Simple kf animated mesh.

Hey guys, could somebody please take a look at my nif file and see what I'm doing wrong?

I can not for the life of me get the animation to play with the proper controller setup. I've been using 'DLC04MonoRail01.nif' as a reference. In the nifskope window, I can choose the animation and it will cycle. It's running for the correct time expected. I seem to have everything set up, but the animations just will not play for the mesh.

I've attached the nif/kf file.

Many thanks!

Edited by cypher2012

Attached is what I have so far.

The animation sequence is now showing up in the drop down box in nifskope. The cube SHOULD rotate but it's not.

The nif won't open in creation kit either. It keeps crashing.

Any ideas?

Edited by cypher2012

So I just reloaded Nifskope with the nif file attached in my last post. The animation is actually playing properly. Now I just need to figure out why it's crashing in the creation kit.

Edited by cypher2012

Is it the Animation or the Mesh itself crashing?

At what point does it crash? Are you only loading the Fallout4.esm and DLC04.esm?

Where are you placing the object? and what kind of object are you creating?

for all my test - I run them first in QASmoke (if the area needs to be bigger - just move some stuff around or add floor)

Is it the Animation or the Mesh itself crashing?

At what point does it crash? Are you only loading the Fallout4.esm and DLC04.esm?

Where are you placing the object? and what kind of object are you creating?

for all my test - I run them first in QASmoke (if the area needs to be bigger - just move some stuff around or add floor)

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure what part is causing the crash.

I've tried to open the nif in creation kit two ways:

- Double clicking the nif directly which opens up a creation kit preview window

- Loading up creation kit, loading Fallout4/Nuka world esp files and then creating a new static mesh, edit nif, then it crashes when I select my nif file

As soon as I try to open the nif file in the creation kit, it crashes

It's also worth noting that I've placed the file in under data/meshes/test/

Edited by cypher2012

The directory in this case shouldn't matter as long as the items are in the meshes/materials/textures directory respectively.

I glanced at the nif. Did you copy a lot from the reference nif? Does the nif load without animations attached?

Now you say static mesh... static means no animations? At least to my understanding. Granted you'd think if it was static it would ignore the animations attached but this engine doesn't always use 'advanced 'logic''

When I have a moment i'll load the nif in CK and see if I get the same crash.

The directory in this case shouldn't matter as long as the items are in the meshes/materials/textures directory respectively.

I glanced at the nif. Did you copy a lot from the reference nif? Does the nif load without animations attached?

Now you say static mesh... static means no animations? At least to my understanding. Granted you'd think if it was static it would ignore the animations attached but this engine doesn't always use 'advanced 'logic''

When I have a moment i'll load the nif in CK and see if I get the same crash.

So turns out it was the material that was causing it to crash.

I deleted the material from the nif. I managed to then open up the nif and solve a couple of errors related to the animations.

With the material deleted, I can double click the file to open preview window. Animations still don't show up though.

The animation is working fine in Nifskope though

I used to think - Nah Textures - ya don't need them until you are ready. The game will just display the mesh without textures... NOPE! (at least in all my experience of very little :happy:)

For custom textures - having proper .DDS with _D _N _S and BGSM (material) is very important.

You can call on existing textures if you just need it to display but you will definitely need the textures to display your mesh.

I used to think - Nah Textures - ya don't need them until you are ready. The game will just display the mesh without textures... NOPE! (at least in all my experience of very little :happy:)

For custom textures - having proper .DDS with _D _N _S and BGSM (material) is very important.

You can call on existing textures if you just need it to display but you will definitely need the textures to display your mesh.

I can't seem to add ANY material without it crashing.

I've tried vanilla materials and a test material I've set up with test textures.

I'm using BSLightingShaderProperty + BSShaderTextureSet. All set up to point to the correct materials/textures.

Man this is driving me nuts!

Finally got it to work.

Stupid me had forgotten to UV unwrap the mesh. I also should not have un-checked VF_Skinned under the VF option.

That was the final thing to fix. I finally have a custom, from scratch, animated cube! Woop ;)