Another newbie that needs help to take the first steps...

QQuix

Hi, all.

I am a real newbie, as I am new to mods and to forums (I don’t understand half of your discussions and 90% of the acronyms – LOS?? BoB?? MML??).

I started playing Oblivion a couple of months ago and played it for a few weeks. Then I heard about mods and decided to try some. By the time I tried a few, I knew I wouldn’t resist making one myself.

The idea came when I installed “More Maids”, Growlf’s and Oonas clothes and decided to dress up the maids in those fancy clothes and armors. I spent uncounted hours just going back and forth trying to find the ones I liked the most. (buy+carry+try it on a maid+back to the shop+etc)

Then I said to myself: Wouldn´t be nice to be able to see all those clothes before buying??

So I started my career as a modder: I created a showroom in Divine Elegance’s basement where models will wear all those fancy clothes, walk the catwalk and the player may look at them and choose which ones to buy. (If I ever share it, I may call it "Divine Elegance Fashion Show")

It was lots of fun unveiling the secrets of CS and making it do what I wanted.

Now a first alpha version is almost ready and I wonder if I should share it. And this is the reason for this post: I would appreciate if you guys could give me some initial orientations / suggestions / recommendations on what I should do in order to share my mod. Things like:

- First of all: Is this idea any good for other players?

- Sharing ethics and 'etiquette'

- How to get authorization to use other mods I used to build mine.

- Should I get some players to test it in advance (and how to find them) or I just upload it and see what happens?

Thanks in advance on any feedback you may give me.

QQuix

Welcome to the Nexus! I can't find anything about sharing etiquette but a general rule of thumb is to make sure you use the proper tags, and be sure to communicate that your mod may be offensive to some if it adds any adult material to the game. As for approval using other mods, Read the Read Me's to see if the author of those mods approves the re-use of his work, or if he wants his approval requested first. Regardless, you should be sure to credit them in your own readme. And yes, I do like the idea of your mod, should make things alot easier. As for troubleshooting, personally, I would ask a few people I know to help me troubleshoot. I would choose people that have already proven that they can give useful technical information regarding any problems that may be encountered. Now then, most of the forum members here are insane(yes, that includes me). However, we still value order and civility, so we ask that you adopt:

The Ten Commandments of Nexus

1) NEVER mention Cthulhu. To do so is to invoke 'The Golden Touch of Death' from Lord Slythers Golden hand.

2) NEVER demean the The_Terminators fishy-sticks.

3) Fear the grues :ninja:

4)Don't feed Bob(You'll see him eventually, I'm sure)

5)Worship Lisnpuppy, Queen of the Snow Arena and Goddess of the NEXUS(or suffer disembowelment)

6) Have SPAM and don't Fun!(Accept SPAM only from Gman)

7) Kneel before the awesome might of.....Freddy's Accordian.

8) NEVER attempt to encourage sanity

9)Praise the Pies!!!

and last but not least

10) Embrace the insanity( for you shall see little of anything else :thumbsup: )

Welcome again!

You also may want to check if your mods are conflicting with anything. Oblivion Mod Manager may work, but you won't necessarily need it. The Oblivion Launcher may work too. Also if you provide us with the load order you were trying, we might work this out.

That said, welcome to these awesome forums! :biggrin:

Here's your Blackhawk helicopter...

Enjoy! :P

http://www.army.com/wallpaper/Blackhawk_WP.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and for the feedback.

Lord Slyther, I don’t expect conflicts for, as I see it, the only potential conflict is with a mod that changes|uses Divine Elegance´s basement, as that is the only thing my mod replaces from the original game. Everything else is new stuff. If you are aware of any mod that uses DE’s basement, please let me know (and I may move my showroom somewhere else … but it wouldn’t fit as nicely).

I suppose my stats are unusual for the gamers community, so I provide them for your enjoyment:

• I am Brazilian.
  • I just completed 60 years of age and 40 years in the IT business.
  • In general, my English is good, but, here and there, what I write is not exactly what I mean (please, take this into account when you find a phrase that is a little out of place)
  • I am having the time of my life with this new ‘toy’ I found a couple of weeks ago: the TES CS
  • Now I am a part time Oblivion modder (at least for the next few months)
  • Oh, yes …, I am also into sci-fi books (must have about 500 of them), but don’t ask me anything, as I don’t remember a single one of them (which is good: I will enjoy them all over again when I get to my old age)

As for insanity, I am not a ‘Brazilian Nuts’, but my lifetime hero is Don Quixote (if you know him, you know what I mean).

Jojo man, I will follow the rules and won’t demean anything. But I am afraid I may demean myself stating that I have no idea of what fish sticks or Blackhawk helicopters mean here (or Kudos, or LOL, or grues, o SPAM, or … ). As we say here at home: I feel like a Virgin in a whorehouse.

You needn't worry Quix, we're a pretty helpful bunch. LOL means 'Laugh out Loud', SPAM I will leave to Gman to explain(as soon as he gets here), and Grues are the mysterious creatures who dwell in dark places and devour the souls of men. Fishy sticks are the delicacy of choice for the forum members here, and the blackhawk helicopter is Slythers membership gift to you(aquired by his arms dealing trade). As for the Kudos, the more the better. You recieve kudos for uploading great files or being especially helpful to other forum members. And if you wrack your brains, can you ever recall reading a book called Callahan's Crosstime Saloon? It's my personal favorite.

Nope, I am sure I didn’t. I looked at the link and the synopsis look promising, as my favorite theme is time-travel.

If Lord Slyther likes SF, as an arms dealer, he (and you) may enjoy Harry Turtledove’s “Guns of the South”, where a bunch of modern mercenaries equipped with AK-47s time-travel back to the American Civil War and join the Confederates. It is very well written. (I had to look up the title in Wikipedia, but, at least, I did remember the author’s name. Not bad)

Nope, I am sure I didn’t. I looked at the link and the synopsis look promising, as my favorite theme is time-travel.

If Lord Slyther likes SF, as an arms dealer, he (and you) may enjoy Harry Turtledove’s “Guns of the South”, where a bunch of modern mercenaries equipped with AK-47s time-travel back to the American Civil War and join the Confederates. It is very well written. (I had to look up the title in Wikipedia, but, at least, I did remember the author’s name. Not bad)

Hi, QQuix, We have some things in common or near, as nationality, age, job...

This veteran thing at my avatar is somewhat misleading too as I must be frequenting the forum and the modding scene for a month or anything such this.

For a couple of times I opened the reply window but doesn't find what to say at the time, seemed to me than others more experienced should manifest first.

One of the things I wanted to ask was if your mod was meant to allow players seeing their choices before buying or was designed to play predefined performances.

Anyway, if you planned using third part items, you would need to decide between two ways:

first, your mod would be dependent of other mod being active in the player game, this would need at most you sending a thank to the original model modder and making sure to mention his mod in the credits, unless he/she stated different in the documentation.

the second way would be you cloning and adding the respective files into your mod. The procedure wouldn't be very different from the first case, except you would ask to use his files in you mod, too. This would need you caring the meshes files (nif) texture path pointing to your mod paths instead the former ones (thing that could lead to mistake if tested with the mod 'father' present in your setup) and so failing in games lacking the father mod.

Welcome to the twilight zone of sanity

Hi, nosisab. Maybe we even know each other. That would be funny!

As for the mod:

Without the mod, the player goes to Palonyria and buys whatever he/she wants. But the list may be huge, depending on the mods installed (Growlf alone adds more than 300 item iwith his “Growlfs Hot Clothes And Armor”).

With the mod, the player goes to a new showroom in the basement and female models (I have 6 at the moment) will take turns walking the catwalk wearing clothes from the Divine Elegance’s Catalog.

In the first round, the models will wear clothes from “Palonyria´s Special Selection” (actually, clothes that I have hardcoded in the scripts)

[up to here the mod is ready and working beautifully … it is very funny (and enjoyable) to see the girls walking the fancy clothes … as I am using UMPA’s Sexy Walk for the animation … hope nobody calls me a chauvinist pig ]

In the second round, the player can open DE´s catalog (the same huge list as the buy/sell menu) and select a set of items for the next model wear in the catwalk.

[this is what I am working on right now. I have been pressing my brains for two days in how to build this list and was almost convinced that I would have to choose from the two options you mentioned. But just this morning I had a hint from Dragoon Wraith, in CS Wiki, that put me on the right track for a third way to do it. I just coded a test script and it run as expected.

This way, my mod will be independent from other mods. The models will wear whatever clothes from whatever mods the player has installed. The only restriction is that, if the player doesn’t have any of the items hardcoded as “Palonyria´s Special Selection”, the mod will skip that round and go straight to the user selection.

Anytime, as the models take turns on stage, the player can put that outfit either in an ‘order list’ or in a ‘wish list’. The ‘order list’ will be used to reduce the number of item in the ‘buy sell’ menu. The ‘wish list’ will be remembered, so the next time the player visits DE, he/she can choose to review just the previously selected items.

The third stage is when the player will actually buy wathever he/she chose downstairs. [not much done here yet]. I think I will not mess with Palonirya but, instead, expand the role of my Palomirya (her twin sister – today acting as Stage Manager) and give her merchant skills.

Ooops, the text turned out too long … but you can’t hold a father when he is talking about his children.

As for authorization, I already have UPMA’s (he answered very quickly) and I am waiting for Growlf’s.

Welcome Qquix, to our little slice of insanity. Enjoy your stay at the Nexus.

I'm very tired today and my brain isn't working well, so I'll keep it short for now. :cool:

-T-

Welcome Qquix!

SPAM is a lunch meat that comes in a can. Most people think it's nasty, but it's quite good when fried. :P

I will provide a picture tomorrow, as I am currently typing this on my iPod Touch:D

I am also really tired and worn out from a party I was at today... :sleep:

I suppose you could just Google SPAM on Google Images, but it just wouldn't be the same... :P

Archived