Looking to set up profiles using MO and Wyre Bash. How does this sound?-

Ru5tyShackleford

Alright I really want to set up mod profiles for oblivion, and Wyre bash doesn't seem to have any built-in one. Plus, MO has served my profile needs well for Skyrim.

So, this is what I plan to do:

Currently, everything I have is installed in Wyre Bash.

-I'm going to start uninstalling them in Wyre Bash, and moving them to MO so they may be managed. I plan to leave any mods that require wyre bash in wyre.

-I will install most mods to MO and use MO's profile system.

-I will then use MO to launch Wyre, then use Wyre to launch Oblivion.

EDIT:

-I will also use MO, not Wyre to manage ticked/unticked .esps.

EX: I install Better Cities with Wyre, then use MO to turn off any unneeded .esps.

How does that sound? Should that work? Any tips/suggestions? This whole process is probably gonna take me a very long time...

Also, let me know if you have any questions! Or you need me to explain anything better.

Edited by RustyShackleford69

To someone simple like me, that sounds like a somewhat complicated and error-prone way of modding the game. :ermm:

Also, installing OBSE plugins might not work through Mod Organizer, so you might or might not have to manually adjust the OBSE plugins you have in your data folder to match any 'normal' mods, or 'normal' parts of mods. Like Oblivion Reloaded: you can disable and enable the 'normal' parts of it through MO, but you would need to manually move/rename/something the OBSE plugin part of it.

As for installing mods with Wrye Bash: maybe you could launch Wrye Bash through MO, install the mods to the virtual game folder and have them end up in the overwrite directory. If it works, then yes, you could create an 'installed' version of a mod that way by creating a mod out of the overwrite folder. For each mod separately. But only if you can actually run WB through MO, and then use the WB installers to install a mod to the virtual game folder (so the files end up in the overwrite folder).

Have you tested that it actually works that way: from MO, launch WB, from WB, launch the game? Does the game see all your mods from MO? Just curious, I cannot remember trying it myself.

For the MO profiles to work, you would need to have everything managed by MO (mods, savegames, config files). Everything that cannot be managed by MO, you would beed to manually manage when changing profiles, like OBSE plugins and their config files. If you can sort it all out so that everything (except for OBSE plugins) is 'installed' to the data folder only through MO (and not from outside MO), then yes, you could try using the MO profiles system as long as you remember to keep track of which OBSE plugins need to be in the data folder at a given time. I think.

I have never used any profile things for Oblivion myself, I have not had the need to do it and it does sound like a lot of work and even more troubles. Or maybe it is just me being too scared and lazy. :P

Thanks for the reply!

I have tested launching Wyre Bash through MO, and it works. However, anything changed affects all instances of Wyre. Also, for some reason, when launched through MO almost all mods are unticked. However, if I load it on it's own everything is fine. But, I think that's beside the point.

Thank you for the overwrite suggestion! I completely forgot about that! I get to use Wyre's installer, and I get to use MO's management!

It's probably only so complicated since I'm trying to move from Wyre to MO. If I was starting from MO things probably would've been a million times easier. I have a ton of profiles for Skyrim, and they're pretty easy to maintain. In the end, it's a real lifesaver for wehen I'm testing the game, making mods, or screwing around.

Oh okay, I just mess around with a single profile and mod setup, also when making mods. I only use MO for the virtualised mod installation. :tongue:

Have you disabled the load-order lock on Wrye Bash? If I remember correctly, it was found by right-clicking something related to the load order tab of WB and unticking the "lock load order" option in the context menu or somesuch. Other than that, it is perfectly possible to use Wrye Bash to sort load order and build a Bashed Patch, while launching the game through MO. Just remember to un-lock the load order of all plugins in MO before you launch Wrye Bash.

If you find out something interesting while playing around, let me know. :smile:

Edit: Also, the idea about running WB through MO for installing a mod to the overwrite directory, then turning the overwrite directory into an 'installed' version of the mod to activate through MO is just an idea. I have not tested it. I manually install each mod into a separate directory myself and then add that directory to MO manually. :blush:

Edited by Contrathetix

I've begun uninstalling and re-installing my mods.

Do you (or anyone) know if there is a faster way to transfer the files? Some of these mods are really big downloads, and would be very time consuming.

EDIT: Also, I can't drag mods into MO's downloads tab. I can put them in the long way, but it's time consuming.

Edited by RustyShackleford69

Mod Organizer keeps its installed/unpacked mods in a specific folder, I think the default is inside the MO folder in a 'mods' folder. I have mine at "D:\ModsOblivion\ModRepository" (with MO being at "D:\ModsOblivion\ModOrganizer" and the game at "F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Oblivion"). The "downloads" folder can also be configured, I cannot remember the default one at the moment, but I have mine set to "D:\ModsSkyrim\ModPackages" on the Skyrim one. So if you have the downloaded archives somewhere, you can point MO to that folder. For example if you have all your archives (like SomeMod-12345-1.rar) stored in some custom path, you can point MO to that path in the settings. The same goes for installed/unpacked mods, although you cannot toggle/select any subpackages like "00 Core", "01 Custom" and such from the mods list of MO if I remember correctly, so you might need to restructure the mods to be ready for copying to the Data folder of the game and then add them to MO. For example if you have three simple mods in some path

...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod A\mod_a.esp
...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod B\textures\mod_b.dds
...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod C\menus\mod_c.xml

you can point MO directly at that path (...\SomePath\InstalledMods\) for the installed/extracted mods, after which you can tick "Mod A", "Mod B" and "Mod C" in the mods list to activate the mods. But if you have a fourth mod

...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod D\00 Core\mod_d.esp
...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod D\01 AddOn\textures\somestuff.dds

you might need to manually restructure/install that mod so that it can be activated with MO like

...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod D\mod_d.esp
...\SomePath\InstalledMods\Mod D\textures\somestuff.dds

if you want both "00 Core" and "01 AddOn" installed. So no, you do not need to redownload anything (if you have mods that can be installed with Wrye Bash), but you probably will need to do manual restructuring and cut+pasting or copying to transfer everything to MO. You could also maybe try installing a mod by moving a WB-targeted archive to the downloaded archives folder of MO and installing it through MO, to see what happens. MO does have some plugins in it, yes, I cannot remember which ones, but they might actually help to some extent (never tried myself :tongue: ).

Anyway, you do not need to redownload anything to transfer the mods from WB to MO. Just manually restructure and move the files, you can use Windows Explorer (the file manager). When you add an installed/restructured mod to MO via Windows Explorer, MO will automatically generate the meta.ini for that mod and after that, it does not matter where the mod came from (unless you care about 'connecting' each mod to the Nexus Mods website version for update checks and whatnot, in which case you would need to figure out how to connect it sort of 'post mortem', but I like my MO fully offline so it does not matter to me). Each one of my mod projects has a separate directory in MO, for example, and I use the Windows Explorer and such to manage the files in them, and also BSAopt and others to just edit the project files. MO is just a tool to virtually push the mods/projects to the game when running it from their own little clean separate directories. I have never used the MO UI to drag or drop anything other than when moving files from the overwrite directory to a mod folder and to change mod install order - or load order, when it is something small that does not require WB at the moment. In my opinion, one of the greatest things about MO is that I can use the UI to do some things that can be done (or need to be done) on a higher level of 'abstraction' by clicking switches and buttons, but when I need/want, I can always close MO, open a file explorer, move, create, delete, edit and inspect stuff without having to do it through MO and when I launch MO again, the results of my manual tinkering are registered by it and everything works, as long as I follow the rules with my tinkering so that nothing breaks. But the whole concept of having that abstraction through buttons and stuff when needed/wanted, and then being able to ditch that abstraction (UI) when needed/wanted and find and access/edit the underlaying files directly is a great thing. The UI is not a limitation, when all the config files - and in this case, mods, with each in their own folder named after the mod itself - are there on the disc in straightforward locations that can be found using common sense (for example if each mod had a folder named after its mod id, or some random uuid, then that would probably be horrible and definitely not intuitive - if someone from the Nexus mod management tool team happens to read this!). If the UI does not allow dragging and dropping something, you can always close the UI, open a file manager, and move the files there! If that makes any sense. And it might be worth a note that the "downloads" part seems to be for archives specifically. And if MO does not know how to unpack an archive, it will still have the user manually do the structuring when extracting.

Anyway, before I lose the track of what I was writing, yes, you do not need to download everything again. It might not even be worth it in the end. You can move and restructure the already extracted folders to MO.

Edit: Also, if you are worried about something being time-consuming, then Wrye Bash might actually be a somewhat better option (especially if you have already learned how it works and all that) - if you do not mind mod files taking up potentially 2x their overall space on your machine (WB installers, then the nstalled files), or the game folder not being as tidy as it could be, and if you do not mind waiting a minute or two (or longer) for WB to uninstall/install a larger mod (as opposed to flipping the tickbox to add/remove stuff like QTP3 several times a minute in MO, hehe :happy: ). Unless, of course, you want to use several mod profiles in a somewhat fast way with only a single Oblivion installation. But that will still not be quite as straightforward as with Skyrim, for example.

Edit 2: Fixed some typos.

Edited by Contrathetix