Zorlon - Levdia

Malchik

Lisettes's hand is preventing Padden from really paying too much attention to what the other's are saying. Midge's high pitched voice cut's into his mind like the squeak of chalk on a blackboard.

The little boy has not touched his ale. "Look, I know you're not twelve, so does Kit but we drink it at home from when we're five or six. Not more than a glass, mind, but it's really good stuff. It gives you a bit extra to scythe the fields or pull up the root vegetables."

He stares around at the group. "I tried going to the sea once. It's a lot further than it looks. And once the path ends it's... We'd all fallen over a couple of times and Taffo twisted his ankle."

He looks at Lisette. "I can take you on some interesting walks into the forest if you like. But if you're set on the sea all I can do if take you to the end of the path. I'd like to do something. It's - well, you know, there's nothing much to do here but get drunk."

The dark glances he aims at the bar girls suggests he had tried other diversions.

He adds "No good starting today. Where are you staying?"

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the others answer his question, Midge cuts in again this time with his true deep voice and says through clenched teeth although unnoticable to the others while forcing a smile...

"I said i'm right" whilst nooding

Padden's question made Midge ponder... where ARE we staying tonight, wondering if this Grogery offered some accomodation, though probably not desirable when it becomes filled with drunken farmers.

"If you say we cannot make it, you may be right. Have you any suggestions as to where we should spend the night?"

Padden smiles. "You can get one room here. It'll be fine for three of you. The lady will need her own room."

He looks at Lisette. "I'm staying next door with Taffo. You could have my room - I can sleep on his floor."

Kit, who must be lip-reading, calls across. "Not one of our rooms is taken Padden Timberton, as you well know. All three are available at 2 gold pieces per bed. Each room sleeps three."

Padden is unfazed putting his hand on top of Lisette's and pressing it against his knee. "Yeah, but it'd be more fun next door!"

One of the farmers suddenly crashes out onto the table in front of him.

You overhear the loud exchange between the others.

"Better go and sober him up, his missis will kill him!

"She'll kill us too, boils and nettlerash, lets get him to the barn. We can all catch a couplr of hours there."

The two staggering farmers carry their drunken comrade out. The other barmaid follows them. It is suddenly very quiet.

Ford clears his throat.

"Sooo, uh, shall we stay here then? Sounds pretty cheap. And probably a lot safer than 'Taffo's'."

He smirks cheekily at Padden.

Padden isn't interested in Ford's view of where Lisette should pass the night.

He answers Lurel. "If you really are going to go, I'll take you to the road's end. The lanes around the farms are a bit confusing. It'll take maybe a day to get there if we set out at dawn. I'd take provisions for a fortnoght. If you're not there in a week, you've enough to get back."

You had noticed the sea as you entered the town, it seemed quite close.

He yells across to the barmaid. "Another round of ale here, and some stew. These folks are hungry."

He looks at Midge and whispers to Lisette, "Is your kid sick? He's skinny as a run-away chicken! I've got some chocolate next door if he'd like it. Chocolate is good for fattening things up!"

He suddenly seems hyper. "I'll get it now." He dashes out trying to conceal his excitement at not spending the night alone.

Kit gives Lisette a pointed glance as if she has something important to say.

Lisette gives Kit a knowing glance after Padden flees. " You don't have to worry. I'm not going anywhere with that puppy. He's got his hopes up for naught." She takes another drink, before continuing.

"Midge, don't eat the chocolate from him. For some reason I'm not trusting him. Palm it and save it. And personally, I don't want him following us. We saw the sea as we were coming in; how hard will it be to find it again? I think we should leave earlier in the morning than dawn and leave Padden behind."

"I don't think he bears us any malice," Lurel says, thoughtfully. "And he claims that Zekic is his friend. But I don't like the way he is pestering you, Lisette."

He pauses briefly.

"A week to get to the sea does seem unlikely. But Zekic said he and his friends never went there - so maybe taking provisions for a fortnight wouldn't be such a bad idea." He grimaces as he thinks of the extra weight they'll have to carry.

"Perhaps the barmaids might be able to tell us something about the way to the sea," he suggests after another brief pause. "At the very least they might tell us where we can buy provisions."

As an afterthought, he adds: "If anything strange or out of the ordinary happens around here, they'll be the ones to hear about it - people talk more freely when they're drunk."

Lurel looks at Ford and Lisette. "Maybe such a question would look better coming from one of you two - you saw how taken aback that Padden fellow was when I asked him a serious question." He shrugs.

The barmaid comes over with the second round of ale, including one for the currently absent Padden.

"You could trust that boy with your life," she says to Lisette. "And I learned lip reading with my ma when she went deaf. Warning for us all, isn't it? You never know when you're overheard one way or another."

She stops by Lisette, "There were four of 'em who used to go around together. Zekic upped and left, Ketzo died and now Padden's stuck with Taffo who hasn't two words to say for himself. Do us all a favour, let him show you the path. It will save you time. And for once he'll be doing something. He works like a slave on that farm of his what with his ma being sick and all that. Just make sure he knows where he stands with you."

She stops and thinks. "Oh, you can eat his chocolate. His ma had a shop and used to make it. She still does a bit when she can. It used to supplement their income."

She seems to realise that Lurel has more to him that so far expressed. "He doesn't really have the money to spend here but he's been so bored since Zekic went away."

She turns to go.

Lisette looks thoughtfully after the barmaid and back to the group. "Wasn't that interesting? And she made a good comment about being overheard. We should heed her words and be careful when we talk of our plans."

She finishes off her drink in a long swallow. "Well, it looks like we have a guide to the sea."

Archived