Mod that makes NPCs go under roofs when rain/storm

JohnnyLX91

Maybe you have hit on it with this. When a Rad Storm is detected it triggers the bell ring keyword (or whatever) and gets all the settlers to run to a specific location such as a concrete shelter. I wonder if it could be done where they run to a load screen door for an interior cell. You would of course want to make this a pretty large area so you don't have like 30 settlers smashed into a 10 x 10 root celler.

I've done a little mod in which you place a mat in your settlement and, when it rains or there is a rads storm, all settlers go near to it.

Only one mat can be placed for each settlement, it doesn't work for robots, animals nor creatures.

Download for testing: ItRains

Also, there is 'key' connected to sheltering - the bed one. Between that and the 'bell ring', I think a mod should be possible.

In other words, create a settlement object (could be a whole shelter, or just some alternate roof-pieces in workshop) that have the 'sheltered' key for them which works with beds, and then when the 'alternative bell' rings (a storm happens), they have to run for an item marked as sheltered.

I don't know how to mod, but I used to know how to code very well (back in the dinosaur days of computing), and you'd have to setup a script that asked for two variables to be 'on' at the same time. When the storm happens, it would make the settler run for the second variable - 'coverage'. The thing is, there is only one bell, and if that got modded, then I don't think you could also still use it the vanilla way (although once again, with multiple variables, you may be able to create such a setup). The coding for that is already there in the bell object - you just have to inject a script that would split it off into two scenarios.

I've done a little mod in which you place a mat in your settlement and, when it rains or there is a rads storm, all settlers go near to it.

Only one mat can be placed for each settlement, it doesn't work for robots, animals nor creatures.

Download for testing: ItRains

Thanks, I'll try it out, I've been busy trying to condense items I've made over the years into a mod that adds tyres and glow-maps to vehicles and various reflective items. I've left the brain-damaged npc's to fend for themselves...

EDIT: It seems to work great and I like that it doesn't affect robots, animals or creatures. The only problem I had was the area I tried it out in only had one entrance, so of course one of the npc's on several occasions decided to park themselves right in the doorframe and preform a smoking animation, not allowing any of the other npc's to pass.

I really have no knowledge with scripting, but is it possible to make it override the idle animations or where you can place several mats down and the npc will just go to the closest one? Or affect all rad weather, like rad fog and rad overcast but not regular fog and overcast?

When you've finished polishing it up, it definitely qualifies for mod of the month.