Having trouble installing FNIS in MO

SyncShips

Hello all! Before you ask, I am VERY new to modding Skyrim.

I was trying to get a few mods to work, but they require FNIS. Figuring it was like all the others, I downloaded it, added it, no problems.

When I tried running the game, I realized that FNIS didn't install correctly, so I deleted it and read up that you have to go to the data tab and all that.

Well a problem I have is that when I download FNIS, it doesn't create this tab at all. In my C:\>Program Files x86>Steam>SteamApps>Skyrim I have the following folders,

DLLs, downloads, license, logs, loot, meshes, mods, NCC, overwrite, platforms, plugins, profiles, Skyrim Data (my own created folder), stylesheets, translations, tutorials, and webcache.

Thus, I tried from MO to run FNIS, and it comes up with the attached picture: https://i.gyazo.com/ade4e562d908c761d2ba3147f33ba9bd.png

I tried running the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe as seen from there, but it would give the error of a bad directory. So I tried running it from the actual folder itself and not from MO, same thing occurred. I've looked around, but no guide (updated) has any comments on what to do at all.

Any help y'all can give at all?

mo won't put stuff in your skyrim directory. it's just in the tab in MO, to the right (plugins, archives, data, saves, downloads). MO creates a virtual directory from the mods you've installed. within that data tab (tools > generatefnis_for_users > generatefnisforusers.exe), adding it is as easy as right-clicking it and selecting "add as executable". from there you just select from the drop-down menu in the upper-right, next to the run and shortcut buttons, and then click the run button.

mo won't put stuff in your skyrim directory. it's just in the tab in MO, to the right (plugins, archives, data, saves, downloads). MO creates a virtual directory from the mods you've installed. within that data tab (tools > generatefnis_for_users > generatefnisforusers.exe), adding it is as easy as right-clicking it and selecting "add as executable". from there you just select from the drop-down menu in the upper-right, next to the run and shortcut buttons, and then click the run button.

So I did that, and it's still saying Bad Installation for me, and once I ran the Generator, nothing changed. I read the README and it says I need to activate the .esp, but I don't know how to do that.

it's in the "plugins" tab, and has a checkbox next to it. whether or not the plugin's activated shouldn't stop you from running the executable, though. from the buttons at the top of mod organizer, click the one that looks like gears. highlight the one that you made for fnis, and click the "remove" button. restart mo, reinstall fnis and then try again. the only advice i could think of if that really doesn't work would be to try redownloading fnis.

Edited by ymf331

So I tried that and got this message: https://i.gyazo.com/c85e1a1e23cdf1f9198afca593ad99c2.png

I tried redownloading FNIS (v6.3 and v6.3 XXL) and both came with the same message.

When I get done with FNIS Generator, FNIS is still opaque in MO and doesnt add to the plugins.

it's in the "plugins" tab, and has a checkbox next to it. whether or not the plugin's activated shouldn't stop you from running the executable, though. from the buttons at the top of mod organizer, click the one that looks like gears. highlight the one that you made for fnis, and click the "remove" button. restart mo, reinstall fnis and then try again. the only advice i could think of if that really doesn't work would be to try redownloading fnis

So I tried that and got this message: https://i.gyazo.com/c85e1a1e23cdf1f9198afca593ad99c2.png

I tried redownloading FNIS (v6.3 and v6.3 XXL) and both came with the same message.

When I get done with FNIS Generator, FNIS is still opaque in MO and doesnt add to the plugins.

it's in the "plugins" tab, and has a checkbox next to it. whether or not the plugin's activated shouldn't stop you from running the executable, though. from the buttons at the top of mod organizer, click the one that looks like gears. highlight the one that you made for fnis, and click the "remove" button. restart mo, reinstall fnis and then try again. the only advice i could think of if that really doesn't work would be to try redownloading fnis

So why don't you start reading or watching instructions? Both MO and FNIS are programs which you don't understand by trial-and-error.

The FNIS description has a link to the S.T.E.P. project which gives you the most detailed instructions.

And it has linked SEVERAL videos which show everything step by step.

You have incorrectly(or rather not at all) installed FNIS. The generator thinks the path is:

...\Skyrim\data\FNIS Behaviour 6.3 XXL\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

It should be

...\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

To fix you need to install FNIS in MO like any other mod: double click on FNIS from MO's downloads tab. As FNIS does not use the standard folder structure for MO, the screen from the image in your first post will appear. Note that bottom left will read as "No game data on top level" in a red color. You will need to expand the "FNIS Behaviour 6.3 XXL" folder (if it wasn't already) then right click on the "Data" folder within it and select "Set data directory". The unnecessary clutter will be removed from the screen and the bottom left should now read as "Looks good" in green (this is your cue that it is fine). Click on OK and FNIS will now appear in your mod list.
You can now follow ymf331's instructions to add the FNIS executable to the MO list of executables, and it should work properly.
One more thing, after running the generator tool, you will need to navigate to the "Overwrite" mod (the always lowest priority 'mod' in your mod list). Right click it and select "Create mod", name the mod anything you want (e.g. FNIS Output) and click OK. This is the actual output of the generator, and you will need to make sure that both it and FNIS are activated in MO or nothing will work.

You have incorrectly(or rather not at all) installed FNIS. The generator thinks the path is:

...\Skyrim\data\FNIS Behaviour 6.3 XXL\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

It should be

To fix you need to install FNIS in MO like any other mod: double click on FNIS from MO's downloads tab. As FNIS does not use the standard folder structure for MO, the screen from the image in your first post will appear. Note that bottom left will read as "No game data on top level" in a red color. You will need to expand the "FNIS Behaviour 6.3 XXL" folder (if it wasn't already) then right click on the "Data" folder within it and select "Set data directory". The unnecessary clutter will be removed from the screen and the bottom left should now read as "Looks good" in green (this is your cue that it is fine). Click on OK and FNIS will now appear in your mod list.
You can now follow ymf331's instructions to add the FNIS executable to the MO list of executables, and it should work properly.
One more thing, after running the generator tool, you will need to navigate to the "Overwrite" mod (the always lowest priority 'mod' in your mod list). Right click it and select "Create mod", name the mod anything you want (e.g. FNIS Output) and click OK. This is the actual output of the generator, and you will need to make sure that both it and FNIS are activated in MO or nothing will work.

The problem with that is that there is no "data folder" or "tools folder". So I somehow have two Skyrim folders. One is in Program Files x86 > Steam > SteamApps > common > Skyrim > Data (no tools here). The other is the same up to SteamApps > Skyrim and then there is no "data" or "tools folder."

It should be

The problem with that is that there is no "data folder" or "tools folder". So I somehow have two Skyrim folders. One is in Program Files x86 > Steam > SteamApps > common > Skyrim > Data (no tools here). The other is the same up to SteamApps > Skyrim and then there is no "data" or "tools folder."

Update: Got most of it to work, however, with the mods (SexLab, Defeat, SexLabDefeat, Paradise Halls, and so on) when the models try to have sex, their bodies are missing and the animations don't work. However, it now has the animation for stripping and some other small animations that I didn't have before.

the "data folder" in this case is a "virtual directory", and one of mod organizer's major "selling points". it just points to where the actual files truly exist on your computer (in this case, your mod organizer directory). any problems with things not having sex should probably be directed to the loverslab forums.

Edited by ymf331