Zorlon - Levdia

Malchik

Lurel and his party (Lisette, Ford and Midge) have two objectives, both aimed to help Zorlon survive what appears to be a magical attack from another world. Somewhere in each of Zorlon's nine human dimensions is a gate that will lead to the farseers, people who have knowledge you need urgently. All have to be opened. Also you know that there are misplaced objects from every one of Zorlon's dimensions that need to be returned to counteract the effects of the alien magic. The Levdian item is an arrow. Amonst the collection of these artefacts is one no one can identify. Perhaps there is a dimension not yet discovered?

You have nothing more to go on.

Your Levdian friend Zekic, who grew up on a farm near Nurn, told you that although the sea was only a day's walk away, no one ever went there. He could not tell you why. It is a mystery and anything mysterious has to be worth examining.

Anyway, that is the current plan!

It is mid afternoon in Levdia. You arrived in the small town of Nurn two hours ago dishevelled and a bit out of sorts after a long hike through Branden Forest. The first action has been to visit the local shops to get some decent clothes. You also took advantage of the local bath house.

Now dressed in the new purchases and feeling much better you are ready to begin the next stage of your journey.

Nurn is an odd place, more of an overgrown village than a town proper. Its quaintness is both in the architecture and layout. There seems no logic to the place. Only the central square has any homogeneity. The buildings are old, wooden and ramshackle, all corners and gables, several tilting at rakish angles as if leaning in to talk to each other. One of these building is the tavern Zekic told you serves the best ale in Levdia!

It is warm outside but the surrounding buildings cut out much of the light and the tavern needs a large fire to keep it cosy.

Levdia is a diverse country without a typical 'type' and your mix would not normally attract attention. However your clothes are definitely too new and smart for everyday wear in Nurn and you are rather conspicuous.

You enter the tavern. It is too early to be full. A group of three farmers, all very drunk, are carousing loudly. Two buxom bar wenches look after the customers. One gives you an appraising glance as she walks over to the farmers, three foaming tankards in her hands.

The other girl is chatting desultorily to a lively youth who looks to be about twenty. He immediately turns his attention to Lisette and is clearly interested in pursuing her for more than mere conversation. As you walk up to the bar you overhear the bar wench say to him.

"If you end in the gutter again tonight, Padden Timberton, we'll ban you from this inn for good!"

Her irritation may have something to do with the way the boy is ogling Lisette.

OOC> Over to you!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lurel was dismayed to find the tavern so empty - after the glances they had attracted in the street he had hoped to find somewhere where they would not attract quite so much notice. At least the farmers appeared too drunk to care much about the strangers. But he didn't like the way that youth was staring at Lisette, or the way the barmaid was snapping at him - he had an uneasy feeling about them.

He forced a smile as he walked up to the bar, self-consciously smoothed out a crease on the sleeve of his new shirt.

"A good day to you," he said to the barmaid. "A tankard of ale for me, please. I think we'll take that table over there, if that's all right? And do you serve food here?"

He indicated a table in the corner, as far from the youth as was possible.

Lisette sighs as she thinks "Not another one..."

She walk over to the barmaid and Padden and politely requests a glass of wine from her. Looking over the youth she says, " You can look all you want, neighbor, but if I was you, I'd return my attention to what you have right in front of you. I would be a passing fancy, while this lady (nodding to the barmaid) is a bit more within your reach. Plus, I wouldn't want to be responsible for you losing your drinking priviledges in this establishment..." 'Especially if I broke your jaw' she finishes to herself.

After receiving and paying for her drink, she proceeds to the table where Lurel pointed and sits down.

Ford looks around the tavern and walks up to the bar.

"I'll have a... um... small ale please."

He pays for his drink and goes to sit down with the others. He sits down and takes a sip from his ale, wiping his mouth on his sleeve.

"So, we stay over night here, then head to the beach?"

He looks to Lurel.

OOC> being a kid.. can i even drink? i mean drinking age restrictions and all.

Midge cautiously looks around him and sees that his three comrades have sat down, and the three drunken farmers seem a little strange.

Midge walks up to the barman and says:

"Toilet keys please"

"Not till you buy a drink"

"Then i'll have a glass of milk"

*Apon receiving the glass of milk and the keys, midge notices the milk smells rather off and the glass is kind of dirty. Midge drinks it none-the-less, knowing he would most-likely want such a thing later.

when he's finished Midge doesn't give the glass to the barkeep, rather walks past padden and the bar maid using the glass as a mirror so as not to stare at the man and cause arguement, Midge thinks to himself "i could take him easy, depends on what he has on him though".

Midge simply stare at the toilet of a toilet and walks back ot, handing the glass to the barkeeper and sitting at the table where the others sit.

Lisette's words appear to have had no effect on Padden. He comes swaggering up yelling at the barmaid. "Give us all a round of the special, Kit!"

He doesn't wait to be asked but sits at the table beside Lisette. "Don't often get visitors from the capital down here." He frowns trying to work out who is in charge. "I'm Padden Timberton, my ma has a farm along the ways. You don't look like farmers?"

The barmaid is with them at once. She hands mugs of ale to all, grunting at Midge. "You are over twelve, aren't you? Just a bit stunted like!"

She smiles at Ford, assuming him to be the leader as he is the tallest of the men. "You take his money off him! That ways he won't have any to spend on himself!"

She gives a wink at Lisette and a slight twitch of the head towards Padden as if to say - this one's all mouth no trousers. She bustles away.

Lisette feels Padden's knee nudging hers.

Ford blinks as the barmaid walks off and takes another sip of his ale. He makes sure the maid isn't watching and offers Midge a drink.

"Want to try some? It's good stuff."

Lurel relaxes a little - the youth seems harmless enough, and he has no doubts that Lisette knows how to deal with her new admirer. It's not likely that the youth has any information for them, but then you never know.

"Pleased to meet, you, Padden Timberton," he greets the youth, ignoring his question for now. "And thanks for the drink - it goes down a treat after the journey."

He takes a sip, wipes his mouth. "Good stuff, that - the best I've had for a while. So you're a farmer? It sure looks like good farming country around here, from what I've seen."

Lisette ignores Padden's knee for the moment, knowing that it would cause trouble for the group if she suddenly slammed his face into the table. Unwanted questions, maybe the stockade....definitely not worth the trouble. However, the insolent youth could know something.....

She takes another drink and looks at Padden. "So you're from a distant farm, eh neighbor? Coming to town for news? A good story? Have you heard anything worth retelling to us?" She nudges her knee back at Padden, encouraging him to talk.

Encouraged by what he assumes to be acceptance he moves his chair closer to Lisette so his thigh is pressed against her.

"It's about the only time of year I'm not working. Two weeks. A farm takes your life from dawn to dusk. What's it matter to them if I get drunk every night for two miserable weeks? I'm sober all the rest of the year!"

He is a little unsure of the group. Their relationships are unclear to him. In Levdia women are always in charge at home but tend to let the men take the lead when out and about. Lisette is older than the others but...

He turns to Ford. "Best ale in Levdia, that is. But you haven't just come here because of the ale, have you? We're a bit off the main road for it to be an accidental visit. Been nothing exciting around here since the disappearances and that was over a year ago. So what do you know that I don't?"

Whatever his amatory intentions, it is obvious that he is nobody's fool.

Archived