Can this be done without a script?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've used the magelight, the torch, and the alikrorangeflicker light sources and no flicker. That's using a candle lantern mesh, and later adding the top two pieces of the torch mesh to it.

That what i was suspected since imagine having mods that put ton of light flickering spells + wielding a torch! The other modders probably drop it after investigating like we are doing.

We could also fake the flickering by animating the candlelight node in rapid succession in Nifskope and that very easy to do and by removing the flash FX and flare the light would be invisible and the flickering would be realistic. It would be similar to adding a noise controller to a light in 3ds max.

I still wonder why some light form(very few less than 10 i think)have a direct link to a 3d model just like torch01 is linked via edit to torch.nif. I tried linking a duplicated torch01 to an amulet nif but wearing the amulet generated no light at all.

That the joy of modding since a breakthrough is maybe just ahead and we don't even know it yet!

Found an interesting thread here talking about torch01 being hardcoded and with what seem to be a workaround : http://www.gamesas.com/game-getplayer-additem-torch01-causes-erratic-behavior-t258632.html

Time to fiddle with the nif file to see if i can maybe simply copy the information from skin partitions just for a quick test.

Edited by dovapix

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, wearing the lantern pasted into an armor mesh doesn't do anything for me either. I had to make it an enchantment with the spell effect changed to constant and linked to the light source I wanted. Still, I wouldn't have learned how to do that at all, if it wasn't for this post. I thank you for that.

Yeah, wearing the lantern pasted into an armor mesh doesn't do anything for me either. I had to make it an enchantment with the spell effect changed to constant and linked to the light source I wanted. Still, I wouldn't have learned how to do that at all, if it wasn't for this post. I thank you for that.

You are welcome my friend and you also motivated me to push further ahead since when you have no replies you tend to forget about it and when you are 2 or more to try solving a technical problem then you get motivated and everyone contribute to solving it.

I was searching if papyrus can handle light intensity scripting but so far i found nothing and the reference on light was empty so i guess Bethesda don't want anybody to play with light animation.

It's getting late but tomorrow i will try the animation of the light node in Nifskope to see if the effect would be enough.

Take care

Did more test today and i have no success trying to copy the torch.nif nodes into a helmet.nif, the goal was to fool the game engine so i could put the torch on the hair body slots so when player equip duplicate helmet a torch would be lit on his head.

The new nif simply crash the game at loading.

Will try to see if i can fix it but i doubt since the torch.nif seem to be harcoded with the light in it.The attachLight node is not what linking the light to it, it's just a place holder to precisely align the light and if block is remove then the light is simply aligned center to the mesh.

I'm not sure about the dup torch idea. My knowledge of nifskope is severely limited. I can do simple tasks, but not much beyond that.

That attachlight node must be why, even though I can stick a lantern to the belt buckle of a cuirass and brighten the room I'm in, it still seems to be dark when I'm up close. The actual light source must be hiding within the player body. I had been wondering about that.

I'm not sure about the dup torch idea. My knowledge of nifskope is severely limited. I can do simple tasks, but not much beyond that.

That attachlight node must be why, even though I can stick a lantern to the belt buckle of a cuirass and brighten the room I'm in, it still seems to be dark when I'm up close. The actual light source must be hiding within the player body. I had been wondering about that.

Hi thumb,

I have good experience in nifskope but no one so far have tried to convert a weapon nif to an armor nif and i don't think it is possible at all. I think the only real solution for this one would be via Havok tools and removing behavior from torch duplicate so when the duplicate aka lantern is equip then the animation for holding the torch wont get triggered. I post a new thread on this and i am waiting for some eventual experience user of havok tool to give us some advice.

Regarding the light you just have to move the attachLight node in Nifskope via translation x or y axis so the light is not in a closed mesh.

By the way just by changing the Prn NiStringData to WeaponDagger instead of SHIELD equip the torch on the belt but we still have the problem with the animated torch arm pose.

Edited by dovapix

Oh awesome, tyvm. That is something I didn't think about, changing it to weapondagger.

The one I've been using prior to this experiment, was still hand carried so I didn't have any arm issues. It's literally just a smaller lantern, turned so the hand grabbed the side of the carry ring and it would still be upright.

I remember someone, back in the oldrim forums, asking how to turn a weapon into a light source. I'll go see if I can find it, and if they got any answers on it.

Oh awesome, tyvm. That is something I didn't think about, changing it to weapondagger.

The one I've been using prior to this experiment, was still hand carried so I didn't have any arm issues. It's literally just a smaller lantern, turned so the hand grabbed the side of the carry ring and it would still be upright.

I remember someone, back in the oldrim forums, asking how to turn a weapon into a light source. I'll go see if I can find it, and if they got any answers on it.

Hi Thumb,

You probably talking about this mod : http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16112/? Gandalf staff but it does not solve the arm issue either and it is easy to replace the original torch since the hold pose fit perfectly well.

Still have no reply in my Havok thread but i will start to fiddle with it to see if i can locate the animation and the way to get removed by object.