Fresh install, No mods, Brand new everything, CTD on load. A tale of woe...

jennywoerz

I'm just about at my wits end with this issue, let me start my tale of woe from the beginning...

~~~~~~~~~~

Once upon a time there was a young woman who could play Fallout 4 and all its' DLC while also running 150 mods at once with nary a stutter to show for it, frankly she was astounded at her good fortune.

Said good fortune came to an end when one fateful day her PC died without warning. Upon restart she was informed by Windows that a fatal error had occurred and that the only course of action was a complete factory reset, which it then proceeded to initiate without so much as a 'by your leave' from the young woman.

Windows then went to work resetting everything, much to the horror of the traumatised young woman, pausing only occasionally to turn itself off and on again, and 40 days and 40 nights later (or so it seemed, it was probably only a few hours) the PC awoke and Windows proclaimed: "All your files are exactly where you've left them, but all applications have been deleted"

"But that's not a factory reset at all" replied the young woman.

"Whatever, you're on your own now" was Windows response, before closing all its' pop ups and leaving the confused young woman to take stock of what remained.

True to its' word, Windows had erased all her applications, no word processor, no reliable web browser, no Steam and not single game to be found.

Then the young woman inspected her PC for documents and again, true to its' word, found all her documents, including her old Steam directory, which contained her precious Fallout 4 data and saves.

Tempted as she was to simply reinstall Fallout 4 and drop her old files into place again the young woman decided it was high time for a fresh start, placed her old Saves file in a corner of the Desktop and deleted everything else.

Over the next few days the young woman painstakingly downloaded and reinstalled Steam, Fallout 4 and all its' DLC. She lovingly tweaked and adjusted the settings to her preferences, ensured that all the brand new files were in their proper places, and started the game anew.

Only to have her shiny, newly installed game crash to desktop as soon as the introductory video had ended.

"Perhaps I had the settings too high?" she mused. She set them as low as they could possibly go and tried again, but the result was the same.

"Perhaps the Internet will have the answers I need?" she further theorised, opening Google.

And answers she found, hundreds upon hundreds of them, but none of them seemed to fit her particular problem. She spent a fortnight testing many different solutions, she verified the integrity of her game files, tweaked INI settings, installed both F4SE and ENBoost, tried every different compatibility setting, ran the game both in and out of administrator mode, updated her drivers, deleted and reinstalled different files, and even reinstalled the game twice more.

No matter what the hapless young woman tried, Fallout 4 would crash to desktop each and every time she tried to load it, and she started to lose hope.

~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone have any ideas that might help me?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the long, over-dramatic post.

I "SUSPECT" that when windows did the reinstall, it deleted any windows updates you had, this would also include things like DirectX and .NET framework. Try running a windows update and see if anything pops up that you need to install.

also make sure that you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

the reset probably got rid of those as well

Ah... I feel stupid now. I thought I'd updated the drivers already but it seems I missed one. Everything's hunky dory now. Thank you :)