Paid Mods return at E3 2017

deadblood01

I hate this.

I hate paid dlc and cash shops in general, and the only reason I accepted it enough to buy Skyrim was that they packaged all of their DLCs into one Legendary bundle after a year or so, so I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to 100% complete the game. With mods, unless there is a one-time "Buy All Mods" premium version, I won't be able to do that any more. That means that Skyrim will be my last Bethesda game.

Edited by ST753M

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@xpardareon

I doubt there will be a mass exodus of modders, as I said, (and I know you can't read his post) but in the Mod Authors forum Dark0ne (Nexus Site Owner) has basically said that he doesn't think this is a bad thing. And he is someone, like the rest of us, that has something to loose. I think the general consensus is moving toward this being a rather small group of people and small businesses that will be actually making the mods. (I may be completely wrong of course.)

As far as theft goes, well that already exist, but if you slow down and think about it, Bethesda has more to loose from stealing mods from Authors than they would gain in the long run just in the PR nightmare that would cause if someone could prove they did steal his/her work. Not to mention the fact that 90% of all mods are just modifications of Bethesda's files and that if you use the CK you agree that Bethesda can use whatever you create however they want.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I claim to understand the Intellectual Property Laws but as modders we do have some legal rights over what we create, and Bethesda is going to be careful not to violate those laws just to make a few bucks off a mod.

Edited by Glass1411

It's funny how good mod makers are told they should be hired, yet when hired you get these people crapping over everything.

I am sorry, what statement that you want me to get well-informed? Well perhaps some of your statement is right due to the CC information is still unclear.

It's funny how good mod makers are told they should be hired, yet when hired you get these people crapping over everything.

I am sorry, what statement that you want me to get well-informed? Well perhaps some of your statement is right due to the CC information is still unclear.

I don't personally know Ethreon and I'm not attempting to speak for him. But I do know that he's a talented modder, and I read his statement a little differently. Because if you look around everyone is worried about Mod Authors leaving Nexus because we want to make a dollar off our work. But if you look at from the other side of the coin, how many weeks, days or even hours would get up and go to your job for free? This is a chance for a lucky and talented few to get paid to do something they love doing. Nothing wrong with that since as it is the most we can hope for is a "Thank You", although more often not than we don't get that much.

So I don't think that statement was reflected at you personally, more toward the general perception that mod authors are wrong to pursue this option because the end user will have to pay them for their work. (Having said all that, I could be completely wrong. Its just how read his post.)

Edited by Glass1411

And if the information about CC is still unclear as you say yourself, xpardareon, don't you think it would make sense to wait until there's more information instead of jumping to conclusions?

It is the general feel I get from this new thing. Anyway, I got my popcorn ready and I'm laughing all the "rally men" calls that are appearing like this is the end of the world or smth.

@Glass1411 Bethesda would set a milestones, meaning that mod author must follow and organize his time very carefully to create from alpha test to release. Mod author probably still have a real life job and some other things to do. But here we didnt limit your time or urge when is the new updates.

@FrankFamily Yes probably I am quite very furious about this. I think I will hop on the train first to know how it works.

@Etheron I know you are 1 of the talented modders, if my post offended you , I am sorry. Probably because it was mods that make the games cool. It was mods that actually make games interesting and funny. From my previous post, I know that I am in constant angry and being selfish a bit, because how to say if converted in my currency, a mere custom NPC would probably cost me 50(if the game credit actually that high), almost a price of a DLC. I would rather donate since I can choose my amount (sorry for being selfish here).

Well anyway, sorry for making anyone uncomfortable here. Just can't digest the news properly.

I'm not offended, I wasn't even targeting you with any remarks, but I cannot stop being annoyed at the doomsayers. People will continue making free mods in plenty quantities, and seeing how this club is played out I doubt there will be many people in.

@Glass1411 Bethesda would set a milestones, meaning that mod author must follow and organize his time very carefully to create from alpha test to release. Mod author probably still have a real life job and some other things to do. But here we didnt limit your time or urge when is the new updates.

@FrankFamily Yes probably I am quite very furious about this. I think I will hop on the train first to know how it works.

@Etheron I know you are 1 of the talented modders, if my post offended you , I am sorry. Probably because it was mods that make the games cool. It was mods that actually make games interesting and funny. From my previous post, I know that I am in constant angry and being selfish a bit, because how to say if converted in my currency, a mere custom NPC would probably cost me 50(if the game credit actually that high), almost a price of a DLC. I would rather donate since I can choose my amount (sorry for being selfish here).

Well anyway, sorry for making anyone uncomfortable here. Just can't digest the news properly.

Oh no man don't get me wrong, I have no problems with you or your feeling about this whole situation. I'm a player like you too and I like fee stuff! I can't do what 99% of the modders here can do myself and would be just as SOL as you would be if this was just open season on all mods.

This is wrong though: But here we didnt limit your time or urge when is the new updates. :laugh:

You'd be amazed at how much pressure people put on MA's to fix, update, add or flat out change our work and we may not have a paycheck on the line but the pressure is practically the same, maybe even more because when you upload a mod you upload a part of yourself, and that a scary thing to do so you always want it to be the best that it can be and you want people to enjoy it as much or more than they want to.

Edited by Glass1411