Creating RPG Choice boxes for future Mod

americanwierdo

I'm creating a mod that contains something I've never tried before: Message boxes that give you choices where you can use your skills to advance down one path or the other.

If you need an example of what I'm talking about: remember when you first encounter ED-E in Nash's house and after you click on him, a message box pops up telling you you can repair him if you have 85 repair skill?

I wanna do something like that in a future mod.

Here is one example: in this mod, the enemy faction sneaks a bomb into the Mojave Outpost Barracks and the Courier has to deactivate it because it's too late to call in a bomb squad. I want to be able to click on it and be given the option to either defuse the bomb (requires 50 explosive,) dismantle the bomb (requires 30 repair) or run like hell (bomb immediately detonates in a mininuke explosion and the quest is failed.

I should just how to set the quest stages if I just know how to put it all together. What does the model for this kind of thing look like? Keep in mind that I'm pretty experienced with scripting quests and characters, but I haven't done much scripting outside of that.

Anything you can tell me will help!

-Americanweirdo

Edited by americanwierdo

The GetButtonPressed article contains an example script that could get you started. I'd also look into how choice boxes like this have been implemented in the vanilla game. Plenty of examples to pick from, like the ED-E situation you mentioned. Find the script that controls it and take notes.

Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck or have further questions.

The GetButtonPressed article contains an example script that could get you started. I'd also look into how choice boxes like this have been implemented in the vanilla game. Plenty of examples to pick from, like the ED-E situation you mentioned. Find the script that controls it and take notes.

Thank you for the article. I'll check it out when I can.

off the top of your head, do you know how to trigger a mininuke explosion through scripting? I'm not sure where I'd find that ingame.

Thank you for the article. I'll check it out when I can.

off the top of your head, do you know how to trigger a mininuke explosion through scripting? I'm not sure where I'd find that ingame.

I think you are real close to understanding it. And it is how events in game can change variables , which are the gate keeper to ... then having scripting command other events in game.

Game Input ==> save variable ==> Tell script something ==> Script tell game something ==> Game output

But that's just a overview ... of course every situation can be broken down with specifics.