Colorizing Grey Base Textures...?

One thing I'd like to see is layered materials to build up more complex textures. I can do it now, like I did with my resubmission of the Kerrigan Bodysuit, but it requires duplicating meshes. So, great. I can layer a secondary color and a glow effect on my model, but at the cost of increasing my poly count for each new texture. Not very efficient. If only I had access to the source code, I could probably whip up my layered material idea pretty quickly. Not only that, but if done correctly, I could envision animated textures (similar to apng) for more specialized effects. I digress.

Ok. I give up. VIitS, do you have any idea how to do this? I have tried every combination I can think of. I have Grayscale To Palette Color set in the BGSMs. I have GreyscaleToPalette_Color set in Shader Flags 1 in the NIFs. My OMODs have a ColorRemappingIndex property with the appropriate float values for the color palette. I'm able to construct the mod in game. As far as I can tell, everything is correct. However, the color values of the texture are not changing. I'm out of ideas.

Not sure what's going on, but I decided to clean up my file by copying everything into a new ESP and changing the FormID pointers to the new FormIDs, and now everything is working. Some weird coloring issues I didn't expect. The texture is greyscale, yet the texture comes out looking white instead of grey. At any rate, here's a link to the file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw1Bvs9c7EkwWVJpQWNQaUx4UFU/view?usp=sharing

​I'd love to know what (if anything) I'm doing wrong, and how I can improve this.

​For the record, anyone is free to look at this file for reference. It requires AWKCR. To make the suit, build the appropriate workbench. Modify it as normal.

Edit: I should also note that this is far from complete. I have several attachment points included with the clothing. Some of them will be removed. Others have yet to be implemented. More importantly, I have not created the instance naming rules yet, so you won't be able to tell one color variation from another if you make multiple suits.

Well...crap.

​I have discovered a limitation/Bethesda oversight of the game. The ColorRemappingIndex is a global value to the game object instead of being a value attached exclusively to the material. I suspected this, but have now confirmed it. I had wanted to be able to use different index values for different mesh targets, such as the Vault Suit color, trim color, and decal number, but alas, this is not possible. Changing the index for one changes for all regardless of the material. Bad Bethesda! You should have known better. Anyone have any suggestions how this may be overcome?

You could create color combinations that you want for each part matching against color index and create a gazillion different color indices inside of the palette texture.

Otherwise, as you identified, if indeed that be the case then it seems the only other thing would be to create armor objects for each part.

You could get fancy I suppose with having only one armor piece that's available/modifiable in the player's inventory, and then scripting-equipping the other armor parts when the suit is selected - and even spawn and attach OMODs to the other armor pieces based on which mod(s) are applied to the suit, using keywords to link color-selections on the suit to OMOD's that have different remapping indices.

• 3 years later...

Not sure what's going on, but I decided to clean up my file by copying everything into a new ESP and changing the FormID pointers to the new FormIDs, and now everything is working. Some weird coloring issues I didn't expect. The texture is greyscale, yet the texture comes out looking white instead of grey. At any rate, here's a link to the file:

​I'd love to know what (if anything) I'm doing wrong, and how I can improve this.

​For the record, anyone is free to look at this file for reference. It requires AWKCR. To make the suit, build the appropriate workbench. Modify it as normal.

Edit: I should also note that this is far from complete. I have several attachment points included with the clothing. Some of them will be removed. Others have yet to be implemented. More importantly, I have not created the instance naming rules yet, so you won't be able to tell one color variation from another if you make multiple suits.

Hello, I appraciate your effort. I have problem and I got stuck, mine is little different.

I am importing models, bones, textures from Fallout 4 to 3ds max. I have done this. BUT;

I imported power armor to 3ds max for example, but it's diffuse texture is grayscale. There is also PA_palette_d.DDS which contains colors. But I have no idea how I can merge grayscale and color palette textures. I need to make grayscale texture colorful by using its color palette. And there is nothing that I found yet.

Hello, I appraciate your effort. I have problem and I got stuck, mine is little different.

I am importing models, bones, textures from Fallout 4 to 3ds max. I have done this. BUT;

I imported power armor to 3ds max for example, but it's diffuse texture is grayscale. There is also PA_palette_d.DDS which contains colors. But I have no idea how I can merge grayscale and color palette textures. I need to make grayscale texture colorful by using its color palette. And there is nothing that I found yet.

That’s because the diffuse texture IS greyscale. That’s how palette swapping works in FO4. You use a greyscale texture, and then use a palette texture to swap out values. One of the limitations of this approach is that it limits you to 256 color values per swap. Through FO4 you select which palette you wish to swap out using the color value in your OMOD reference. That value is effectively a reference pointer to the position on your palette where the desired color values exist. This number is effectively a percentage value. If your palette has 10 swaps, then you’ll need to calculate for the mid points of the pixel ranges of each row in order to assure that you have a proper lane hit to get the correct palette. In this case that means that your first row will have a range from 0 to 10 with your max range being from 0 to 100. Your percentage value for row 1 is the average between 0 and 10, which is 5 percent or .05. You can use this method to calculate the rest of your row values fairly easily. Just remember that the values will change based on the number of rows in your palette. Having said all of that, I do not believe that there is a method to swap palettes in this manner from within 3DS Max. The tools created for it predate FO4, and do not have support for color swapping to my knowledge.

That’s because the diffuse texture IS greyscale. That’s how palette swapping works in FO4. You use a greyscale texture, and then use a palette texture to swap out values. One of the limitations of this approach is that it limits you to 256 color values per swap. Through FO4 you select which palette you wish to swap out using the color value in your OMOD reference. That value is effectively a reference pointer to the position on your palette where the desired color values exist. This number is effectively a percentage value. If your palette has 10 swaps, then you’ll need to calculate for the mid points of the pixel ranges of each row in order to assure that you have a proper lane hit to get the correct palette. In this case that means that your first row will have a range from 0 to 10 with your max range being from 0 to 100. Your percentage value for row 1 is the average between 0 and 10, which is 5 percent or .05. You can use this method to calculate the rest of your row values fairly easily. Just remember that the values will change based on the number of rows in your palette. Having said all of that, I do not believe that there is a method to swap palettes in this manner from within 3DS Max. The tools created for it predate FO4, and do not have support for color swapping to my knowledge.

Thank you for your information. Unfortunatly that is too much for me, I cant get color for grayscale because I dont know that much skill. :D

This is my 3ds max render with basic lighting, not bad actually, I can make it for real life as cgi.

But I wish my texture was the same with nifskope shows. Or I wish Nifskope could export mesh with whole new textures.

https://www.hizliresim.com/1nvagy0

Edited by sasasahamza