Bug: Animals rise into sky, float, fall and die??

Barrind

I can't get to the bottom of this bug. Animals such as chickens, cows, elk etc will suddenly rise up into the sky, float for a few seconds, then fall back to earth and die. This seems to happen most often when they are in the mid distance, I assume at a distance where the the level of detail changes. I also sometimes see animals at this distance shake/vibrate or move erattically, until I get closer to them. This probably preceeds them rising up into the air. It only seems to happen with animals, not NPCs. I am not very far into the game so don't know it it affects any monsters. I've tried reinstalling form scratch and tried changing the uExterior Cell to 64 and uGridsToLoad to 7.

Any ideas what is causing this?

I am running the latest steam version with the following mods

A Quality World Map

Better Sorting

Categorized Favourites

Dovahkiin Hideout

Dovahkiin Retreat

Glowing Ore Veins

Lost Art of the Blacksmith

More Craftables

Realistic Water Textures

Shadow Striping fix

Skyrim Floral Overhaul

Skyrim HD 2K textures

SkyUI

Smithing Perks Overhaul

Vals Crafting Meltdown

Wepaons and Armour Fixes

Yes! I've had this problem too but it sounds like it's more severe than what you two are getting.

I'm getting the actor twitching at long distances, but I've yet to see any animal fly up into the sky. Except my horse when I'm riding it. It has something to do with the water. Whenever I run anywhere outdoors, the screen keeps flashing the brownish underwater color really really fast. And I say it's water, because the sound thats played when you exit swimming also plays every time one of these flashes happen. When it occurs, the sounds are played and stopped as long as the flashes, but when it stops, the sound plays normally, and it's definitely the same sound thats played when you exit swimming.

It's extremely annoying. I haven't been able to play Skyrim properly for ages. A couple of things I noticed too (although I don't know if they are related to that water glitch thingie), is that the smoke on the loading screens can sometimes turn bright red for a moment. Other effects like the mist on distant mountains flashes a couple of times when it's close to the edges of my monitor. It's all weird. I dunno what to do, since google searching has been useless in finding a fix. I don't even know if the water bug is tied to the twitchy distant npc's, but I also am having that glitch, so it's something to go on.

Whenever I run anywhere outdoors, the screen keeps flashing the brownish underwater color really really fast. And I say it's water, because the sound thats played when you exit swimming also plays every time one of these flashes happen. When it occurs, the sounds are played and stopped as long as the flashes, but when it stops, the sound plays normally, and it's definitely the same sound thats played when you exit swimming.

I got this brown flashy screen/water sound bug also but since I have reinstalled it hasn't done this again, so far. I got used to it while it did it though, but the needless chicken suicides got to me so I reinstalled :) Didn't fix it though as above. Glad to see it's not just me and not down to a mod, so that I don't have to phaff about switching mods off. I am running an i7 but have switched hyperthreading off as it slows BF3 down with it on, don't know if that is a common demoninator at all. I also tried the timescale tweak to fix the jerky shadow movement when I first installed the game, but went back to default when I reinstalled, so its not that either.

• 1 year later...

Finally I have found a thread on this. Have there been any fix's on this issues, I stopped playing because this became so bad.

Basically Lydia died to this "falling" and so did my horse while we were moving down a mountain and when I finally got up i tried to fight

a wolf but it just kept bouncing up and down until I lured it to a flat. it seems that inclines cause it? but I have also seen it happen on "flatter" ground..

I'd really LOVE to just play this game...

Any got any suggestions?

The "fix" for this bug is to shrug and pray nothing worse happens. This is a Bethesda game, after all. You're lucky it doesn't set your computer on fire and burn your house down.

The problem is that the whole navmesh-AI-Havok interaction system simply doesn't work. They toss stuff into the editor using hand-placed mouse drag and then eyeball it into place, hoping that Havok will just kind of settle it into place. You see this happen with food on plates all the time, just on a much smaller scale. It reeks of terrible design. What they SHOULD have done is put in place a system of slot containers with dynamic subslots, and navlines within spliced timed events, but I guess that sort of thing goes over their heads (even though Will Wright had no trouble using those about 15 years ago for Sims 1).

• 1 year later...

The water sound issue for me was "tearing" going over the 60fps... really annoying but fixed it with vsync, there is a mod out there that fixes it too but its very outdated. Iv found that two things can cause the npc/animal flying issue (been looking it up since it started happening to me recently). One is that when an animal gets stuck in the mesh it is "replaced" above the mesh and apparently too high, usually its the larger animals. Second is Giants bashing them into the air.

I don't know why the twitching happens, I assumed it was the model colliding on itself.

• 4 years later...

it has to do with the engine the game is run on, you have to set your refresh rate to 60 and put vsync on that should fix it since the games physics engine is made to get a max of 60 ticks per second 1 tick is one frame, once you go over that it starts overcompensating for things and results in odd behavior

• 1 year later...

it has to do with the engine the game is run on, you have to set your refresh rate to 60 and put vsync on that should fix it since the games physics engine is made to get a max of 60 ticks per second 1 tick is one frame, once you go over that it starts overcompensating for things and results in odd behavior

Can someone explain what he's saying so I know how to do it? Also, has this worked for anyone?