3DS Design 2013 - Collision Group - Missing Options

Hello All,

I have followed several tutorials and I have reached an impasse.

In this picture from the Door Creation Tutorial: https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Creating_Custom_Doors_for_Fallout_4#Advanced_Method_.28Custom_Collision_Objects.29

F4_Custom_Doors_10.png

Default Materials and Object Type populate.

missing-mat-obj.png

However in my picture - These are Blank.

I am using 3DS Max Design 2013 with the CK Bethesda Tools.

I do receive the following error when loading 3ds. The Bethesda Plugins are all I have installed for this build.

error1-3ds.png

I receive this error when Loading my mesh:

error2-3ds.png

I am not sure if these are symptoms to the problem, expected, or something else entirely.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You!

-SK

From all of my research the only thing that 3ds MAX Design 2013 Is missing is the SDK and has extra features for lighting.

Since the code base is 99% identical with 3ds Max 2013. Why do I need to use MAX and NOT Max Design?

Is it the SDK that is required? Can anyone confirm 100%?

If that is a yes....

Anyone have a tutorial on using another version of MAX - say 2016 to create collision?

Sorry mate, but not really. While it might work for 2014 (though it sure throws errors there), I doubt very much that it will work for anything else. And no, 2015+ definitely don't work with the beth plugin. There is some skyrim attempt new on nexus, might be worth looking at.

I have tested this on a friend's computer - you sir are quite right. I suppose the SDK is required for this to work.

Bit the bullet. Bought a copy through the subscription program.

Autodesk really should give you a discount for the stand alone copies.

Regardless. Thank you!

They should offer students the chance to go for older versions.. sadly you'll have a hard time getting the 2014 and lower versions without paying.

Yep, talked to them a few weeks ago.

Anywho, after going through 3 people, they *will not offer* students 2013 at all.

...they eventually stopped replying. =P

Might try short subscription myself, but with only 9-10 things I want to do, that's a hard pill to swallow/tough on the pocketbook.

Actually looking again, if I did the subscription, just talk to them and request the 2013?

(Option to do so is not obvious)

...not that I look forward to chatting with them again...wasn't bad, just too much back-and-forth, this person to that person, miss this call miss that chat...=/

I've never had to deal with them for old-older versions before, only ever for newer /currently support d ones and their sales department for longer term/larger buys.

Hello people, I would like to ask for help here since my case is very similiar. I have empty collision group list too, installed on 3Ds Max 2013 (product version 15.0 commercial) with Havok and NIF exporter from Fallout 4 tools folder (readme steps are followed for sure).

The installation was succesfull in my opinion, never had any errors, and everything works fine exept for the missing collision groups. I believe the problem is in the Havok SDK I installed or with it's conflicts with something in my system perhaps, but I cannot figure it out.

I tried 2 versions of Havok SDK so far:

1) HavokContentTools_2014-1-0_20140830_64Bit_PcXs.exe

2) HavokContentTools_2013-1-0_20130717_64Bit_PcXs.exe

• 2 years later...

Don't mean to resurrect a dead thread but the plugins/scripts do partially work, obviously the steps listed below use my directories, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out where you need to copy/move things to.

Bethesda's installer will put configuration files in AppData

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2013 - 64bit\

Open the 3dsmax.ini using notepad append its contents into the 3dsmax.ini found at

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2013 - 64bit\

Copy the folder

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2013 - 64bit\ENU\en-US

into

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2013 - 64bit\ENU

Bethesdas installer will install their plugins in

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds max 2013\

copy everything inside that folder to

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\

In windows go to System Properties > Environment Variables > System Variables and make sure the Variable "path" has

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\BGS\Libs

in it somewhere. I've tried changing this to reflect the files being moved/copied to

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\plugins\BGS\Libs but it doesn't really make a difference, and does not fix the crashing problem mentioned later in this post.

Lastly you need to run 3ds Max Design and add path to the Shaders folder (as stated in the readme included with Bethesda's installer)

Customize > Configure User Paths... > External files > Add...

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\plugins\BGS\Shaders

If you don't do this last part and try to use any of the BS shader types in the material editor 3ds Max will crash.

You must use a BS type shader on any geometry you want to send to a .nif or only objects which have Bethesda scripts ran on them from the Utilities panel will be exported. Bethesda's scripts may look like they do nothing when you press Apply To Selected or whatever the button to commit changes is at the utilities panel, there is text embedded to objects in the viewport after running a utility. To verify that Bethesda's utility scripts do work right click on the object you apply them to and choose Object Properties > User Defined.

There is one problem with this workaround-you can't import Fallout 4 meshes with Miscellaneous >Use Niftools Shader option checked at the Import Nif dialog; if you try to use the eye dropper on an imported mesh with this option checked 3ds Max Design will throw an exception and close. Make sure to uncheck this before importing any Fo4 models and it will force use of the standard shader. When you export do apply a BSLightingFX material type from the material editor to your meshes. I highly recommend just using the standard shader's diffuse texture slot to view your albedo/color texture in the viewport, and then when you are ready to export follow the previous step using empty BSLightingFX material(s). Save copies before/after you apply a BSLightingFX material, I don't know if using the eyedropper on a newly created BSLightingFX material will crash later when you reload the scene-sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. In NifSkope remove the BSLightingShaderProperty exported from max and copy it from one of Fo4's original nifs and redirect the paths in the BSShaderTextureSet to your desired textures. Don't bother trying to use a file directly exported from max without replacing it with a clean BSLightingShaderProperty-it will crash the CK and your game.

If anyone figures out how to be able to use the Niftools Shader option please share. I have a feeling it might have something to do with ClassIDs having mismatching versions between 2013/Design 2013 in reference to the DirectX_9_Shader extended by Bethesda's maxscripts. You don't need the 3ds Max SDK installed to use these plugins.

Remember to export to Fo4 using the Gamebryo exporter and not Netimmerse/Gamebryo, don't forget to run Elric on your nifs in the CK tools folder or your collisions won't be in the right format and give you the exclamation error symbol in game.

Anyone tinkering with the configuration files in AppData needs to know that / forward and \ backslashes matter. For whatever stupid reason maxscript or Bethesda's compiled plugins do break if you change the paths and use the wrong type of slash. Autodesk does not document this very well as evidenced by:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-programming/stupid-error-file-not-found/td-p/5651754

Edited by drywater509

• 10 months later...

Don't mean to resurrect a dead thread but the plugins/scripts do partially work, obviously the steps listed below use my directories, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out where you need to copy/move things to.

Bethesda's installer will put configuration files in AppData

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2013 - 64bit\

Open the 3dsmax.ini using notepad append its contents into the 3dsmax.ini found at

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2013 - 64bit\

Copy the folder

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2013 - 64bit\ENU\en-US

into

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMaxDesign\2013 - 64bit\ENU

Bethesdas installer will install their plugins in

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds max 2013\

copy everything inside that folder to

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\

In windows go to System Properties > Environment Variables > System Variables and make sure the Variable "path" has

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\plugins\BGS\Libs

in it somewhere. I've tried changing this to reflect the files being moved/copied to

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\plugins\BGS\Libs but it doesn't really make a difference, and does not fix the crashing problem mentioned later in this post.

Lastly you need to run 3ds Max Design and add path to the Shaders folder (as stated in the readme included with Bethesda's installer)

Customize > Configure User Paths... > External files > Add...

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max Design 2013\plugins\BGS\Shaders

If you don't do this last part and try to use any of the BS shader types in the material editor 3ds Max will crash.

You must use a BS type shader on any geometry you want to send to a .nif or only objects which have Bethesda scripts ran on them from the Utilities panel will be exported. Bethesda's scripts may look like they do nothing when you press Apply To Selected or whatever the button to commit changes is at the utilities panel, there is text embedded to objects in the viewport after running a utility. To verify that Bethesda's utility scripts do work right click on the object you apply them to and choose Object Properties > User Defined.

There is one problem with this workaround-you can't import Fallout 4 meshes with Miscellaneous >Use Niftools Shader option checked at the Import Nif dialog; if you try to use the eye dropper on an imported mesh with this option checked 3ds Max Design will throw an exception and close. Make sure to uncheck this before importing any Fo4 models and it will force use of the standard shader. When you export do apply a BSLightingFX material type from the material editor to your meshes. I highly recommend just using the standard shader's diffuse texture slot to view your albedo/color texture in the viewport, and then when you are ready to export follow the previous step using empty BSLightingFX material(s). Save copies before/after you apply a BSLightingFX material, I don't know if using the eyedropper on a newly created BSLightingFX material will crash later when you reload the scene-sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. In NifSkope remove the BSLightingShaderProperty exported from max and copy it from one of Fo4's original nifs and redirect the paths in the BSShaderTextureSet to your desired textures. Don't bother trying to use a file directly exported from max without replacing it with a clean BSLightingShaderProperty-it will crash the CK and your game.

If anyone figures out how to be able to use the Niftools Shader option please share. I have a feeling it might have something to do with ClassIDs having mismatching versions between 2013/Design 2013 in reference to the DirectX_9_Shader extended by Bethesda's maxscripts. You don't need the 3ds Max SDK installed to use these plugins.

Remember to export to Fo4 using the Gamebryo exporter and not Netimmerse/Gamebryo, don't forget to run Elric on your nifs in the CK tools folder or your collisions won't be in the right format and give you the exclamation error symbol in game.

Anyone tinkering with the configuration files in AppData needs to know that / forward and \ backslashes matter. For whatever stupid reason maxscript or Bethesda's compiled plugins do break if you change the paths and use the wrong type of slash. Autodesk does not document this very well as evidenced by:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-programming/stupid-error-file-not-found/td-p/5651754

I must say you are a lifesaver mister drywater509