Do not clean ITM with SSEEdit

ddavies10693

I've been researching and reading forums here for SSE for a few hours now, specifically regarding random crashes in the over-world. I've noticed a pattern that cleaning the game with SSEEdit seems to cause frequent crashes (for whatever reason) in multiple areas around the game world.

Known affected areas include Ivarstead and Falkreath.

For something that was considered a basic step for modding Oldrim, it seems to not be fully supported for SSE. I've repaired the game through steam, and this seems to fix the crashes caused by this.

Anyone else found anything similar?

No. In very rare instances I recall a mod or two at the most that mentioned Edit giving a false report. But the benefits of cleaning "dirty" mods far, far outweighs any dangers. As for areas, that sounds more like a conflict of mods. For example I once had a crash that happened as I approached, beneficial as I recall, an isolated cabin area outside Riverwood. Through research and trial I finally disabled the mod causing the crash. As far as I'm concerned SSEdit is as basic as a a hammer in a tool set.

I would usually agree with you, but this case the answer is clearly whether or not ITMs were cleaned. I can get the game to crash (or not crash) literally 100 percent of the time in specific areas based on whether or not the ITMs are cleaned. I can also uninstall every mod, and have the game still crash in those areas. Once I repair the game through Steam, it does not crash in those places anymore. I'm not cleaning mods, only the official .esm files that come with the game.

I don't know if I have an older version of SSEEdit or something, but I swear, I've tested this multiple times and it is clearly causing crashes.

There is no need to clean official game content. People who say there is are generally misinformed. In skyrim there was the rare case that a mod attempted to modify an object reference in the game that was deleted by a DLC, resulting in a crash. However since all DLC are included in legendary edition, this should never happen.

Cleaning masters is an unnecessary step more likely to create problems than fix them.

There is no need to clean official game content. People who say there is are generally misinformed. In skyrim there was the rare case that a mod attempted to modify an object reference in the game that was deleted by a DLC, resulting in a crash. However since all DLC are included in legendary edition, this should never happen.

Cleaning masters is an unnecessary step more likely to create problems than fix them.

It's true that cleaning the ITMs isn't strictly needed but the UDR (Undelete and Disable References) step of cleaning is still important if you use any mod that doesn't depend on all of the DLCs and might access one of the deleted references. And cleaning the DLCs of ITMs should be completely harmless not create problems.

I would usually agree with you, but this case the answer is clearly whether or not ITMs were cleaned. I can get the game to crash (or not crash) literally 100 percent of the time in specific areas based on whether or not the ITMs are cleaned. I can also uninstall every mod, and have the game still crash in those areas. Once I repair the game through Steam, it does not crash in those places anymore. I'm not cleaning mods, only the official .esm files that come with the game.

I don't know if I have an older version of SSEEdit or something, but I swear, I've tested this multiple times and it is clearly causing crashes.

That makes no sense. Deleted references can cause game crashes but the sort of edits we call ITMs don't. The only reason we clean ITMs is to avoid the problems where a modder (or the CK itself) tags some record as changed even though it wasn't. When you have many mods those unintentional edits can override intentional ones depending on the order in which the mods are loaded. But the last loaded record always wins and it's as if the other one was never there.

I can only think of one possible way cleaning an ITM would cause the sort of problem you've described. That's if you did the cleaning and then returned to a saved game you had started before the mods were cleaned. And even that would take some pretty unusual edits to the records to cause a crash. If that sort of thing is the cause of the problem then it could also occur if you later load another mod that also makes intentional changes to that record so I wouldn't blame it on cleaning the ITMs.

Yes, as I stated there may be very rare cases where that could happen but they were rare to begin with and are rarer now. Anyway I've never cleaned my DLCs and never had a crash. Of course that's just one data point but in general we are talking about a rock here or a tree there in out of the way cells. Very unlikely to be directly edited by a modder and if your mod is for special edition and you're planning to edit cells that were modified by a DLC then you should load that DLC. If go so far as to say that if you come across a mod that failed to do so then you probably shouldn't use it because that modder is clearly not following best practices and who knows what other serious errors they've made.

There is no evidence to support the claim that cleaning DLCs is in any way harmful at all, let alone causing something this specific to happen.

If you're using the unofficial patch, you probably need to update that since we did have one issue caused by an edit that should otherwise have been mundane that would cause the game to CTD anywhere in the vicinity of Falkreath.

• 6 months later...

I just started a new game specifically to play Rigmor of Bruma and Beyond Skyrim Bruma. Other than those two mods and the patch for BS Bruma, I just have the Unofficial SSE Patch loaded - everything is stock standard vanilla.

I completed the main quest line up to the start of Diplomatic Immunity, mainly to level my skills a little before I venture off with Rigmor. Went to River Wood, talked with Baa'Ren-Dar and set off to Angi's camp. Just past Helgen the game CTD. Went the other way past the Lake View Manor location, turn to Falkreath. Just passe the "roadside ruin" the game CTD. Went even further west pass the Glenmoral witches's cave and turn in for Falkreath - Same issue, CTD.

Desperate at this point I used the console command "coc angiscampexterior" - CTD. I disabled Beyond Skyrim Bruma and the patch. With only "rigmor" loaded, same issues at same locations.

I disabled Rigmor, and with no other mods (except USSEP) active, I had the same results.

I then went back and verified my files on Steam. Of course all the edited Master Files where no "dirty" again. Without cleaning the Master Files with SSEedit and without activating the two mods, I made clear run to Angi's Camp with no CTD instances. Activated the two mods and the patch, and where able to play without any issue.

Are there any advice on cleaning Master Files or not with SSEedit if I want to continue playing the character? After I finish Rigmor and BS Bruma I want to continue playing the main quest together with "Legacy of the Dragonborn, but are not so sure how that mod will work with dirty Master Files.