Heavy Traffic ×

CTD at beginning of game

darianrehder

So my game keeps crashing at the beginning of the game, but what is weird is that it has done it at different spots. It at first was doing it at the title page so I uninstalled all my mods and it stopped. Then it crashed right before character creation. Then it crashed again after character creation. And now it keeps crashing at the same spot- right when the dragon blows fire.

It's really bugging me because I just wanna play the game. I've done so much to fix it and nothing is helping. I installed a crash fixing mod, reset my graphics card to all its defaults, reinstalled the game, removed mods from the readme in notepad, set the graphics lower, removed too many frame rates, etc. I watched videos and read so much. NOTHING IS WORKING.

There's nothing wrong with my laptop, it's a new Lenovo. It has a good graphics card with lots of settings. It has PLENTY of space as I do not have any other games on it.

The only weird things I've noticed throughout this process are:

1. Every time I launch the game Steam tries to install Direct X but I already have Direct X 12

2. In the "data files" box I deleted all the mods but 2 of them won't delete. The two that won't delete were previously causing me crashing issues. However, I unchecked the boxes. I noticed they became checked again after the game crashed. This is weird. I don't know how to remove the mods as they aren't in the data file folder, because I deleted them. I don't know why they're still there.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated!

Wow ... you raised so many red flags.

There is no such thing as "crash fixing mod" in term that it somehow magically fixes all crash issues. So what mod is that? It fixes something, may or may not be relevant.

You said 2 mods cannot be uninstalled, what mods are they?

What "mods from read me in notepad?"

And tell us again how did you enable game to accept mod? Via which tutorial? Because I am sure this is not even mod issue but you deleted actual game content. You know Data folder also contains original content?

there is crash fixes, and it is kinda' magical. i understand the frustrations, but mods are like beautiful women. you have to treat each one with care and respect, and they still may break your heart. to even begin modding, i would recommend starting from scratch using a mod manager (mod organizer is my recommendation) and a) reading up on how to clean your vanilla master files. b) making sure you get skse, enboost, crash fixes, and the unofficial patch carefully and properly installed. c) carefully going through your game settings using this guide as a reference. an indispensable tool for modding is tes5edit and i strongly recommend learning how to use it thoroughly. please understand that you're building your own escape from reality, and the more careful you are about the process the better your results will be.

the reason you need an old version of directx is that skyrim runs on directx9. by starting from scratch and using mod organizer, you will have much better control over your mod files and keeping them separated from your data folder. as for what mods are causing crashes, this is mostly due to installation error and conflicting game records. you can gain a better understanding of how things work by making use of tes5edit as i recommend.

additionally, take care with each mod you install. for best results, read the descriptions carefully and look in the files to gain a deeper understanding of how you're modifying skyrim. test each mod in the game and see how it affects things. not only will you be less likely to have a broken skyrim, but you'll wind up with a better experience, tailor-made for you, by you. modders work hard on this stuff and even share it , too, but it's silly to think that the work of hundreds of different people can be slapped on top of each other and work correctly. every step is important.

Edited by ymf331