Niftool plugin installation help

Fixadent

I took a look at Blender 2.78c yesterday and it did import skyrim nifs ... without any problem. I tested the import with static architectural nifs and some vanilla armor nifs, didn't have time to test exporting or see if it can handle collision. It does look really good and I can't wait to dig into it more, and if there are no problems with exporting then there would be no reason to stay with 2.49b.

Have you tried this with FO4 nifs? I can get the dev version of the plugin running in the latest blender version with no issue, but other users are reporting a python error which I replicate as well. It's worth noting that I tried this in a mobile blender 2.49 off of the nexus and I got the same error despite that particular package being constructed according to the instructions others use successfully.

I haven't tried it on FO4 as I don't have the PC version of FO4. I'm not surprised it doesn't work with FO4, It probably requires a nifskope work-around similar to what we had to do with Skyrim for 2.49B, changing user versions and stripping out incompatible properties. No way I can test it, so sorry I can't be of much help.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm now at a loss as to how I actually install/use this...

They seem to be redesigning all their websites, I can't find the old pages with all the guides I used to learn it anymore.

But maybe these links will help:

http://www.niftools.org/documentation

https://forum.niftools.org/17-morrowind-modding/

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope

It's well over a decade since I last modded Morrowind, I'm afraid, so I can't be of much help anymore with this.

But if it's about getting NifSkope 1.0.9 installed from the contents of the ZIP, um, yeah... I admit now that I looked into it myself, I don't really understand why there isn't a readily compiled EXE inside or something.

I mean -I- could likely figure out how to create one from this package, but I'm a studied programer and one who "creates" these things himself, and there isn't even a useful documentation inside. This isn't something I would label a "release".

Hmm, maybe I'll have time to get into it more later and find out something of use to you, but I can't promise that due to my work load and lack of free time. Or maybe in the mean time you'll find instructions on how to get what you want from the links I posted. I for one ran into a lot of dead links due to the current redesign though on my own quick dipping. Or perhaps someone else will chime in and help you more.

Or you'll find better information in the Morrowind part of the forums.

These fine folks will definitely know what you'll need for what it is you want to do, and also where to find or how to get it.

• 1 year later...

Honestly don't know why I downloaded Blender to begin with but when I heard you could convert files to nif format using a plugin I figured I finally had a reason to keep Blender on my computer, so I followed the instructions above and nada, plugin didn't work for some reason, and yes I even restarted my PC (Outfit Studio crashes my computer when I try to import anything so that was a waste of time), honestly giving up trying to create custom nif files at this point, all I'm getting out of it is a bunch of application files that don't even work

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/14/2017 at 4:18 AM, Fixadent said:

There is another way of doing this that I learned from someone over at LL.

Export the blender mesh as an obj. file, open outfit studio, drag the obj. file over to the outfit studio screen, then you can export it as a nif.

On 6/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, RGMage2 said:

I took a look at Blender 2.78c yesterday and it did import skyrim nifs (no nifskope workaround required) without any problem. I tested the import with static architectural nifs and some vanilla armor nifs, didn't have time to test exporting or see if it can handle collision. It does look really good and I can't wait to dig into it more, and if there are no problems with exporting then there would be no reason to stay with 2.49b.

The key to installing nif scripts is don't unzip it. Select the zip from within Blender 2.78c

File Menu - User Preferences or CTRL-Alt -U

Go to Add-ons and select Install from File

Navigate to your Nif Scripts zip (in my case it was blender_nif_plugin-2.6.0a0.dev4-20-jun-16.zip

Select it and install from file

Save user preferences

I think it worked without a restart but I can't remember.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:04 PM, DrakeTheDragon said:

Have you tried here?

Can I get someone to take a look and make sure I did this correctly