Custom mount animations issues

bekutaa

I noticed that when the player mounts a regular horse, the camera/player moves around so they face the horse's side, then mount. However, I can't figure out how to make this happen with my custom elk mount. I can mount fine, but the player doesn't turn around, so I end up mounting thin air (based on which direction I was facing before activating "Mount"), then snap into the proper place. How do I force the player to actually face the mount's side before mounting? I had assumed the mounting animation included this by default. Disabling idles would be nice too but that's not as important.

I also have a major problem regarding swimming. Normally, the horse swims and the player stays mounted. In my case, while technically I stay "mounted", I end up floating above the mount's back, playing the swimming/running animations. This lasts until I dismount and remount. It's the same issue mentioned in this age-old post: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3061234-custom-mount-swimming-glitch/

Screenshot of result: http://imgur.com/yi54Se2

Finally, I can't get movement types to work. I increased the numbers regarding rotation (from 90 to 270 like horses) for my custom movement type that I then assigned to my mount, but nothing seems to have changed. Is this a recurring problem with movement types?

I noticed that when the player mounts a regular horse, the camera/player moves around so they face the horse's side, then mount. However, I can't figure out how to make this happen with my custom elk mount. I can mount fine, but the player doesn't turn around, so I end up mounting thin air (based on which direction I was facing before activating "Mount"), then snap into the proper place. How do I force the player to actually face the mount's side before mounting? I had assumed the mounting animation included this by default. Disabling idles would be nice too but that's not as important.

No one seems to have fixed the issue of the Player not mounting a non-horse mount correctly from what I've seen. You can prevent the elk's idle animations by putting a condition on the idle animation DeerIdleRoot. You can prevent the deer's idles by checking your custom mount's race [GetIsRace CustomElkRace = 0], checking if the custom mount is a player teammate [GetPlayerTeammate = 0], has the mounting keyword [HasKeyword ActorTypeHorse = 0], etc. These examples ensure that all other creatures, using deer animations, will still be able to use the idle animations you are preventing your custom mount's race from using, so long as they don't fulfill those conditions.

I also have a major problem regarding swimming. Normally, the horse swims and the player stays mounted. In my case, while technically I stay "mounted", I end up floating above the mount's back, playing the swimming/running animations. This lasts until I dismount and remount. It's the same issue mentioned in this age-old post: https://forums.nexus...wimming-glitch/

Screenshot of result: http://imgur.com/yi54Se2

The issue here is that non-horse custom mounts don't have the correct mounted swimming animations so to prevent that, some mods opted to prevent the custom mount's swimming animations from playing altogether. You can put a condition on the DeerSwimRoot idle animation to prevent swimming animations from playing for your custom elk's race, same procedure here as well. I'd suggest using HasKeyword ActorTypeHorse = 0 for this one specifically.

Finally, I can't get movement types to work. I increased the numbers regarding rotation (from 90 to 270 like horses) for my custom movement type that I then assigned to my mount, but nothing seems to have changed. Is this a recurring problem with movement types?

What is it that you would like to do here? Asking because I've never touched this aspect of a custom mount race.

One question, do mind me asking where that elk mesh, in your picture, is from? A friend of mine is looking for a good one and that one looks pretty good.

Edited by iMACobra

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for telling me what to do with idles, searching "turn off idles" never got me anything. I guess my first two issues are unsolvable, then... I'll just have to live with my character running on my elk's back.

As for the last question: Horses turn around far faster than deer/elk do, at least as far as my custom elk mount works. You can easily turn around and barely move out of your original location, while deer and elk run (or walk) large circles to turn around. I believe this is due to the rotate number in horse movement types being 270 rather than 90. I looked into horse movement types, but their respective MTs aren't even linked to them (it's blank)! So I have no idea how MTs work and neither does anyone else, apparently. It gets annoying needing to turn around in mounted combat and ending up circling your target like a fool.

I noticed that my mount turns around practically instantly in its own, unmounted combat, though, so maybe it's something to do with turning while mounted? I'll continue looking into it.

The elk mesh is from True Elk of Skyrim (TEOS) which has since been taken down off the Nexus.

Edited by bekutaa

• 4 months later...