Institutionalized Bug, Need Help

gmg2dave

Ok, I just got into the Institute, took the elevator down, talked to Shaun and Father walked in and said some code but then... nothing. Can't talk to Shaun, can't talk to Father. If I try it says "this character is busy." Tried waiting in the chair, tried re-loading a earlier save and did it all over again, same result, the quest just stops at that point.

I've done some searching, and I am not in power armor, nor am I wearing anything that highlights enemies which according to the Wiki, might screw up the quest. But there's nothing on the Wiki about the quest freezing at this stage.

I've tried using the console command SetStage MQ207 40 which is supposed to advance it to where Father walks in, hoping that that would unfreeze them and allow me to continue, but nothing happens. I've also tried using SetStage MQ207 150 which is supposed to advance the quest to where you can now go meet the Division leaders, but this unfortunately just skips the dialogue with Father and I still cannot talk to him.

The only thing I can think of that might have messed i up is I used the holotape from Sturges (going with the Minutemen) on the computer where you first teleport in, before getting on the elevator. But I haven't been able to find anything about this bugging the quest either.

At a bit of a loss here. Really want to complete this quest as this is the farthest I have gotten in a playthrough with the main quest. So, any ideas as to what is going on here?

Without spoiling too much:
You gotta find an item to pick up.
Then the story/event will continue.

I know your feeling, been hanging there for an hour (felt, not rt) or so too :tongue:
If i recall correctly, its on the table right.

Hope this helps

edit: misread where he stuck..

Edited by Sephrajin

Funnily enough I just played that too. I loaded the holotape then went to father without any problem. I cannot recall picking anything up off a table.

since I loot everything that isn't nailed down, couldn't figure out what he was talking about either

Funnily enough I just played that too. I loaded the holotape then went to father without any problem. I cannot recall picking anything up off a table.

since I loot everything that isn't nailed down, couldn't figure out what he was talking about either

The only odd thing that happened was that when Father told me to use the elevator I got in and pressed the button a couple of times but it said "Elevator access denied". Only on about the fourth attempt did it work.

I have had one odd thing happen. I accessed the Institute with the Minutemen but refused to side with the Railroad and didn't speak to the Brotherhood at all about it. I played Bunker Hill and didn't inform either faction, just recovered the Synths. When it came to Mass Fusion I went in with the Brotherhood then the "Banished From The Institute" quest was flagged up but I didn't do it and it just disappeared. I in a sort of limbo at the moment I guess .

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem. The boy is supposed to shut down after Father says the code but he doesn't. This is why they are both 'busy', the script is stuck waiting for the kid to power off.

None of the console commands to advance the quest or reset the AI do anything. I did get the quest to advance by killing Father and using the console to resurrect him, but this made everyone else in the institute hostile. This was funny, but not the outcome I wanted. Attempted to fix the hostility with other console commands but no success. Also tried various console commands on the kid but no joy. There doesn't seem to be a way to interrupt the running script.

As far as I can tell from internet searches there is no solution reported for this bug. I've never had any problems with this quest before. The only difference this time around is the addition of Nuka-World DLC to my game, but I can't see why that would cause a bug in the Institute.

Guess its back to Vault 111 to wait for the end of the world ..... again.

Back again.

The following console commands will fix this problem but I don't know whether other problems will happen later on after doing this.

Enter these commands into the console -

resetquest mq207

completequest mq207

startquest inst301

Now talk to Father.

To open the locked door on the landing upstairs into the Institute enter 000ca895.unlock

Other Institute doors will still be locked, so use the console unlock command to open them.

• 2 months later...

This workaround did it for me. INSTEAD OF speaking to Shaun behind the glass (which you likely did more than once already while trying to figure out this crap, like me! *lol*), put in this console command:

setstage mq207 40

Father will walk in and immediately give the code. Shaun will get up and immediately shut down, and the quest progresses normally.

Edited by Blazerdragoon

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem. The boy is supposed to shut down after Father says the code but he doesn't. This is why they are both 'busy', the script is stuck waiting for the kid to power off.

None of the console commands to advance the quest or reset the AI do anything. I did get the quest to advance by killing Father and using the console to resurrect him, but this made everyone else in the institute hostile. This was funny, but not the outcome I wanted. Attempted to fix the hostility with other console commands but no success. Also tried various console commands on the kid but no joy. There doesn't seem to be a way to interrupt the running script.

As far as I can tell from internet searches there is no solution reported for this bug. I've never had any problems with this quest before. The only difference this time around is the addition of Nuka-World DLC to my game, but I can't see why that would cause a bug in the Institute.

Guess its back to Vault 111 to wait for the end of the world ..... again.

Quiero agregar que todo lo que dice Stranger el el 10 de julio resulta, pero si aun así no logras entrar, solo abre la consola y tipea: player.moveto 0005c337 (esto te teletrasportará junto a PADRE y podrás continuar el juego)