Zorlon - Levdia

Malchik

"Yes, I suppose we've been a little careless." Lurel grimaces. He finally finishes his first round of ale and picks up his empty tankard.

"I'll take this over to the bar. There's something I want to ask anyway."

He sets the empty vessel onto the counter, accords the barmaid a brief smile.

"Have you ever been to the sea?" he asks innocently. "It doesn't look all that far, but I guess Padden would know better, being local."

Lurel hesitates before he continues. "It must have been pretty hard for him, losing his two friends."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an influx of new arrivals. These are better dressed than the famers suggesting they may be involved in desk jobs rather than labouring. They are all in their late twenties and rather loud.

The barmaid says to Lurel. "Now we'll get no peace. I'll have to stew over in just a moment."

She eyes the crowd, some fifteen still coming in, without affection. "What would I want to go to the sea for? Only a few daredevils ever try it and they always give up. I'm not wasting my time. Look, Padden is okay if the woman makes sure she's not accepting anything other than his conversation. I'm not going to have a moment to myself now but I heard you saying you needed to stock up on provisions and fix somewhere to stay. Better do it quickly, things close here at sunset and that's not far off."

She turns to deal with the new comers who are demanding service in a very arrogant manner.

There is an influx of new arrivals. These are better dressed than the farmers suggesting they may be involved in desk jobs rather than labouring. They are all in their late twenties and rather loud.

The barmaid says to Lurel. "Now we'll get no peace. I'll have to stew over in just a moment."

She eyes the crowd, some fifteen still coming in, without affection. "What would I want to go to the sea for? Only a few daredevils ever try it and they always give up. I'm not wasting my time. Look, Padden is okay if the woman makes sure she's not accepting anything other than his conversation. I'm not going to have a moment to myself now but I heard you saying you needed to stock up on provisions and fix somewhere to stay. Better do it quickly, things close here at sunset and that's not far off."

She turns to deal with the new comers who are demanding service in a very arrogant manner.

"Thanks." Lurel, realizing that she won't be telling him anything more for the moment, returns to their table, and relays the conversation to the others.

"There's something odd about this," he murmurs, trying to mask his mouth with his hand by pretending to cough - the barmaid's lesson about discretion has not been forgotten. "The way they all seem to accept as a given that you can't get to the sea, but aren't even curious about it. But we'll talk about that later."

In a normal voice he continues: "But we'd better get on with our preparations before nightfall. I suggest we split up - two of us sort out our accommodation, the other two go and buy food." He looks at the others. "Lisette, Midge - if it's all right with you, would you stay here and negotiate with the barmaid about the rooms? And I suppose Padden will be back soon with the chocolate. Ford and I could go and buy food and whatever else we might need. Any special requests?"

Lurel looks at the others and waits for their response.

Ford nods to Lurel.

"Yeah, alright..."

He finishes his drink quickly and gets up from the table, waiting to hear people's requests, while straightening out any wrinkles in his tunic.

"Not a problem Lurel. Do you want to squeeze into one or should I get both? I don't mind sleeping on the floor. And after we secure the rooms, Midge and I can practice a bit before night falls. Sound okay to you, Midge? I promise I won't be too rough...." she grins over at him.

She puts her hand over her mouth to cover a "yawn" and speaks quietly threw it. "As for supplies, let's keep it simple. Travel rations and maybe some fresh fruit that in season. Dried grains for morning porridge and tea. And if you cold pick up a length of rope, 20-25 feet - lightweight but sturdy, I'd appreciate it. You never know when you might need a rope." She looks over to the other two. "Can you think of anything else we might need?"

"Get two rooms," Lurel replies. "It could well be the last good night's sleep we get for a while. We might as well be comfortable while we get the chance. Maybe you can haggle and see if they'll throw in some breakfast too."

Lurel grins in the direction of Kit, just in case she lip-read the last sentence.

"Well, we'll see what we can get in town. Maybe we'll think of other things we could use while we're at the shop. I don't think we'll be too long. Ready, Ford?"

Lurel nods to Lisette and Midge, and turns towards the door.

Lisette stands up and walks over to the bar, trying to catch the barmaid's attention. Knowing that it might take a few moments while she serves the new guests, Listte waits patiently - looking over the new crowd of customers and quietly listening to their conversations.

When the barmaid does come around to her she says, "My friends & I would like both those rooms if they are still available. And does the lodging include breakfast in the morning?"

Ford nods and follows Lurel out into the street.

"So uh... happen to know where the shops are? I've never been here before..."

He looks around.

"Ah well... shouldn't be too hard to find, it's a small town... what did we need? Some rope... porridge... and um... fruit?"

Archived