Unable to interact with NPC's (excluding companions)

four2nothin

Title says it all. Suddenly I am unable to interact with Npc. I press the activate button and it doesn't make the clicking noise or anything. I thought it may have been a mod but all the most recent ones that i've downloaded are inactive and it still won't work. Even with a new game.
In the new game it did allow me to talk to Preston for the Quest . After the quest was finished it would no longer allow it.

Any ideas?

without knowing which mods you are using it would be impossible to guess.

does it happen with a new game with all mods disabled?

have you verified the game files?

what do you mean by verify the game files? I haven't downloaded/ updated any new mods. I disabled all the most recent ones plus all the quest/settlement mods and now there are just older mods installed. I started a new game and still won't work. the game files must be there or it wouldn't let me talk to npc's that are part of the quest. right?

what do you mean by verify the game files?...

He's asking whether or not you've tried to verify the game files via Steam (right click on the game, then go to properties/ local files/ verify integrity of game files).

you have mods installed. it doesn't matter how long the game has been running with the older mods installed. it matters what those mods are and what new mods you tried and then got rid of.

any one of those mods could have had this effect. depending on which mod was the culprit determines how to deal with the problems.

PO

you have mods installed. it doesn't matter how long the game has been running with the older mods installed. it matters what those mods are and what new mods you tried and then got rid of.

any one of those mods could have had this effect. depending on which mod was the culprit determines how to deal with the problems.

oK All mods are disabled and it still happens. any time I discover a new area it CTD.

what do you mean by verify the game files?...

He's asking whether or not you've tried to verify the game files via Steam (right click on the game, then go to properties/ local files/ verify integrity of game files).

Disregard the following comment, I got this confused with another one. However, I am unable to test now if I can talk to Npc's because now I'm getting CTD errors

any on

(Hi everyone)

I also have that problem here. I can't initiate dialogue with any NPC, companion or not. Not even Dogmeat. All I have is a stare contest of "meh" faces, if it's a quest completion dialogue. If I keep pressing "E" when talking to a settler or a companion, all I have access to is trading items. I've got no voices, not even Marcy Long, no barks.

I tried LOTS, and LOTS of "solutions". Verifying cache, disabling mods one by one, always reverting to an older save, tried another character, modifying Fallout4.ini file, new game... Nothing happened.

Right now I'm downloading another language package, while going without a single mod folder in the root. If it does something, I'll update. If not, any help will be welcomed.

EDIT : changing the language pack did brought back dialogues and voices. Now I'll try to reinstall mods, one by one, see wich kind messes up the game; if it does, I'll try a simple language pack change.

Edited by MaitreRakoun

• 2 years later...

I having the problem too, I can't interact with any NPCs besides companions. I can't trade or anything. I was starting a new play through and didn't notice the bug until I had to go and talk to Valentine's assistant. If anyone knows a command or something that fixes or resets the dialogue please let me know.