BlueGunk

Please, I need some help eliminating screen flicker. Here's the detail:

Win 10

Nvidia GTX 980ti

Sin Extreme ENB (Dolomite)

Fully modded game

1080x2560 screen Acer Predator

Nvidia Clocks and Profile in use.

I got my game to exactly where I want it but for one weeny problem. When I turn slowly in game I get a very rapid flicker in what appears to be shadows pulsing from lighter to darker. It stops the moment I stop moving.

I have seen it happen with a couple of ENBs (it is an ENB generated artefact), and I have dropped a couple of ENBs because of it. But having got my game how I want it I would really like to resolve what causes this.

It's very noticeable in daylight in forested areas around trees, less so with open spaces, and does not occur with looking at the sky. I'm pretty sure it is a shadows issue.

I did see someone mention exactly this flicker in a forum, but I cannot now trace that using Google and other search engines. I wish I had book marked it :sad:

I made a video to show you, but it does not show up on the video! How frustrating is that?! Agh!

I have tried every variant of TAA, FXAA, MFAA, Vsync, pre-rendered frames, blah blah blah.

Why would shadows "pulse" with steady movement panning across a screen? It's like the shadow starts light, renders to darker before the next frame renders.

In hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

I've noticed exactly the same thing too. It drives me nuts. Its definitely an ENB issue and its worse whenever the brightness/contrast is increased. Boris has stated ENB is in development limbo until bethesda stop releasing updates afaik. Its one of main things that put me off SE (the other being the lack of SKSE)

Why would shadows "pulse" with steady movement panning across a screen? It's like the shadow starts light, renders to darker before the next frame renders.

I think thats exactly whats happening and that its something that only Boris can fix.

EDIT: got it! Its a combination of TAA and SharpScale in DoF or LumaSharpen. Either way TAA+sharpen = flickering. Replace TAA with FXAA or disable SharpScale under Depth of Field settings (ENB settings). Thats it.

Edited by soupdragon1234

I use an ENB and had a similar issue - then I found a note in the enb's description that said if you see flickers in shadows and edges of screen crank up you AA settings. So I went into NVIDIA control panel and maxed out all AA and texture settings for the game exe and presto - no more flickers. Your results may vary, but posting this just in case. I use the Re Engaged enb for vivid weathers and it is awesome - game looks stunning and runs like buttah.... and no more flicker. Try this enb if you haven't and follow his instructions for this issue.

Edited by KurganSPK

• 3 months later...

Are you using ELFX mod for lighting if you are it could be the cause I was also having that problem too. Try moving it lower in your load order after other lighting and shadow mods.

I use an ENB and had a similar issue - then I found a note in the enb's description that said if you see flickers in shadows and edges of screen crank up you AA settings. So I went into NVIDIA control panel and maxed out all AA and texture settings for the game exe and presto - no more flickers. Your results may vary, but posting this just in case. I use the Re Engaged enb for vivid weathers and it is awesome - game looks stunning and runs like buttah.... and no more flicker. Try this enb if you haven't and follow his instructions for this issue.

Hi KurganSPK ... I am also using Re-engaged ENB with Vivid Weathers for the last couple of days and I having kind of the same problem .. what do you mean when you said "crank up your AA settings" please " What exactly you did please ?

Thanks