War of the Commonwealth 2.0

SMB92

All interesting progress and I'm glad to see.

As for modding scene I think rather than being in decline it's still in early stages. With new release for F4SE and new styles of mod like Sim settlements being released I'm sure there is much more to come now that more tools are available.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to post a mudmap for the regions I'm thinking of dividing the Commonwealth up into. The purposes of this are for setting reset timers, chances and allowed types per region, I'm also up for feedback on Encounter Zones (min/max levels per region or if it should be more regions and more EZ's, whether I should bother adding EZ's as an optional feature etc etc)

https://captagroup-my.sharepoint.com/personal/support_capta_com_au/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0f4e1d1be137c417f84ea37f522b2283c&authkey=AQAQsiYlKoA4pI33k_0BjCI&expiration=2017-05-30T23%3a04%3a00.000Z

@smb92

thanks for sharing this mudmap

tentatively, it appears not as prone to some conflicts and interoperability issues,

particularly with "Enclave Returns v,0,1,342"

and the UnderBoston beta.

key areas are near that Murkwater mirelurk queen, and near the Yangtze -

some mods altered that and it was causing CTDs immediately near those areas for a while.

War of the Commonwealth really gets players to explore more of the map,

and puts encounters in those 'dead-zones', where fewer encounter clusters might be.

some mods did change the encounter zone framework too,

and unfortunately there hasn't been as much collaboration there as with the Armor or Weapons parts packs "frameworks and standards" hehe.

It's a shame we can't learn more from; AC, Spore, ME:SoM etc.

I think it should be an optional part of the redo of this project, to increase it's future-proof interoperability with other mods.

though, that was a real awesome feature and ambitious part of the previous form of this project;

it added a whole heap of new battles and "scalable enemies" -

the challenge level should ideally be a get-that function, related both to the Protagonist's SPECIAL, and to their level

this way, the persuasion difficulty is also scalable hehe

-----

I'd like it if the encounter zones could be set on a caravan node,

to actually protect the settlement-to-settlement trade routes...

perhaps, with challenge code being increased for EZ's that are on where multiple trade routes Venn-overlap

eg, you design the trade routes to coincide with 4 of them intersecting at near Swan's Pond,

so 4 x the number of assailants would be required if they attack there at certain times of day.

It would be determined similarly to "Regulators of the Commonwealth" -

the distance that each caravan is from those overlap points will determine the number of attackers needed.

it will also weight which caravans are going to be attacked;

caravans that travel at night and with "skeleton crew" will be more likely to be attacked

than caravans that are larger.

though, skeleton crew Caravans can cover some distances a lot faster. (attackProbability are a function of nodes and time)

though, the RoI from a skeleton crew caravan or scaver crew

is greater than the heavy caravan, because you have to pay more and they keep a mercenari slice.

heavy caravans might intersect with many light caravans at key points and times,

to alter the number of assailants required... the Venn overlap is the deterrence.

each faction AGI has, like an RTS, a limited number of resources,

and RoI margin plays are what most raiders would be looking for.

I think the caravan and "railroad" opportunities are underdeveloped in base FO4 hehe.

the player can't get to everyone, so they'll need to co-ordinate with what they've got

and make decisions on who will get what resources allocated.

Good idea for the caravans, I feel that could be a mod of it's own however. I'd like to look at adding guard patrols to Caravans though.

The regions are there for maximum fine tuning each important part of the map Re: spawns. Here is an example list of settings you could set by region:

1. Area Difficulty

2. Area Preset (Preset is used to add extra spawns that are a touch harder than the set difficulty)

3. Max number of units allowed to spawn at a certain type regardless of preset (may actually take this setting out, as spawnpoints are presized at placement and we have "chance values" for dynamic size anyway)

4. Set the type of spawns allowed in that region (such as Random Large, Random Small, Ambush, Sniper etc)

5. Set if we want to reroll the dice if a spawn is blocked by user settings until something spawns

6. Set the chance of a particular enemy type from appearing at all (this affects potential group sizes outright but works real nice to dynamically size groups, give that real "random" feel)

7. Change mod added spawns reset timer (no intention to change vanilla settings here, I don't want whole area to respawn)

8. Chance that a spawnpoint might "activate again" spawning a second group at the same position (known as Spawn-a-War setting lol)

9. Disable everything in that area altogether.

10. Change the preset Encounter zone for the region (so far I'm offering 3 options, Normal - Harder - Off). The EZs only apply to mod added spawnpoints, however I'm investigating bugs with vanilla regarding EZs and possible savegame/cell resetting.

11. Control whether DLC content appears or not.

Basically each "region" is independently controlled by the user. WOTC had like 2-3 regions. If compatibility becomes a problem in a certain area, users flick that zone off until fixes are delivered ;)

I'm wondering if the map I've drawn up doesn't have enough regions, but it's a bit of effort to manage so many of them. 10 was what I settled for, but looking at it I can see 4 more divisions that could be made

I think would be nice have manual default enemy and spawn points options within holotap beside moded ones.

And ofcourse compatibility with Unique NPCs - An Overhaul of the Commonwealth by thirdstorm must be done.

That mod is legend alive.

And maybe Weaponsmith extended compatibility.

That's all.

Edited by Akutagawaw

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15973/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15910/?

These are pretty much it as far as faction paints go for robots, and neither modder set up any permissions for them so I don't know how much help they'll be. Regardless, can't wait to see this come to fruition, sounds like it'll be utterly amazing. You mentioned spawns changing based on story and quest progression and I hope you do something with the various raider gangs and their bosses. The terminal entries had me thinking I'd see a lot of conflict breaking out between raider gangs, especially the Beantown, Corvega, and National Guard Stockpile gangs, and I'd love to see some dynamic skirmishes or full on battles between them with the tide shifting based on which leaders have been killed, so the last leader has a veritable army around him, and an opportunistic scavver could prep himself for it by going back over the battlefields.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15973/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15910/?

These are pretty much it as far as faction paints go for robots, and neither modder set up any permissions for them so I don't know how much help they'll be. Regardless, can't wait to see this come to fruition, sounds like it'll be utterly amazing. You mentioned spawns changing based on story and quest progression and I hope you do something with the various raider gangs and their bosses. The terminal entries had me thinking I'd see a lot of conflict breaking out between raider gangs, especially the Beantown, Corvega, and National Guard Stockpile gangs, and I'd love to see some dynamic skirmishes or full on battles between them with the tide shifting based on which leaders have been killed, so the last leader has a veritable army around him, and an opportunistic scavver could prep himself for it by going back over the battlefields.

Great links, thanks. That's the kind of thing I wanted to use. Interesting idea on the raiders.

The first iteration of this mod will solely focus on the placement of random spawnpoints and the options to control those points. So we'll have Random, Ambush, Sniper and Settlement type spawn points, these will be mostly primitive in the fact they just spawn based on some predefined variables the player set, whether by preset or manually. Because I've opted to hand place these spawn points and setup a better hand placed patrol system, this will take some considerable time. Engager made some sort of auto-generated and placed spawn point system that he hasn't provided the source for, nor do I know how to code in VB6/UEStudio, and unfortunately I am only one person :D. Although I have made it a bit easier for myself using the "region" system as noted above, keep in mind I have 4 kids and I work full time.

After that bulk works is done, the door opens to opportunity to addon a lot more variables based ideas thrown around here. Things like these Raider tribes, caravans and other intricate things. I am also looking at some sort of integration with the Enclave mod somewhere down the line.

I'll have a look at the NPC overhaul mod at some point on the weekend, I'm hoping he has just extended the already present leveled actorbases. Raider Overhaul "just works" because of this so I'm hoping that is the same. Makes compatibility and setup so much breezier.

Not sure if you have seen this mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21248/?) The maker of raider overhaul is part of the development team. It may have absolutely no impact whatsoever on your mod in terms of placing spawns, however may be some frameworks of interest involved for NPCs themselves.

I an using that mod with WOTC now.

It dose not add new NPCs, but renames all settlers. It combines features with Better Settlers.( He has a patch for it).

The only small issue, and I can not pinpoint with WOTC, and Unique NPCs is the settler names are conflicting.

The author in Unique NPCs is helping me try to figure out where the conflict is, but it not on the top of his list right now.

I just thought I would mention this to hopefully avoid naming issues, or the possibility that a patch will be needed.

I had no intention of massively altering vanilla in any way, the concept if the mod is to integrate with anything. Mainly only checking or adding variables to some quest scripts ( probably through adding fragments) for this mod to check.

The mods i talk of integration with will be made optional now, I sorta realized I don't have to require the main ones ;).

I use Better Settlers (full version with all optionals) but I don't use the naming convention option so that information is useful to know because I had no idea, thanks.

Found a nice optimisation in my code last night to allow for setting a definable hard limit on the number of NPC spawns at a point type per region and also decrease the amount of markers involved by a fair amount! I'm rewriting it at work today and hopefully it works out good in testing over the weekend.