Do I need to navmesh the entire exterior worldspace? or just the parts where there will be enemies? Is there anything different about navmeshing an exterior than an interior? This is a custom worldspace, and i have navmeshed interiors before. Just curious if I'm going to have to look forward to navmeshing the entirety of my custom worldspace or not

THANKS!

It's a good idea to do it, but you don't have to do it all by hand.

Just go to navmesh - generation - havok based generation, it will do it automatically.

Then just clean up where you definitely need npcs to go.

I find that in big areas this works well, and in small ones helps saves time.

But in small areas it is best to give it a good going over.

Hope that helps.

:smile:

Edited by moriartykain

Navmesh in the exterior is done cell by cell. You can press the 'B' key when in the render window to see the cell borders. Make sure you finalize cells, or NPC's won't be able to walk from one cell to another. Sometimes the links between cells aren't nicely done and don't finalize well and attach to each other. You've really got to look at each cell, even if you auto-generate a worldspace navmesh, which I've only gotten to work a few times, and I've had to redo almost all 1,000 cells in my worldspace mostly by hand. It's a pain in the butt to get exterior navmesh working just the way you want it you have a fairly large worldspace.

Every navmesh expert I've heard has said that auto-generating navmesh will cause more problems and cost more time to fix than just navmeshing by hand. I recommend this tutorial, it's the best navmesh tutorial I've seen and it covers external navmeshing quite well including handling cell borders, how to handle water, slightly sinking navmesh as needed on uneven ground etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JGpfOLiLic

No matter how you do it, it's not gonna be fun. =/

But yeah, *I* still prefer to auto generate (not Havok, the other one) and then manually check it all.

Clicking N key while in navmesh mode to view only one cell can help.

While in navmesh mode, Ctrl+f can also help (was it ctrl+F or L that let you find errors per cell? One of those).

W key can also be helpful.

Edit: And don't forget to finalize.

I'm just saying...we've all forgotten once or twice, no matter what people say. ;-)

new world space depends on how many cells you use, for just simple wilderness the auto will do (just check borders before finalize)

placing a lot of stuff houses cars trailers ect auto will do to, but you prolly have to adjust and or check all stairs (auto f'up this most of the time)

most of the time i used 1-4 cells max and alway used auto for nav, loaded the mod dropped xx npc, placed chairs ect and watched if all worked like intended

but if you know all shortkey manual will do fine to, and you prolly have to do it only 1 time

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig this one up but I just don't get Navmesh in FO4, insofar as, even just "looking" at the Navmesh for a current cell seems to invoke the regeneration of the Navmesh for the entire commonwealth in some instances. Of course, because I haven't actually touched anything I just remove that branch using FO4Edit. It would however be nice to re-do a cell or cells properly, though, instead of building as I do to compliment the existing Navmesh. Nah, I'm not a complete noob at Navmesh - been dropping and replacing entire cells in Skyrim without issue, and of course in earlier games but Navmesh was more user friendly then. I "get" the pre-cuts, I get the precombines, I get the Previs, and (when I have to.) can make Roombounds and Portals work without issue, too. It's just that if I actually "do" alter an Existing Navmesh the CK goes on to regenerate the entire world. I realise that by altering just one triangle that any attached triangles will need updating, too, in order to be contigious (it that's even the right word.) BUT didn't this necessary activity previously stop at a cells boundary? And, what the hell then happens if there's more than one mod globally altering the entire world's Navmesh. Ughh.. I hate not knowing although, oddly, I've quite happily spent days manually Navmeshing in earlier games because I like things to be done properly. Okay, I get anal about it, sometimes, but whatever - lol. :-)

Okay, no need to reply. Fed up with managing an ever growing folder structure and patching the darned things together every time I change or add a mod (Re: Precom, Previs, etc..) and after a month of searching for and not being able to find an answer to my Navmesh issue I've unistalled the game this morning. I've played it to its death anyway. I just thought, instead of trying to work it out for myself, I'd ask here as a last resort - to no avail. I'd run out of patience with the game anyway. Modding it was the only thing left but It just doesn't appear to be conducive with modding in general to me - unless you're simply "adding" a few bits and bobs like you would for, oh, wait, ... microtransactions!

No matter how you do it, it's not gonna be fun. =/

But yeah, *I* still prefer to auto generate (not Havok, the other one) and then manually check it all.

Clicking N key while in navmesh mode to view only one cell can help.

While in navmesh mode, Ctrl+f can also help (was it ctrl+F or L that let you find errors per cell? One of those).

W key can also be helpful.

Edit: And don't forget to finalize.

I'm just saying...we've all forgotten once or twice, no matter what people say. ;-)

I agree with this option.

Ive all ways used the auto-gen NON havok method myself for all my mods and then do a manual clean up or alteration where needed.

What i also do is perform a auto CLEARING of the navmesh in all the cells that im going to use before i start navmeshing so that i have a totally blank cell ( no navmesh at all ) that way i wont have overlapping and other weird crap that happens with auto generation.

Note and caution :

ALL WAYS do your exterior BEFORE doing the interiors because you will end up clearing the interior navmeshes as well if you do an auto gen for the cell.

Also final tip.

SAVE as frequent as possible and move the saves to a different folder as backup in case you get a corrupt save at some point and lose many hours of work .(ive lost over 10 hours of navmeshing once and all most decided to quit modding :P )

Edited by greekrage