Can this be done without a script?

I'm sorry. I wish I had more expertise in this. I was just experimenting, managed to attach a lantern to the belt of a cuirass, but then in CK I could only choose the armor form or the light form. The only other thing I could think of would be to try to use nifskope to either merge a torch with a lantern, and then just remove the handle of the torch, leave the light aspect inside the lantern, or possibly to put the magelight mesh in there and then change the RGB to match what a torch or candle would be, and raise/lower the power from there.

Hi Thumb,

No problem mate modding is like that 10 defeats for one victory! But just like my new trees overhaul mod i thought it would never work and then one night i tried it again and it just work.

Perseverance is the name of the game.

The torch trick is used by all the lantern mods that don't put the lantern as wearable on the body slots and it is the easiest one to work with but the main problem is if you want to make it wearable at the belt via body slot then your arm will be in the torch holding position!

I am studying Quicklight for Skyrim legendary edition and he don't use any body slots and you just have to hold the e key and the lantern appear lighted at your front belt then you just hold e longer again and it shut it down. I really like that solution but i have a hard time understanding the script since it was made for SKSE and i don't know what would need to be removed to make it work on SSE.

I also study a lot wearable lantern by Chesko and he use slot 55 for the back lantern and the lantern seem to be automatically get lit when you equip it and what puzzle me is that he seem to have use the torch nif to make it but there is no arm stuck in the torch pose and you can even dual wield while equip. Also both mod don't have the flickering FX on them and that really anti climax to have a dancing flame having no flicker effect on surrounding.

I was looking at this papyrus reference for GetEquippedItemType and maybe if someone with more experience in papyrus could help us since there seem to be a way to block the pose of the torch, here the link : https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=GetEquippedItemType_-_Actor

This would be ideal since only the torch have a working flickering FX.

Maybe a modders with scripts experience will come and lay a hand we never know.

Edited by dovapix

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also study a lot wearable lantern by Chesko and he use slot 55 for the back lantern and the lantern seem to be automatically get lit when you equip it and what puzzle me is that he seem to have use the torch nif to make it but there is no arm stuck in the torch pose and you can even dual wield while equip. Also both mod don't have the flickering FX on them and that really anti climax to have a dancing flame having no flicker effect on surrounding.

When slot 55 is used then of course this is not considered a torch any more by the game. Torches are left hand only (slot 34).

And therefore the engine has no reason to send the "torchEquip" animation event that I have mentioned before. And therefore no animations will be played that hold that torch.

When slot 55 is used then of course this is not considered a torch any more by the game. Torches are left hand only (slot 34).

And therefore the engine has no reason to send the "torchEquip" animation event that I have mentioned before. And therefore no animations will be played that hold that torch.

Hi Fore,

Thank i never thought about it first. But what still bugging me is why that damn flicker FX work on the torch but not when it get in another body slots?

Wearable lanterns use the candlelight spell but since the torch was already having a light i wonder why he still use the magic effect, there must be a reason why?

Some more tests today and it seem that the flickering light FX is not working when the light is attach to an object via magic effect like most lantern mods are doing.

To make it work it would have to be like the torch but the problem is we cannot access body slots for torch so i will try to use an armor item like a ring and replace the nodes with the torch nif nodes and see if i can make the magic happen.

After a lot of test i think that i can confirmed that the light flicker or pulse FX will never work with magic effect, it's have to be hard coded on the torch or else the magic effect form is not supporting light FX for performance considerations.

Last hope to get it working is to make some nifskope voodoo and use a ring nif and replace every nodes with the torch nodes and see if i can fool the game engine this way.

Technically if using the ring nif with the torch nif nodes in a body slot then equipping the lantern should trigger the torch light with working flickering fx.

If this does not work than my last choice will be to just replace the torch with my lantern mesh and fit it to the hand holding torch position since this way flickering will work. For some it might sound like i am desperate to get a trivial FX to work but i will make a video with lantern with flickering FX and one without it and you will quickly see how immersion get broken without.

Hey dova,

I'm working on complete guessing here, but take a look at the mesh lightspellactorfx which is the mesh for the candlelight spell.I wonder if you can change the direction and distance it travels, with nifskope, to where a lantern would hang on the belt, and somehow make the equipping of the lantern cast the spell. I saw that the light form associated with the spell has a spot for flicker, and changing the time.

That being said, I have no idea how to make an enchantment for the lantern that would cast the spell, but maybe the associated magic effect made into an enchantment.

Some success. I took the magic effect LightFFSelf, duped it and changed the dup to constant effect. Then I duped the associated light form and checked "can be carried," also made sure it was at -1 time. Then I created a new enchantment, using it, also with constant effect, and applied the enchantment to a leather armor. When I don the armor, the light comes on. When I take it off, it stops.

Now, that was using the candlelight magic effect, which uses that mesh I mentioned above. I am off for dinner, but when I come back on I'm going to try to switch the magic effect to use the stationary magelight mesh instead, and I'm pretty sure that can easily be moved to whatever position the lantern will be in. If that's successful, I'll open the candle lantern light form vs this one, side-by-side, and make the color and power match, and set flicker, and see if I can get it to look right.

Here's to hoping and sorry for the bad timing delay.

Hey dova,

I'm working on complete guessing here, but take a look at the mesh lightspellactorfx which is the mesh for the candlelight spell.I wonder if you can change the direction and distance it travels, with nifskope, to where a lantern would hang on the belt, and somehow make the equipping of the lantern cast the spell. I saw that the light form associated with the spell has a spot for flicker, and changing the time.

That being said, I have no idea how to make an enchantment for the lantern that would cast the spell, but maybe the associated magic effect made into an enchantment.

Hi thumb,

Changing the animation positions would be doable in Nifskope but i also did some test with the candlelight spell included in the quicklight lantern mod and the light was not flickering either, maybe because of the mod internal modifications so i will have to test it with the original spell to see if flickering is working.

In the case this solution would work i would just change the flame and color and remove the annoying flash effect that make you blind.

I have 2 solutions to test from now on:

#1 Taking a nif file that is compatible with body slots and replace all nodes with the torch nodes(If harcoded this will probably not work)

#2 Create a duplicate of the torch.nif and load it in 3ds max and rig the torch model with one bone then skin it and export to get the skin partitions so i can assign it to another body slots via the CK or TES5EDIT. Since the torch.nif located in the meshes/weapons/torch/torch.nif is not accessible via the ck i am not sure this will work.

Did some test with candlelight spell and as i expected the flicker FX is not working either! The only think that show the illusion of flicker is because the light orb is moving but on a stationary light emitter like a lantern it would not be moving at all.

That probably a limitation from the game engine toward console capabilities.

So our last chance is trying to fool the engine to see the torch as an armor node but honestly i think it will not work. I will try just to eliminate the doubt i have about it.

I wonder if RLO modify anything regarding the torch? I would do other test with the mod disable just to make sure.

Edited by dovapix