Ambient Occlusion Issue

ChrisDavidRob

Hey there, :happy:

I'm not sure what this is. my problem is that the ambient occlusion effect seems to dissipate at the edge of the screen, as if the AO is only rendered within a smaller boundary of the screen

SO the AO just dissapears as it approaches the edge of the screen when i'm moving, and it is extremely noticeable. This happens with both SSAO and HBAO+, though of course it's more noticeable with the latter.

And It doesn't look too bad on the screenshots but in motion, in game it's very annoying and ugly, and it's EVERYWHERE all of the time.

I was wondering if there is anyway this can be resolved or made a little less obvious. Does anyone know what it could be.

It's worth noting I have uninstalled all my mods. On vanilla the issue is still there.

There is a setting, I think bblenddirshadow or something, by default this is set low like 250 units. I set this to 500 and it's much better. I'll try to find it for you

Try upping these 2 settings from FalloutPrefs:

fBlendSplitDirShadow=400.0000
fMaxFocusShadowMapDistance=450.0000

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I was living with this exact same issue for a looooong time and last night it mysteriously disappeared. Two things happened before I noticed this issue had stopped:

1. I packed all the loose files (maybe hundreds...there were a lot of them) for my texture replacements into BA2 archives.

2. Right after I did that I got a notification that the Windows 10 Creator's Edition update had been installed and my machine needed a reboot.

After waiting for the update to finish and rebooting I finally went in-game to make sure my new texture .esp files were working properly. I COCed into the cell of a player home mod I'm working on and noticed right away the AO issue had stopped. It was VERY noticeable in the past, but now there is no sign of it.

Not saying one of either of my listed actions had anything to do with it, they may be totally unrelated. But, the fact that the AO problem stopped after both those events makes me think there might be a connection...no idea what that would be. I had a TON of loose texture files that are now in three separate archives...could have been something about the way they were loading as loose files...dunno. I just know that I no longer have this issue. *shrug*