War of the Commonwealth 2.0

SMB92

OBSOLETE THREAD, NEW THREAD HERE: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6198786-spawns-of-the-commonwealth-wotc-2-new-thread/

Hi folks, (updated 18/5)

After taking over this mod I have decided that I will rebuild it in a much simpler format that the game can handle, with a higher level of customisation so that users can fine tune everything not only to their taste, but to their machine's potential.

UPDATED 13/6/17 - Time to overhaul this post!

The final direction has been decided. Here is the basic goals of the system:

1. Save safe

2. No vanilla edits

3. No long running script loops

4. No cloak scripts in primary systems

5. Maximum compatibility with your favourite overhauls

6. Easy to add custom content to script with include templates and code

7. Multiple systems with subsystems, all independent and controllable.

8. Deferral of activation until after a chosen quest (won't activate/prompt at all until after you exit the vault)

9. Full uninstallation code/stages

10. Master Preset levels for both spawn numbers and difficulty as well as independent presets for every system

11. Controllable reset timers, independent timers for every region

12. Controllable Cleanup timers for spawn points, independent timers for each region

Systems include:

1. Main Random Spawns

Subsystems:

1. Waterside/coastal spawns

2. Extra Wildlife Spawns

3. Extra Monster Spawns

4. Infestation Zones/Points

5. Sniper Spawns

6. Settlement Spawns (any point close to a settlement is part of this system, made because of popular demand)

7. Vertical Spawns (Kinda like snipers but for areas where regular groups could spawn)

2. Story Faction Spawns - Made independent for more intense control of variables

3. Ambush spawn system

4. Enemy Camp Spawns - for spawning enemy campsites

5. Terminators - by request if permission get granted we'll have the option to have a Terminator stalk you if you piss the Institute off enough.

Possibly more to come. For the first beta, only the first system will be live, in only one region. Once any problems with that are sorted out we move to the next system and fill that out and take that to test. That way all the problems will be worked before rolling out a tonne of points across the Commonwealth, time need not be wasted (I have little of it).

The pride and joy of the whole system will be the menu lol. It's a big and complicated menu with more controls than you can poke a stick at.

Looking at maybe getting someone to help with Spawnpoint placement, someone who has a bit of time on their hands and can also provide ideas and testing. I'll be making a post in this section soon looking for that certain someone :smile:

Please feel free to post your ideas, I would love to gather this feedback

Cheers.

PS Special thanks to users BigandFlabby, kitcat81 and TheDungeonDweller for their help with scripting, without them the system would have been built with sticks (so to speak) but now it can be built with steel and concrete!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the big problem with the old version is it is managing too much. 600,000 or something persistent points, insane load. Between the potential for corrupted spawn points and landing out of navmesh because a thread hasn't gotten around to resolving a point yet, the risk is Too Damn High™.

Will take some time to do the grunt work in CK, the system itself is nothing to implement just need to fill all the spawns correctly.

@smbNineTwo-er

thanks for keeping everyone in the loop, with to-the-moment communications.

post #4 of this thread is humorous, yet entirely the playtesters' feedback

from the prior variants of WiP forms of this project hehe.

"the risk is too dang hightm " that needs to be on a T-shirt or something hehe.

as awesome as v1,0 was; and it was very awesome and ambitious,

it was also overflows inside of overflows,

hangups and no catchbacks,

and stuff having collisions or multi-cell "parking" causing stutter, and all kinds of mayhem.

as direct as that is though,

there were some awesome ideas in v,1,0 which did achieve awesome "accidental discovery" too.

I will be very interested to learn from how you implement this mod,

and how you resolve the overflow issues and hyperdefinition/hyper-overconstraint issues for the spawnpoint placements.

once a v2 or v3 stable form emerges,

we'll then be able to make main-line overhauls and the Karma/AGI talking heads project

more directly interoperable... that way folks can have the faction and karma system function in FO4,

potentially leading to discrete gamestates such as

BoS + Railroad + Institute + Minutemen vs Bad Institute + Enclave + rogue factions etc.

no more Enclave-y BoS! hooray!

no more bs about liberty prime and nuking the Institute - Hooray!

I digress;

we want to get the number of possible combos of endgame or gamestates up

from the present ~664* (assuming particular mods already)

to closer to those thousands odd from FO3, FONV and FO:Tactics 2

as to Post #1 of this thread;

points 4, 8, 9, 10, 12. and 13

these are the outstanding key criteria areas,

and will be awesome to see how they're resolved.

I mean, if you can clear up just point 12 alone, you'd deserve a medal then SMB92.

point 12 is a lot of folks point 1, it's in the top 5 hehe.

------

now, the only question which came to mind,

even after the local LAN party and all,

was will War of the Commonwealth v 2,0

still be standalone, or will it be DLC-dependent from the get-go?

if the latter... will a non-DLC dependent variant of the project be envisaged?

this list in Post 1 seems a lot more DLC intensive than past discussions.

in a related technical tangent,

is point 8 going to be partially interoperable with "Robot Home Defense",

or, is it going to be an "either or" moment?

that could potentially be a source of bloat, or a conundrum for some folks;

either go with War of the Commonwealth, or Home Defense para Automatron lite, but not both as yet

Ah I should of clarified the DLC requirement, my bad. Initially the mod will be made without DLC content included, as I focus on the "bulk" of the content. It is easier for me to pass over on this after that stage, so as a result of methodology Non-DLC variants will exist. It's not much effort for me to copy scripts and the additional data later so workflow impact is minimal.

Regarding point 4, all that needs to happen here is attention to detail and control of checks. We add fragments directly to the quests that fire and set variables - criteria that has to be met for a spawn to, well spawn! But we don't touch vanilla we just wait for the call.

2 things we can't really avoid is persistence of the spawn points and certain latent functions. So I am going for the "machine gun" effect instead, effectively firing a lot of small scripts that won't hurt each other rather than having complex large scripts run the chance of all the things you mentioned. The limit then becomes the clock rate of your CPU and not the Papyrus/Creation engine "blowing the bank". The only thing that will run long will be timers ready to fire their events. These timers will also be armed to receive events and act accordingly, as they will act as a master for their respective area.

You begin to see, the hierarchy of a military in my design.

Not sure if you have seen this mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21248/?) The maker of raider overhaul is part of the development team. It may have absolutely no impact whatsoever on your mod in terms of placing spawns, however may be some frameworks of interest involved for NPCs themselves.

He also mentions that a large overhaul of his raider mod is being prepared soonish, with some potential tie in to the new NPC mod. Also seems that the restoration patch will be reincorporated into the next version.

Primitive version of Mod menu : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22491/?

I don't think it's at the stage yet to be very useful but you never know.

Also new beta of F4SE 3.1 released with multiple new functions (again, none may be applicable)

Hello from Greece. Sure, this is a very good, Mod, but cause problems with some quests, because the enemies, don't stop, to attack. Because of those attacks, the quest with Danse, at Police station, never complete, and he said always, watch out and something else. All those attacks, also cause problem at Finch Farm, when the missing brother, return and he must speak to his parents. The conversation, never complete, and then, i can't use, the workshop. Also, this mod, stop the dialogs, and must start over from the start. i don't use this mod and some other quest mods, because i return to i really like: build settlements, and the mods i choose, is 95% about build, things. That's all. Thanks.

@pickers101 - Good links thanks. NPC mod will work without much or any effort, but good to know there is plans on the Raider Overhaul and potentially new NPC/spawn mod. I won't make any dependencies until I see where that goes. Mostly require dependencies for "copied" NPC's and their lists respectively as I am preferring to keep persistence in the mod alone and avoid touching anything vanilla. I'll keep my eye on that MCM, that could very much apply to this mod.

@number72 - I won't be having any default spawns near important locations anymore, this causes more trouble than it's worth in (terms of complaints and bug reports). Instead, settlement patrols will be toggle-able and same for any "extra spawns" placed outside of key locations - these will have to be enabled by the user at their own discretion.

Okay bit of an update time!

I've finally finished the final system that I will roll out across the worldspaces. Here are the key features:

1. No more permanently persistent, or placed Leveled NPCs in the world(s).

2. No more long running background scripts. Everything is done on the fly in the loaded area you're in.

3. Performance hit decrease the less your settings are, no more having to suffer from excessively unnecessary code.

4. Much more customising of settings, including setting an overall preset for chance/amount as well as difficulty.

In regard to option 4, one thing about that is chance and amount sort of go hand in hand, there is no direct limit control, although spawn points will be limited in numbers anyway (not like WotC as is isn't, but I won't allow you to run a spawnpoint twice to double up those 16+ placed NPC points lmao).

I am gunning for 3 presets and 3 difficulties. This is manageable IMO. BTW the new mod will be called "Spawns of the Commonwealth", it's presets will be Fights of, War of and Carnage of the Commonwealth. Difficulties will be Normal, Hard and Get f***ed. No seriously I haven't decided a name for the last level but Survival would be somewhat fitting (because you'd be a rat among the cats lol). But in saying all this, I haven't decided how I will use Encounter Zones throughout, that is subject to debate.

Anyway, I know Fallout modding is nearly dead, but I thought I'd post an update after my success this evening.

EDIT - Forgot to mention, no more spawnpoints crossing multiple cells. Spawns and their controllers are done in the same cell as to reduce the chance of spawning out of loaded area even further. This is just something I picked up on when looking at WotC in the render window ;)