What's your favourite house you call home in Morrowind?

blake00

Where do you live in Morrowind? And why did you choose that place?

I ended up having quite a few houses that my character called home depending where in the world he was questing and clearing out dungeons.

But my favourite and definite true home was Hlaalo Manor in Balmora. Three levels, a balcony, a large storage room, close proximity to public transport routes.. not to mention a dead body with infinity storage (he was like that when I got there I swear), what more could you want haha. Just shut the nosy maid in her shoebox room and the mansion is all yours!

Obviously Morrowind doesn't have all the lovely property owner upgrades Oblivion & Skyrim have so you've pretty much gotta do all the work yourself lol! So I covered the outside in torches to make it look like flaming fortress, I filled the inside with coloured lights I'd looted throughout my 5 year game and I filled the shelves with cool armour sets. I also added several cool mods to increase the immersion too.. Firstly I inserted mannequins that I equipped with full steel plate armour to look like my guards, then a cape mod to make the mannequin guards all look like Paladins & my regular hired guards look like Ebony Crusaders, and finally a cat mod because.. well I like cats lol. The Mannequin mod also gives you the Suran city dancing girls so I couldn't resist putting them to good use in the upstairs bedroom... Yeah I know.. sorry lol!

Here's a video of my home along with some of the other houses I used while being off far away adventuring. :smile:

https://youtu.be/0fkv5ByENO0?list=PLZqnaGtTZxFbBj69hi4qPS8qJlJbKMz5z

0:00 My Balmora Mansion

2:22 My Rethan Manor

4:58 My Gnaar Mok Fishing Shack

7:47 My Mournhold Mansion

10:03 My Solstheim Raven Rock Mansion

• 2 weeks later...

I'm level 77 and I'm still basically flopping at the Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild. Most of the Guild Halls are like hostels anyway. I keep my stuff in the dead body in Hlaalu Manor, but I don't really like to stay there because there's a dead body and the murder site hasn't been cleaned.

Powerful Feather Potions are my vice.

• 2 months later...

I'm level 77 and I'm still basically flopping at the Mage's Guild and Fighter's Guild. Most of the Guild Halls are like hostels anyway. I keep my stuff in the dead body in Hlaalu Manor, but I don't really like to stay there because there's a dead body and the murder site hasn't been cleaned.

Powerful Feather Potions are my vice.

Haha I guess the dead body in Hlaalu doesn't bother me once I've loaded it up with stuff as he's usually all dressed up in whatever armour I've stored on him. I wish my cats would stop eating him though.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Morrowind Rebirth,so compatible housing options are limited.I tried one or two that worked with it,but I keep going back to Balmora River House.My characters always have alchemy as major or minor skill,so alchemy sorter is a very welcome addition.Nearly all containers inside house are labeled,so it's easy to keep everything tidy,and most of all,it's located right outside Balmora. Only thing I noticed are missing pillows on the bed,but it's no issue at all.It's only a matter of doing a simple edit in CS.Maybe one day I'll get to it.

In vanilla Morrowind I would choose Velas manor in Mournhold.

• 3 months later...

The Abandoned Shack out by Gnaar Mok. I love the ambience and the idea of owning my own tiny island where I can just chill and watch the sea and weather and have fresh crab meat whenever I want :) It's got great storage and is easy to get to via mark and recall! And there's a mod that cleans it up quite nicely.

• 6 months later...

Usually, my first day in Morrowind ends with Foryn Gilnith having a "brief encounter with a sharp object", so I've suddenly got a hammock available for the night. Problem with the shack is that most or all of the containers are "owned", so anything you put in them will be considered "stolen" when you remove them, and much worse, ALL other items of the same type (example: all iron arrows) will also be marked as stolen for the rest of the game. Don't use the crates and sacks if you ever expect to be arrested, or else any of that stuff which you're currently carrying will be confiscated (why is my character suddenly naked?). I started work on a mini-mod to offer your character use of the empty shack "until a buyer is found" (which never happens) as an option instead of the 500 credit reward you get for the Tax Collector quest, which would also remove ownership on the containers, but I will probably never get back to finishing the mod. You could also pick the lock on V. Nuccius' house after you buy his cursed ring and he leaves for the mainland (he's not happy in Morrowind), but I'm not sure if the containers still have ownership marked or not.

The local bandit cave (Addamasartus) provides free temporary storage until I have a real house, since "bandits have no righs" and the containers have no legal ownership. You can sleep in one of the above locations in the mean time, or use the bedroll in the Census and Excise office storage room.

As for a permanent home, I've used several different places for different characters, but the most noteable would be:

Hlormaren features lots of room, especially with a crafting mod that allows me to make furniture and more storage crates, and set up a workshop with an anvil and smelter on the lower level.

Marandus has a nicer furnished interior than Hlormaren, but worse location and some respawning vermin on the upper level. The vermin and tipped shelves can be removed/disabled via console.

A luxurious apartment becomes available in the basement of St. Olms after evicting the current residents. It's conveniently located in Vivec City with a richly furnished and paneled bedroom, but an awkwardly placed statue of good old Sheo parked in the living room, and you also need to keep the door closed to keep the sewer odors (and cultists) out. There are a couple of tiny apartments located along the above-water levels elsewhere in Vivec City which can be used, but they pale in comparison.

Hlaalo Manor has that one "infinite storage" container (technically NOT infinite, because anything over a few thousand unique items will spawn a "loot bag" in the middle of the floor - I believe more than about 1024 items on console will do it, PC limits are substantially higher), but MOST of the more normal containers are marked as owned, and I don't recall which one or two aren't. I find the body in the middle of the floor far more disturbing than a big, ugly statue.

Then there are the Great House fortresses which you can have built as a ranking member of the faction. It's nice when the game clearly recognizes that you own it.