Collisions/Nif - Wrapping my head around this.

Hello All,

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the collision aspect in nif. Collision works great however the mesh is off center after exporting from 3DS Max to .Nif and viewed in game.

mis-alligned1.png

If I apply in Transformation for the BSFadeNode 90,160,60 - the mesh shows up correctly in game however the collision is still in the old spot.

mis-alligned2.png

So I adjust the BSTrishape Translation. Still no change in the collision however the mesh is showing correctly still but shows up in the Nif with double the translation value.

mis-alligned3.png

mis-alligned4.png

I am assuming that the shadow wire frame seen there is the collision or something.

Collision works great and is the mesh however I need it all to be match the same coordinates.

Any advise would be great.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

-SK

Well I get xform errors when I don't collapse so that might answer the question.

Anyway - I reset the Pivot Point. Then Reset XFORM and Collapsed To.

reset-pivot-xform.jpg

Now its too High! heh heh.
Something I am not understanding during Bes Conversion to nif....

You need to fix the pivot for both shapes before anything. Would be even better if you zeroed the mesh itself, then reset the xform, collapsed, then added the collision modifier.

After resetting everything to default and reapplying the Havok Data... I realized that...

Maybe the problem is not really the mesh so much as it's placement in CK... Even if the mesh doesn't appear as 0,0,0 I can always adjust it there...

Now originally I was going for a simple mesh swap - haven't seen it in the world. But really? Maybe I was just being lazy. Dunno - but of course this mesh is a different size than the original and thus the original placement might have diff coords/transforms.

Regardless - keeping things clean as Ethreon has suggested is still a best practice. :) Thank you. (again and I am sure many more times)

Also - Thank you BlaBlaDEEBlahBlah.

One thing you can do is make a new NiNode as a child to your base (0) node, then throw the BSTrisShape in it, and move the collision data to it (make sure it is no longer attached to the base node as a collision object). Then you can apply a translation to the NiNode, and it will move both the collision and the visible mesh.

As long as the lowest part of your mesh , you should be fine, and won't need to make any changes to the placed reference if you are just doing a replacer.

If you want to fix the mesh in 3ds max instead of nifskope (it is a little cleaner that way), and aren't sure how to set the pivot to "zero the mesh":

1) Select the "Hierarchy" Tab (Next to Modify)

2) "Affect Pivot Only"

3) Set the pivot point to 0,0,0