Bloated save - nothing helps

Mi7Sama

Hi there,

for some reason my save file keeps bloating. It's at 40mb now and I have no idea what else I could do to make save and load times bearable again... I put "ClearInvalidRegistrations=1" in my SKSE.ini, I deleted mods that I do no longer need, disabled auto save and waited for 31 ingame days in a small cell.

I even tried to clean my save using the Save Game Script Cleaner, but I barely managed to reduce the file size by 15kb... Does it take lots of ingame time (and saving maybe) to slowly reduce the save file size or should the results be noticeable immediately?

http://i.imgur.com/E9ab6hs.png

Is there any additional advice or experience you guys can share? I really want to continue with that character, because I put tons of effort into this playthrough so far.

Thanks a lot in advance.

first of all removing mods mid game will cause problems. that is the reason you have orphan scripts. second save bloat is not a 40 mb save file. My most recent save is 38 mb and I get very fast load times, very good fps, and I don't think game has crashed once on this playthrough. This is with something like 500 mods installed. I would suggest optimizing textures using ordenador, using crash fixes by meh, enb reduce memory, and safety load. Much of the size of your save is probably papyrus scripts. my last playthrough was like 56 mb at level 32.

Edited by irswat

first of all removing mods mid game will cause problems. that is the reason you have orphan scripts. second save bloat is not a 40 mb save file. My most recent save is 38 mb and I get very fast load times, very good fps, and I don't think game has crashed once on this playthrough. This is with something like 500 mods installed. I would suggest optimizing textures using ordenador, using crash fixes by meh, enb reduce memory, and safety load. Much of the size of your save is probably papyrus scripts. my last playthrough was like 56 mb at level 32.

Thanks, mate. However, I'm not experiencing any crashes or FPS problems. As said, my specs are quite beefy (and I'm using a SSD, which should reduce load times drastically). It just takes a lot of time to load or save games all of a sudden. This was not the case a few levels ago and the size of my save files is pretty much increasing constantly.

Although it's not recommended to remove scripted mods mid-game, could taking the risk of uninstalling them nevertheless help with my issue?

EDIT: I'm already using crash fixes, reduce memory and safety load, btw.

Edited by Mi7Sama

I don't think you have an issue. While there is alot of posts on the internet that suggests a save should be rather small like 10 MB, and anything larger is bloated I have found it perfectly normal for a save to be as much as 56 mb with 0 problems. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it, or it will break.

I wouldn't care about the file size itself, if it wasn't growing rapidly, including constantly increasing loading times. As said, my specs are able to handle Skyrim and a lot of newer games with ease. Now I'm stuck in load screens for what feels like minutes and quicksaves take ages to complete.

I wouldn't care about the file size itself, if it wasn't growing rapidly, including constantly increasing loading times. As said, my specs are able to handle Skyrim and a lot of newer games with ease. Now I'm stuck in load screens for what feels like minutes and quicksaves take ages to complete.

Just as one more piece of evidence that something must be wrong (apart from the afore-mentioned things): I just played for 30 minutes or so without saving and upon my first save the file size went up by an entire megabyte.

• 2 weeks later...