DA:O Noob Very Basic Questions

ebonmort

Working from memory here and I'm kind of rusty on DAO mechanics, but IIRC, the currently controlled character doesn't usually use tactics, though there are mods which add that capabilty. You can disable tactics for a character. It's a box that can be ticked/unticked, at the bottom left of the tactics screen (Again, IIRC).

Double-clicking on a poison or coating applies it to the weapon(s) of the character, and an icon showing the active poison appears on the quickbar, with any effects active on that character... the icon acts as a timer, showing a countdown of the effect's duration, and will show as what looks like a grey box, initially.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. "Deathroot" is a required raw ingredient for a variety of useful things, (poisons) but not a "useful thing" itself.

2. Yes, if you "Clear" the Tactics rows, the character will basically stand still until directly controlled (or killed. :tongue: )

(The wiki is your friend. :thumbsup: )

Ninja'd by Thandal (story of my life :laugh:), but my pedantry forces me to point out that 'Deathroot Extract' is a Rank 1 crafted poison that is useful. (Albeit marginally so.)

1) Sorry. Wasn't clear. I made a poison from deathroot (Deathroot extract). Just can't figure out how to use it. Same goes for the extra "Venom" I had in Lothering. How to I apply a poison to a weapon?

Exactly the same way you'd use any consumable, like a health potion, salve, etc. (Double-clicking in the inventory screen, single-clicking if the consumable is accessible from the quickbar... the latter is most efficient for use in the heat of battle. And they can also be assigned to a quickslot.)

Note that a character requires at least one rank in Poison-Making to use poisons or coatings. (Or bombs/flasks, for that matter.) And poisons can only be used on blades, not on bows.

Thanks for the additional clarification, tsm! :thumbsup:

Also note that like most other "effects" that get applied to things (characters, as well as items) once applied poisons and coatings have a timer. They "wear off" after a specified period.

The character employing them will have a status icon appear on the interface. It will slowly (but sometimes all too quickly!) display the remaining time in the familiar clock-sweep fashion (like a spell cool-down) flashing near it's end, then disappearing when no longer in effect. :cool:

1) Sorry. Wasn't clear. I made a poison from deathroot (Deathroot extract). Just can't figure out how to use it. Same goes for the extra "Venom" I had in Lothering. How to I apply a poison to a weapon?

Exactly the same way you'd use any consumable, like a health potion, salve, etc. (Double-clicking in the inventory screen, single-clicking if the consumable is accessible from the quickbar... the latter is most efficient for use in the heat of battle. And they can also be assigned to a quickslot.)

Note that a character requires at least one rank in Poison-Making to use poisons or coatings. (Or bombs/flasks, for that matter.) And poisons can only be used on blades, not on bows.

So, Alistair doesn't have poison making. Does that mean he can't coat his weapons AFTER Leliana makes the poison? Or, he just can't make it himself?

So, Alistair doesn't have poison making. Does that mean he can't coat his weapons AFTER Leliana makes the poison? Or, he just can't make it himself?

Yes. He needs at least one point in Poison-Making to coat his weapons (and to use bombs/flasks).

So, I'm out of Lothering and in to Base Camp. The "Natural Bodies" and "Better Sex" mods worked fine (meaning I didn't mess up their downloads <g>. But Bodahn is a supreme rip-off artist! Charges more for ANY item than ANY previous vendor did. And, not even close!

Is this because he's conveniently always nearby?

Edited by ebonmort

I am playing Elissa Cousland; the warrior who has the specialization of Templar and Champion. My question is about weapon set. My strength is up with Alistair's but I am slow to get the weapon I really need because of my dexterity. I play with the duelist for 1st weapon set and then the bow for the second weapon set. Is this the proper weapon selection for this character because I am trying to build her for battle.