Long Startup Time (Black Screen)

teepeezombie

It started again, and I don't have the earlier loose audio files installed that I thought caused the issue. I have read, though, that having a lot of loose files - any loose files - can cause long load times, so maybe that's it. I do have the optimized texture package and several other loose texture files, as well as several audio overhaul mods installed. I'm doing some testing to see what I can do to fix my problem. Right now, it takes 6 minutes for Fallout 4 to load to the main menu and 4 minutes from the time I select a save file to load until I get into game.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a month, and this might be a dumb question, but: Do you run F4SE loader as an admin? I've had a similar issue these past few days, with the seemingly infinite black loading screen when starting the game (I never had the patience to sit there and see if it would eventually load after all). Turns out all I had to do was check "Run as administrator" for F4SE loader in my FO4 folder. This was never a problem before, but it is now, apparently. Now it's working again. For the moment, anyway. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

(Currently using 150 mods, on Win10, still with NMM, not Vortex; for reference.)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue to you and i have no idea what is causing the real problem. in fact i went here to find out other peoples opinions.

so after an exhaustive testing to find the problem, i came across the same issues but with different mods and then i started running procmon to look for issues and found this in the logs.

for some reason, it is trying to look for loose sounds files in \Fallout 4\Data\Data\sound

Edited by Invictusblade

• 3 months later...

Don't know about any of you guys, but after I tried all the "Fixes" that did not work...it came to me that I never shut down the game via the game. I had a bad habit of console QQQ. I was having 5-10min from from clicking f4se_loader icon. I tested my theory by shutting down thru Quit then T for desktop. Restarted game, and it loaded(had stop watch on phone running) game loaded in 1min. 56sec. Now never over 2min.20sec. With the exception of when my game CTD. If any of you do this; it's your problem is my guess.

Good Luck you guys

Kenjero

32gig ddr3 ram

AMD 8350 cpu (something like that)

G Force 1080 graphics card

1.5 TB Toshiba HD.

2013 model Gigabyte MB

• 1 year later...

For anyone still having this issue, since I couldn't find any place where this solution has been posted yet. I've had this problem of long startup times for a long time.

The problem seems to be windows defender checking file access or something similar whenever the game launches, the problem gets progressively worse the more loose files e.g. mods you have installed. Adding an exception for the Fallout4.exe and f4se_loader.exe respectively in the antivirus settings fixed it.

Alternatively add an exception for the entire fallout 4 folder.

For anyone still having this issue, since I couldn't find any place where this solution has been posted yet. I've had this problem of long startup times for a long time.

The problem seems to be windows defender checking file access or something similar whenever the game launches, the problem gets progressively worse the more loose files e.g. mods you have installed. Adding an exception for the Fallout4.exe and f4se_loader.exe respectively in the antivirus settings fixed it.

Amazingly, this worked, thanks a lot, cut mine down from multiple minutes of loading to under a minute, added exceptions for my mod organizer folder + the Fo4 directory

A first magnitude miracle!!!! I, too, have been dealing with gradually lengthening load times which I blamed on significant modding. It has been taking 5 minutes or more to get to the main menu to select a save or just continue - on a system where my SteamLibrary folder is on an SSD. But with the various problems I run into with inter-mod compatibility I just chalked it up to modding in general. Over the 3 or 4 years I've played this game I think I've actually run into this as a solution before but forgot about it as I gradually built up my mod collection. I'd suspect that Microsoft may be resetting the administrator option on some Windows 10 updates, perhaps using the excuse of better safe than sorry.

The curious thing to me is why this makes such a difference? What is Microsoft doing that still succeeds in letting the game run without telling you anything is wrong, at least out loud.

Thanks again for this reminder that not all problems are with modding - sometimes it's the platform you're doing it on!! Load time now well below one minute!

• 3 months later...

This worked now only waits a few seconds thanks

This worked now only waits a few seconds thanks

Just jumping on the bandwagon here. This worked for me as well. Went from 5-6 minute load time to about 20 seconds. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this since this needs to become common knowledge. I haven't played the game for a few months and was close to giving up on modding it because I was so sick of troubleshooting crashing, freezing, etc not because they were happening on my setup, but because everytime I got sent out of the game, I'd have to wait 10-15 minutes just to get to the main menu. After I saw the numerous positive responses to your post, I had to give it a try.Took about 2-3 minutes for the menu to appear, same as my heavily modded SE.

Thank you for sharing this. You've made Fallout 4 relevant for me again.