FO4 MCM Is Coming...!

shadowslasher410

So it's not even close to being finished yet, but I'm so excited I just can't wait any longer!

Over the past few months, I've been chipping away at an MCM menu for Fallout 4, because you know the old saying, "If you want something done, do it yourself."

The design itself is based on existing designs for the menus in Fallout 4, and uses bits and pieces from them, but the modification, assembly, and scripting is all going to be done by me (and a bunch of tutorials and looking at how the other menus work and stuff).

It looks black and white now, but eventually it will be whatever color you have your interface color set at (like the rest of the menus).

A preview of the spiffy new color picker I'm making

Where I'm at: So I've got the entire menu all done design-wise, now it will be coding until my brains turn to mush and my fingers fall off...

Features: In terms of features, I plan on having all the option types that you could have in SkyUI (in terms of functionality; I won't actually use any assets or scripting). I'm also in the process of scripting what I think is going to be a really cool color picker.

Release Date: I have no flipping clue. I'm going to be gone on vacation for two weeks starting tomorrow, which means I can't work on it (I have a desktop, so I can't bring it with me). So factoring in that, I'd say hopefully I will have it in a releasable state somewhere towards the end of August/the beginning of September. NOTE THAT THIS IS A PRELIMINARY ESTIMATE ONLY, NOT A BINDING TIMELINE!!! So don't go bugging me about it if its not done by then, okay?

How You Can Help: Well, if you know ActionScript 3.0 and are willing to help with the coding, that would be spectacularific. I also need to do the papyrus implementation of all the ActionScript I am doing, so, if you know papyrus and want to help, I could give you instructions on what I would need done for that side of things. Other than that, in a future release (probably not the initial one), I plan on making a splash screen, and probably some sort of mechanism where you can sort all your mod menus (by alphabetical order, load order, custom order, etc).

EDIT: Also, if anyone knows any resources for Actionscript 3.0 that would be much appreciated, since Adobe messed up the API documentation for ActionScript 3.0, so now I can't get to it (it isn't just me, right?)...

EDIT2: Just to clarify, the difference between this and Neanka's MCM (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22491/) is that her's doesn't require F4SE, is terminal-based and has mod authors use an XML structure to format their add-ons, whereas the one I am making will require F4SE, be menu based and mod authors would use papyrus instead, like SkyUI's MCM (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/) or Fallout New Vegas's MCM (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42507/)

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that I missed in any MCM -menu before, was to have some kind of master settings -save for all the mod added in the Mcm. Sooner or later, my Mcm will be filled with different settings and changes and when I start a new game, I either have to redo all of them or (If I'm lucky) import the separate .json -saves for each one of them. Would that be possible to implement at some time perhaps? Pretty please? :teehee:

One thing that I missed in any MCM -menu before, was to have some kind of master settings -save for all the mod added in the Mcm. Sooner or later, my Mcm will be filled with different settings and changes and when I start a new game, I either have to redo all of them or (If I'm lucky) import the separate .json -saves for each one of them. Would that be possible to implement at some time perhaps? Pretty please? :teehee:

Mmmm... possibly? Not in the first release though. I'm having enough trouble getting this thing to work... :wallbash: WHY... WON'T... YOU... COMPILE??!! :wallbash:

Are you developing this in the open? On GitHub? I don't know Papyrus or Action Script in particular, but I can usually understand the basic flow, so would interesting to take a peek at this. :smile:

@Neanka - What? Did I get the gender wrong? I realize now I did spell 'hers' wrong... (Sorry If I did mix up the gender. I'm female so I tend to assume others are female as well, even though most people on here are probably male) Or are you confused by what I meant? I was talking about this mod of yours.

@Freso - well right now its just a ton of Actionscript files (and a few flash files) on a USB drive. But yeah, I can make em public. Here you go! Hope you have Adobe Animate CC!

• 1 month later...

My apologies for the lack of updates (forum-wise). I've joined with veteran modders Neanka and registrator2000 to create MCM. We're almost done, and plan on releasing it sometime this week! We just have to finish polishing, testing, and writing documentation.

It will use .JSON along with Papyrus to provide the maximum amount of customization possible to everyone!

Here's our github: http://github.com/Neanka/MCM_0.1_AS3

A (slightly out of date) video of our progress: https://youtu.be/x4WmF50bQho