Help with making a healing follower?

Derps4Days

So I've been wanting to make a mostly support follower who dabbles in Restoration. The problem is, as I soon found out, you have to make a script to make your custom follower actually heal. I've scoured the internet for hours upon hours now and have found next to nothing. I've tried to piece together a script below (probably very wrong; I don't understand Papyrus that well), but I'm still not sure where to place it. In a Quest, right?

Scriptname AVhealplayer extends Actor

Actor Property Et3AV Auto

SPELL Property HealingHands Auto

Function AVhealtimer()

RegisterForUpdate(5.0) ; Before we can use OnUpdate() we must register.

EndFunction

Event OnUpdate() ; This event occurs every five seconds

If player.GetHealthPercentage() => 50

EquipSpell(HealingHands,0)

DoCombatSpellApply(HealingHands, PlayerRef)

Debug.Trace("Healing the player!")

EndIf

EndEvent

At least, could someone please give me a step by step guide to do this? I know it's possible, just look at the tons of mods that support it. Thank you!!

Edited by Derps4Days

Can't help you with scripting unfortunately...However there is a number of custom followers who come with a custom healing script. Maybe you could ask their mod makers if you can use their script as a basis.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40915/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61140/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36993/?

There are others ...however after trying them all over the years I have to say that only the ones above are well done....Not too weak as to not being helpful with heals but also not too overpowered.

it seems that most modmakers of healing companions choose to use custom shouts to heal the player. Which seems a good choice to me since reaction time for custom/vanilla spells might be hindered/delayed depending on the number of scripted mods installed. Again, I don't really know much about scripting, but maybe these companions are a good start for you.

You don't need to script that. Simply make a package with the UseMagic template. Set a condition "GetHealthPercentage < 0.90" or what ever you want and set target to PlayerReference. Attach the package to a formlist named for example "HealingFLST". In the Follower Alias tab set this formlist as combat override. So your follower will heal the player whenever his health goes below 0.90 percentage. You can look here, how it works in game (second half of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncW2RHEEGiQ&list=PLHLh_7LO-YBAqWHbdiYJ_M92ssNkle3CZ&index=3

Edited by Tasheni

You don't need to script that. Simply make a package with the UseMagic template. Set a condition "GetHealthPercentage < 0.90" or what ever you want and set target to PlayerReference. Attach the package to a formlist named for example "HealingFLST". In the Follower Alias tab set this formlist as combat override. So your follower will heal the player whenever his health goes below 0.90 percentage. You can look here, how it works in game (second half of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncW2RHEEGiQ&list=PLHLh_7LO-YBAqWHbdiYJ_M92ssNkle3CZ&index=3

Ah, okay. I was under the impression that if you used a package, it would be overridden as soon as the NPC was recruited as an active follower. At least, that's what I got from struggling to grasp some discussions scattered across multiple forums. Thanks, I'll try it out.

Can't help you with scripting unfortunately...However there is a number of custom followers who come with a custom healing script. Maybe you could ask their mod makers if you can use their script as a basis.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40915/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61140/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36993/?

There are others ...however after trying them all over the years I have to say that only the ones above are well done....Not too weak as to not being helpful with heals but also not too overpowered.

it seems that most modmakers of healing companions choose to use custom shouts to heal the player. Which seems a good choice to me since reaction time for custom/vanilla spells might be hindered/delayed depending on the number of scripted mods installed. Again, I don't really know much about scripting, but maybe these companions are a good start for you.

I found a more basic healing follower mod that was made with showing people how to make their own custom followers heal in mind. Probably is less versatile (but more understandable) than these, I think. I'll look into your links after doing the UseMagic suggestion Tasheni made. Thank you.

Edited by Derps4Days

• 1 year later...

hey i found this and am trying to do as you said but im new to this, i can't find any more info on the process you describe. could you help me out abit? i got the AI package built with the conditions i think is right but i got lost after you said to attach to formlist and such. im getting headaches trying to dig up info on the process, it seems that after the basic tutorials guys like BIS and Darkfire have put out its you figure it the hell out yourself.

I'm not in front of ck right now, so can't be very prezise. The FormLists can be found in the object window of the ck, same section were Globals are found (pretty much low in the list, can't remember the section, could be Misc). Right click and make a new formlist, give it a unique ID. Drag this empty list to the right side and let it open. Go to packages and drag and drop your package into that formlist. Save the list and close. Go to your follower, preferable make a quest and create an alias for your follower and on the right side below in the alias tab you will find different pull down menus for packages that overrides behavior. Choose Combat Override and select your FormList there. Your follower will heal you if the conditions of your package are met and you are not too far away from him.

In a FormList you can put several packages and add the whole list to an actor in the AI tab or if the actor has an own quest to the alias of the actor. It's used to override the behavior of an actor or if you have an actor with a ton of packages like mine, the FormList runs the packages from top to down and works more solid than to put a dozen packages directly under the AI of an actor. Packages in a FormList will override the normal actor behavior. I hope this helps a bit.

Edited by Tasheni

hey i found this and am trying to do as you said but im new to this, i can't find any more info on the process you describe. could you help me out abit? i got the AI package built with the conditions i think is right but i got lost after you said to attach to formlist and such. im getting headaches trying to dig up info on the process, it seems that after the basic tutorials guys like BIS and Darkfire have put out its you figure it the hell out yourself.

I can't seem to get it working, i have already made the package and attached it to the formlist, then i made a new quest and created an alias with the combat override and still my follower wont heal me when I'm bellow the health threshold (< 0.3). Do i need to add a package for my follower in the AI packages tab? Or is making the quest and the alias enough? If so i am screwing something during the process and I don't know what it is...

Edited by Giovanni1285

You could download my mod Tasheni Followers and load it in ck. Look for EldridFirstQuest or ChiomaraFirstQuest (or dialogue, I'm not at home and can't look into it myself). Look at the aliases. They have a lot of AI packages attached to them, but you can see the combat override package and how it's done.

It's not difficult to achieve. But it will only work if player is not too far away. Good luck.

I can't seem to get it working, i have already made the package and attached it to the formlist, then i made a new quest and created an alias with the combat override and still my follower wont heal me when I'm bellow the health threshold (< 0.3). Do i need to add a package for my follower in the AI packages tab? Or is making the quest and the alias enough? If so i am screwing something during the process and I don't know what it is...

I took a look at the aliases of both quests and made my alias look like them, adding information inside Alias Factions and unticking some of the boxes at the top of the alias window to match the alias from your mod. Besides that, I opened the ChiomaraHealPlayer package and made my healer package look exactly like it, with the exception of the conditions, where i just put the GetHealthPercentage condition, but even though my follower won't heal me when I'm bellow the health threshold. I thought that making a follower heal the player through AI packages wouldn't be that hard, the condition just needed to be met so that the specified spell could act on the specified target. As I never really messed with AI packages, I really don't know if they are that simple, so i'm confused on what to do here. Anyway, thanks for taking time to help me, i really intend to get it working, so I will try again later when i get some free time

Edit: Ok so now i made a duplicate of the _EldridHealParty package and put it into a formlist, but i still couldn't get my follower to heal me after putting this formlist into the combat override package list of the alias :/. I really need help with this as I don't know what to do at this point

Edit 2: Hmmm I managed to get my follower to heal me now, I think i was testing on a bugged save, since loading an earlier save did the trick. The only thing now is that my follower only uses the healing hands spell, not the heal other spell, and i couldn't get the GetHealthPercentage condition to work... I will do more tests and see if i can solve that too.

Edited by Giovanni1285