Can anyone help me with this myster issue I'm having with my game?

Driskoll127

I read through the thread so far and I have a few questions for EVERYONE involved?

Why has no one pointed out to the original thread poster that not only is he not using / missing a bashed or merged patch but also he is not using the unofficial patch ( or what ever the unofficial patch is for TTW ) ?

ALSO one major problem I am seeing is the fact that he is using BOTH MCM and CASM, now correct me if I am wrong but isn't MCM included WITH CASM?

26 1a The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

82 52 CASM.esp

Finally, I read in one of the posts made by the original thread poster that he removed mods in the middle of his play through - you NEVER do this, it breaks the save files every single time. Don't believe me, check for yourself. Download and install Wrye Flash from the Fallout New Vegas Nexus and once it's installed run it and click on the saves tab, for EVERY save that is orange or red, it's "most" likely because of deleted mods, in this case.

I'm almost certain that if you use a patch file like I mentioned and choose MCM or CASM, then you're problem "should" go away, either one of these issues could be causing your problem. So the fact that you have both of these issues only makes it that much worse.

Edited by gromulos

@gromulos: Fair points to raise.

Re: Patch file. I did point this out in post #9, directing the OP to read the "Merge Patch File" section of the "FNV General Mod Use" article which describes the issue in depth. Easy enough to miss in the wall of text.

Re: CASM with MCM. I've been over the Description, Readme, and "FOMOD: info.xml" files of "CASM with MCM" again, and none of them indicate it has anything other than support for MCM. The info.xml has "Cipscis with MCM support added by Gribbleshnibit8" and "If you don\'t [sic] have MCM, then the mod will behave exactly like CASM. The new save conditions do NOT have options in the old menu system." The file description for 12 August 2014 might be interpreted the way you did but it has none of the folders in the MCM package (Config, menus, NVSE, textures), So, no, I don't believe it includes MCM, which explicitly denies permission to bundle it with other mods. Personally I installed MCM before I got "CASM with MCM" and have never had a problem with either.

Re: Removing mods. Indeed, I did miss this particular tree for the rest of the forest. Good catch.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I read through the thread so far and I have a few questions for EVERYONE involved?

Why has no one pointed out to the original thread poster that not only is he not using / missing a bashed or merged patch but also he is not using the unofficial patch ( or what ever the unofficial patch is for TTW ) ?

ALSO one major problem I am seeing is the fact that he is using BOTH MCM and CASM, now correct me if I am wrong but isn't MCM included WITH CASM?

26 1a The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

82 52 CASM.esp

Finally, I read in one of the posts made by the original thread poster that he removed mods in the middle of his play through - you NEVER do this, it breaks the save files every single time. Don't believe me, check for yourself. Download and install Wrye Flash from the Fallout New Vegas Nexus and once it's installed run it and click on the saves tab, for EVERY save that is orange or red, it's "most" likely because of deleted mods, in this case.

I'm almost certain that if you use a patch file like I mentioned and choose MCM or CASM, then you're problem "should" go away, either one of these issues could be causing your problem. So the fact that you have both of these issues only makes it that much worse.

Wait, really? I have been constantly removing/adding mods in my playthrough. If I don't end up liking a mod I usually just delete it. What am I supposed to do to remove mods?

Where can I get the unofficial patch? Do I need one for New Vegas and TTW?

Yes really, the moment you delete a mod you break EVERY save that had that mod included in it. Just by what you said "I have been constantly removing/adding mods in my playthrough.", I can guarantee you this is why you are having problems. In my personal opinion, time to start a new character with the information you have learned.

You DON'T remove mods unless you are starting a new character, it's as simple as that. My suggestion is keep the mods you want and like, if you find new mods, watch how they are used / played with on youtube AND make a save that has no mods and that way you can test each new mod you "think" you may like :)

Unofficial patch - http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664/?

Edited by gromulos

Yes really, the moment you delete a mod you break EVERY save that had that mod included in it.

No, you don't.

Well, you might. It depends on the mod. But it's definitely not a universal thing like the above quote makes it seem like.

If the mod deletes something (like it removes something and replaces it with something else), depending on what is being deleted and how it is being deleted, it may remain deleted even after you remove the mod. There's no way to fix that, other than loading a save from before you added the mod.

If the mod has scripts, weird things can happen if those scripts were active and running when you removed the mod.

So yeah, a lot of stuff can break if you remove a mod.

On the other hand, if the mod only adds a weapon or a piece of armor/clothing, you can usually remove that without any issue. The weapon or armor just won't be in the game any more. Similarly, most companion mods can be removed without causing issues, though some of the fancier companion mods with quests alter other things that can get hosed up if you remove their mod. You can generally remove simpler companions without any issues, though.

So it depends.

What I personally do is play around with various mods to see if I like them. Then, once I have a configuration I like, I start a new game and play through that without adding or removing mods along the way. This is a safer way of doing things.

Yes really, the moment you delete a mod you break EVERY save that had that mod included in it.

On the other hand, if the mod only adds a weapon or a piece of armor/clothing, you can usually remove that without any issue. The weapon or armor just won't be in the game any more.

Really? Let me see you try that with Hoth's Immersive Armors or the Omega Red Armor Compilation lol - OR since this is Fallout New Vegas, this mod - Afterschool Special - http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43757/?

What I personally do is play around with various mods to see if I like them. Then, once I have a configuration I like, I start a new game and play through that without adding or removing mods along the way. This is a safer way of doing things.

^ VERY sound advice ^

Like you said yourself, it really DOES depend on the mod being removed, BUT, good "general" advice is to not remove mods at all

Edited by gromulos