Want to move Skyrim Mod setup from HDD to SSD

ImmaculateDeception

I just installed a new SSD, and want to copy my mod setup from my old HDD to my new SSD, as closely to the current setup as I can, without having to go through and re-download and reinstall each mod as they were originally installed.

I saw some really old posts about this (2014 and before) and I wanted to know if there was any updated or easier way to do this, or if there's a specific way to accomplish this task in a matter of a couple hours tops. Any ideas?

So I take it you already installed skyrim on your new SSD, right? What was/is your initial installation method on your HDD? Manual? NMM? MO?

If it's NMM would do try the following steps:

• Open NMM
  • Rightclick each mod and choose: Uninstall or Delete --> From all profiles ( Do NOT choose delete mod)
  • You can make a screenshot of your plugin loadorder before you do that so can arrange them the way you had it later
  • Deinstall Skyrim from your HDD
  • Install Skyrim on your SSD
  • Remember to reapply SKSE
  • In NMM go to Settings (the gears) --> Skyrim tab --> Change the Skyrim installation path to your SSD
  • Reapply all your mods and remember to sort your loadorder the way you had it

This will only work if you never installed any mod manually. If you previously applied any mods manually (aside from SKSE) you have to manually reapply those.

Redownloading Skyrim is what will take the longest I guess...but you dont have to be around for that. Otherwise it should be a matter of minutes.

Remember to make copies of esp files you might have modified in CK before you go through that process

Edited by metaforce

So I take it you already installed skyrim on your new SSD, right? What was/is your initial installation method on your HDD? Manual? NMM? MO?

If it's NMM would do try the following steps:

• Open NMM
  • Rightclick each mod and choose: Uninstall or Delete --> From all profiles ( Do NOT choose delete mod)
  • You can make a screenshot of your plugin loadorder before you do that so can arrange them the way you had it later
  • Deinstall Skyrim from your HDD
  • Install Skyrim on your SSD
  • Remember to reapply SKSE
  • In NMM go to Settings (the gears) --> Skyrim tab --> Change the Skyrim installation path to your SSD
  • Reapply all your mods and remember to sort your loadorder the way you had it

This will only work if you never installed any mod manually. If you previously applied any mods manually (aside from SKSE) you have to manually reapply those.

Redownloading Skyrim is what will take the longest I guess...but you dont have to be around for that. Otherwise it should be a matter of minutes.

Remember to make copies of esp files you might have modified in CK before you go through that process

Ah, I see. Well, i suppose it wouldn't take as long as downloading and installing each one separately. Thank you, I will take these steps and enact them here in a moment. My next question is, if I am on my HDD and installing the mods from there, and then trying to play it, wouldn't i have to play it from my HDD? Because I don't think NMM on the SSD would pick up those mods and load them, or know what esp's or esm's to load. I could tell it what to load but I'm not sure it would pick up every detail. For example, some mods have a secondary installation process during normal mod installation through NMM. Will the NMM on the SSD pick up on all that?

And secondly, wouldn't that slow down my game, since it's trying to load data and info from my HDD?

Edited by ImmaculateDeception

After you removed your mods, NMM will still have a copy of each mod in storage (on your HDD). After you reinstalled Skyrim and changed the installation path you can reinstall every mod. At this point NMM will unpack the mod from storage and put the mod's files into your Skyrim folder (wherever the respective mods files exactly need to go....now on your SSD). When you start the game it will load everything that has been placed (and activated) in the game folders (on SSD again). So NMM is just for organising, storing and keeping track of stuff...the actual mod files will be placed and executed in the game's folders.

I guess by secondary installation process you mean mod options (e.g. install this follower with red hair or blonde hair and such) If you keep to the process I explained NMM shouldnt ask you that and instead install the mod with the options that were last used. If that doesnt work then yes you would have to choose the options anew when you install them.

And no it doesnt slow down your game. NMM only communicates with the game folders the moment you install/change/remove a mod, after that there is no communication whatsoever between NMM and Skyrim. Heck....NMM doesnt even have to run when you start Skyrim.