way I was doing, changing each NiTriShape separately, would have required moving collision separately. The few changes I've ever made didn't change the shape or size of the weapons enough to worry too much about collision, so I don't know how to change that alone.

If you click on the BSFadeNode, make your Y axis changes, save the mesh, then put it back in the same file path, it should work for you, without having to change it in creation kit. Mind you, the axe you have in your pic is the axe01 weapon, so it won't make any difference in wood chopping, but you should see it in combat or with weapon drawn.

This axe doesn't use a dedicated 1st person model (nif) so if you're using creation kit to make a unique item, just duplicate the 1st person static item there and link it to the same mesh you'll link the moveable weapon to. For ease of testing your positioning, it's probably better to just cut/paste the mesh in and out of its folder, as a replacer, until you're sure you've got it the way you want. Then take it out and create your own custom file path for it, give it a unique name, and start your creation kit assigning.

Whether or not you retextured, if you use the new mesh as a replacer, then just putting it in the right folder will make it show up in game, but every axe will look and wield like it. If you want to make a unique one, while the rest in the game stay normal, then that's when you have to involve the creation kit and assigning meshes to the art file in the weapon forms.

The file paths for these are the ones I linked above. I actually copied/pasted them from the ck, to make them easier to find. To return them to that path, go to your Skyrim data folder and look for the "meshes" folder (not to be confused with the meshes.bsa that comes with the game. This would be an actual folder for adding mods, in which the game will check there before checking its own .bsa). If there's no meshes folder, create one, then create the subsequent folders in each item's file path. Then the game will be able to find it.

Hi,

Ok, so it looks like you found rotation and translation settings. When you changed the Y axis, were you selected on the BSFadeNode (very top entry) or one of the NiTriShapes at the time?

I've been experimenting (with the SSE version, which is slightly different) and it looks like if you use the BSFadeNode, the whole ball of wax will move, collision included. The old way I was doing, changing each NiTriShape separately, would have required moving collision separately. The few changes I've ever made didn't change the shape or size of the weapons enough to worry too much about collision, so I don't know how to change that alone.

If you click on the BSFadeNode, make your Y axis changes, save the mesh, then put it back in the same file path, it should work for you, without having to change it in creation kit. Mind you, the axe you have in your pic is the axe01 weapon, so it won't make any difference in wood chopping, but you should see it in combat or with weapon drawn.

This axe doesn't use a dedicated 1st person model (nif) so if you're using creation kit to make a unique item, just duplicate the 1st person static item there and link it to the same mesh you'll link the moveable weapon to. For ease of testing your positioning, it's probably better to just cut/paste the mesh in and out of its folder, as a replacer, until you're sure you've got it the way you want. Then take it out and create your own custom file path for it, give it a unique name, and start your creation kit assigning.

Whether or not you retextured, if you use the new mesh as a replacer, then just putting it in the right folder will make it show up in game, but every axe will look and wield like it. If you want to make a unique one, while the rest in the game stay normal, then that's when you have to involve the creation kit and assigning meshes to the art file in the weapon forms.

The file paths for these are the ones I linked above. I actually copied/pasted them from the ck, to make them easier to find. To return them to that path, go to your Skyrim data folder and look for the "meshes" folder (not to be confused with the meshes.bsa that comes with the game. This would be an actual folder for adding mods, in which the game will check there before checking its own .bsa). If there's no meshes folder, create one, then create the subsequent folders in each item's file path. Then the game will be able to find it.

hi,

thank you for taking your time to explain. i do have several clarifications as well as questions:

1. when i changed the translation to a certain point i also changed both the nirtishapes as well as the bsfadenode. the reasoning is because i assume the bsfadenode serve as the point where you would normally hold the weapon, and the nitrishape should follow the translation changes made (in the low entry under 'axe01')

2. i realized the file name is still under the original name of it given by the game, therefore before making any changes to it (after taking the screenshot i posted previously) i changed the name to 'axe02'. afterwards, what i did was the changes i mentioned in the first clarification in this post (right above this one), the changes also include translation on the edgeblood, which i assume is important since you have pointed it out before. (and after all changes i hit apply,because it seemed very important)

3. after all the changes, i clicked 'save', and not 'save as'. considering the differences between the two, and the new instructions you gave, should i (the next time i am doing a trial on this) click 'save as' and save the nif in a different path? because i did not, after i clicked 'save', change the destination file, as you can probably know by know, the edited nif should be in the destined file under Skyrim>Data>Meshes>clutter>choppingblock>axe02.nif.

4. noting your statement on 'whether or not you retextured ... putting in the right folder will make it show up in game' what i did was i assigned the axe02.nif to a newly formed 1stperson wold static object and to a newly formed clutter (so i would have a new 1stpersonaxe02 using the axe02.nif, and a new axe02 using axe02.nif under the art and sound tab in the ck object window), and the result that i acquired was blank mesh that i informed to you in my earlier post.

5. is it necessary to create new folder? i used to be a mod user and i am aware of your observation saying 'actual folder for adding mods', which i utilize for my axe02.nif. concerning whether 'the game will be able to find it', i seem to notice after changes i made above (putting the axe02.nif for newly formed 1stperson and newly formed weapon id 'axe02') the ck notified me that it was not able to locate axe02 (or axe01 i cannot recall which one really) in the folder paths i mentioned (Meshes>clutter>choppingblock>axe02.nif). that was the point i ignored it, and when decided to try it, that was the time i noticed that axe02 has blank mesh (it was still able to hit properly though).

i suppose i could give your instructions another try. however, at this point, i am still in dire need of assistance. i apologize for any inconvenience.