The evolution of gamers and gaming

AdamRundolf001

For me big revolution it's when we play all games and don't get profit, but now there is a lot of possibilities to take advantage. For example, CSGO you play, waste your time and get skins and cases, which you can sell and make a real money or other skins. But today I have read about DMarket. It's the only idea based on blockchain technology. The central concept it's to create global marketplace in-game items with all games in the world. Interesting. The primary currency will be their own - DMarket Coin.

The mechanics don't make an RPG, at least in my opinion. Dialogue choice, and player agency make an RPG.

I couldn't agree more and this where Skyrim and Fallout 4 fail as RPGs, there are no meaningful choices dialogue or otherwise, none with any real consequences. Both games let you run around doing whatever you like but if there are no consequences for anything you do what's the point? you might as well play GTA or Saints Row. Both FO4 and Skyrim suffer from having no reputation system, that means nothing you do matters, the world doesn't react so the world is no more than a movie set. Both are good games but awful RPGs, to be honest I don't think Bethesda want to make RPGs, they keep removing the RPG parts of their games and putting other stuff in, the fact that they removed skills and added minecraft to Fallout 4 says it all.

Not sure how I missed this thread, and sorry for the late response, but just wanted to say the above nails my own problem with FO4 and Skyrim better than anything I've ever read. I don't have any problem with immersion in games in general, but I was unable to emotionally invest in any character in those two games. Or GTA for that matter. All three, and a rather long list of other dystopian titles have been collecting dust for years on our shelves. When I think good time, pimping for ghoul cowboy prostitution is toward the very bottom of my list. :smile:

As for the discussion topic, I think VR is forcing some evolutionary and long overdue changes in video games. The last 30 years have seen nothing but a bazillion different variations on the exact same theme: save X from Y by killing or disposing of Y. The only changes over the decades have been in game length and graphics quality, but until VR came along, the industry was never able to develop PCs or consoles into anything more than target shooters.

Edited by TheMastersSon