The CK and legal problems left and right

jaysus

honestly I do not see micro transations happening for skyrim, It would cause too much legal issues. what is to happen if two mods that do the same things are released? Would bethesda support both or only one? what happens if someone tries to make a mod to fix issues with said mod that has micro transations attached? would mod then need micro transations to support said mod? What happens if said mod author decides to stop support for said mod? will it conflict with user asking for money back, would bethesda then need to support said mod when author doesn't? there are too many factors alone to incorperate micro trasations for such a popular game, it just wouldn't be practical. If bethesda would incorperate anyones work for the game it would be only bethesda that would see any income. Bethesda or any company is not concerned to help anyone profit from their games.

Told you before Arthmoor I won't argue with you anymore. Anything i do and say should just be fantasy to you.

Just think of me as hallucinating or maybe temporary insane. lol

Because you always have the answers to everything.

Make a completely bogus claim, expect to be called on it. Simple as that. Cause it sounded as paranoid and conspiratorial as the whole "they're sealing all our mods" stuff.

@arthmoor you don't know anything about me or who I am. For all anyone knows i could be some nobody who just mods bethesda games for the heck of it, or I could be part of the board of staff that owns almost half of bethesda. If you google your name you know everything about Arthmoor because Arthmoor has made over 10+ webpages about himself letting people know of arthmoors accomplishments and who he is. Just something you should think about. Animity is a powerful way to be perceived than public knowledge.

Edited by colourwheel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all anyone knows i could be some nobody who just mods bethesda games for the heck of it

Yep, sounds about right.

, or I could be part of the board of staff that owns almost half of bethesda.

Nope, don't think so.

If you google your name you know everything about Arthmoor because Arthmoor has made over 10+ webpages about himself letting people know of arthmoors accomplishments and who he is. Just something you should think about. Animity is a powerful way to be perceived than public knowledge.

I'm sure you must have had a point to make, but for the life of me I can't see what it was. See, I don't have all the answers.

The pertinent part of the EULA:

If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials [Mods], You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit,"

Basically, what this says is, if you use the CK to release your work, it now belongs to beth. Doesn't matter if that new mesh you made was made in blender, 3dsmax, or whathaveyou, if you use the CK to put it in the game, and then release the mod, ALL of it now belongs to beth.

That part of the EULA is actually standard boiler plate stuff that gives them the option to run an official mod site and distribute your mods from it. Something which has only just now become reality with the Workshop.

This can't grant them copyright over your work, you can only transfer that via written document under US law. Their agreement also can only apply to things directly created by the program. Not simply attached by proxy the way custom assets would be.

That part of the EULA is actually standard boiler plate stuff that gives them the option to run an official mod site and distribute your mods from it. Something which has only just now become reality with the Workshop.

This can't grant them copyright over your work, you can only transfer that via written document under US law. Their agreement also can only apply to things directly created by the program. Not simply attached by proxy the way custom assets would be.

That's not the way I read it...... Of course, this is just a mental exercise, until such time as we actually have some case law to go from.

Personally, I see the CK EULA as more of a CYA thing for beth, than anything else. Gives them the right to copy ideas, and such, from modders, without getting themselves into legal entanglements. I seriously doubt the day will ever come when beth takes some modders work directly, and puts it in any game.

That's not the way I read it...... Of course, this is just a mental exercise, until such time as we actually have some case law to go from.

Personally, I see the CK EULA as more of a CYA thing for beth, than anything else. Gives them the right to copy ideas, and such, from modders, without getting themselves into legal entanglements. I seriously doubt the day will ever come when beth takes some modders work directly, and puts it in any game.

It is as Arthmoor says... it's typical of all EULAs that cover similar situations, very boiler plate. You are confusing the words "rights" and "license". A "license" doesn't grant them ownership or control of your work in any way. All it means is they get a license to do what the EULA says without having to pay you for it. And, if you carefully consider what I'm about to say you'll probably agree... don't they deserve that right? They have provided you with a free license to make and distribute your materials, it's only right that they reserve a free license to materials you've been granted permission by them to create using their tools for their game containing their copyrights and trademarks. You still retain ownership of your content.

Can we first of all stop the useless bickering, and second of all stick to the facts and not spread lies or half-truths without substantiating the claims. I'm all for wanting to know if mod authors have been wronged by any site, let alone Bethesda/Steam, but if you have no proof of this, please don't mention it, because it serves as fuel for those too weak-willed to understand that there are always two sides to a story. There are sites out there that allow this very talk about the Nexus, allowing idle lies and rumours to spread. I don't want this site to do the same.

I have never seen a Bethesda staff member or moderator belittle or insult mod authors or their work either on the official sites or on any site. If you have proof of such actions please share it. If you don't, then don't spread false rumours.

Thank you.

The pertinent part of the EULA:

If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials [Mods], You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit,"

Basically, what this says is, if you use the CK to release your work, it now belongs to beth. Doesn't matter if that new mesh you made was made in blender, 3dsmax, or whathaveyou, if you use the CK to put it in the game, and then release the mod, ALL of it now belongs to beth.

The term 'New Materials' as actually defined in the EULA is anything you create IN the CK.

If they defined New Materials as anything you merely associate with their game, such as your HHD and it's contents, then we would have a problem.