Wearing a Stealth Boy makes you invisible but adds rads

darlingg

Could we somehow use the game's existing addiction scheme to manage these eventual side-effects? Though with the understanding that this "addiction" can't be cured the same way as those from chems.

I'll look into it

EDIT: Oh, not hugely important, but a rad autoinjector like the auto inject stimpack could be put together. I could see pre nuke versions made to support troops fighting in "hot spots" or nuclear cleanup workers/nuclear techs using it in an industrial setting. It would only auto inject at a certain rad sickness level (say advanced or the critical level). Not essential just a random thought to add some little bits of useful lore and a handy tool.

Edited by devinpatterson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see that "Radaway" auto-injector item/implant as a separate plugin file (along with a stimpack version). As you say, certainly fits into the lore, and if someone thought up the auto-injector for one, the other would be a logical spinoff. First thought to hit when I first came across the stim-pack version built into the OWB Stealth suit: "That's an oversight, surely?"

-Dubious-

I'd like to see that "Radaway" auto-injector item/implant as a separate plugin file (along with a stimpack version). As you say, certainly fits into the lore, and if someone thought up the auto-injector for one, the other would be a logical spinoff. First thought to hit when I first came across the stim-pack version built into the OWB Stealth suit: "That's an oversight, surely?"

-Dubious-

sure no problem dubious, I appreciate the advice you've given me on military matters (and other subjects you'v commented on in the forums), and it's the least I could do, I'll try to whip it up in a day or two.

Oh, did you have a threshold/level in mind?

This is from the wiki;

Rads Level Effect

0-199 No Effect

200-399 Minor Radiation Poisoning -1 END

400-599 Advanced Radiation Poisoning -2 END, -1 AGL

600-799 Critical Radiation Poisoning -3 END, -2 AGL, -1 STR

800-999 Deadly Radiation Poisoning -3 END, -2 AGL, -2 STR

1000+ Fatal Radiation Poisoning DEATH (HP: -10,000)

Also if you could playtest it for me, I'd appreciate it since I have zilch for free time :sad:

devinpatterson, thanks, I'll try it out tonight & tomorrow, but will be away the rest of the week.

The vanilla Stealth Girl perk lets the vanilla Stealth Boy last twice as long, so halving the radiation from the new mod's Stealth Boy would have a similar practical result.

An auto-injector for Radaway would be useful with this mod, but also on its own. I think it should be a separate mod. This one might already fill the bill: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56112/? . As discussed before, Rad-X and radiation suits would be no help here.

The vanilla rad thresholds are fine. If players want further effects of radiation sickness they can add other mods like: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61343/? .

I placed the new .esp in my load order below the lowest of my mods to affect the Stealth Boy. FNVEdit added the "Scripts" Bash tag to its header, and I rebuilt my Bashed Patch near the end like I do with every new mod. Dropping the vanilla Stealth Boy I had in my character's Aid inventory and picking it up again gave him the new Apparel version, for which the Pip-Boy showed WG 1.00, VAL --, CND full and "Light", with effects of "RADs +6 (sic), Stealth Field +75, Sneak +100". Equipping it set my character's Sneak Skill from 19 to 100 (capped?) and immediately increased his rads from 4 to 50 (repeating on-off-on added 42, 47 etc: seems like 40 plus a fraction of 8, depending on timing), with "stealth field on" sound effect, and continued to add more rads at +8 per second, while Pip-Boy/Status/Eff correctly showed "Stealth Field +75, Sneak +100, RADs +8". However 3rd-person did _not_ show him to have turned transparent. Removing the Stealh Boy stopped the growth of rads (after adding a last 4, or other fraction of 8), and dropped his Sneak Skill back to normal, but only produced the "unequip" sound effect and not "stealth field off" sound effect. Leaving it on brought my character through all the stages of rad poisoning and eventually killed him.

Hope this helped.

@darlingg: Hadn't been aware of that mod. Thanks for the link.

@devinpatterson: The mod darlingg linked seems perfect in design, except it was supposedly constructed for power armor. Haven't tried it yet, but what is needed is something that would be worn with more conventional armor, perhaps like a Pip-boy but on the left (to avoid holsters) thigh? (Just an idea; not a constraint.) Certainly it could be powered with one of the energy cells, so you would need to refill not only the "doses" of the meds but also power supply after so many uses. Appreciate your consideration. I'll be happy to test it when you have it ready.

-Dubious-

Certainly it could be powered with one of the energy cells

Or not -- witness the unpowered Snakebite Tourniquet, or the Auto-Inject Stimpak & Super-Stimpak. Or maybe an attachment to the Pip-boy, that already has a rad detector. I think Radaway refills would be enough.

The vanilla rad thresholds are fine. If players want further effects of radiation sickness they can add other mods like

I think that may be a misunderstanding, when I posted the rad thresholds it wasn't for general modification, rather the thresholds that the rad auto injector would fire off at. Yeah I ahve no intention of mucking around with the radiation poisoning system in NV.

However 3rd-person did _not_ show him to have turned transparent.

I didn't have any problem with the stealthboy shader showing, maybe it had something to do with the stealthgirl condition/comparison (do you have that perk?) . Try this beta 2 see if that fixes it (also reduces rads to +4 for stealthgirl perk, and has an unequip sound).

@devinpatterson: The mod darlingg linked seems perfect in design, except it was supposedly constructed for power armor. Haven't tried it yet, but what is needed is something that would be worn with more conventional armor, perhaps like a Pip-boy but on the left (to avoid holsters) thigh? (Just an idea; not a constraint.)

I can't promise I can come up with a worthy model, but I will look around for something suitable.

Certainly it could be powered with one of the energy cells, so you would need to refill not only the "doses" of the meds but also power supply after so many uses. Appreciate your consideration. I'll be happy to test it when you have it ready.

-Dubious-

What rad value would you like to automatically fire off at, these are the thresholds;

Rads Level Effect

0-199 No Effect

200-399 Minor Radiation Poisoning -1 END

400-599 Advanced Radiation Poisoning -2 END, -1 AGL

600-799 Critical Radiation Poisoning -3 END, -2 AGL, -1 STR

800-999 Deadly Radiation Poisoning -3 END, -2 AGL, -2 STR

1000+ Fatal Radiation Poisoning DEATH (HP: -10,000)

What sounds best, advanced, critical or deadly to trigger the injection?

How many use(s) before a energy cell would be used?

Would if be possible to make the threshold configurable in MCM? (I'm a big fan of options.) If not, I would choose "Advanced" as Radaway will only knock it back instead of "out" at that level.

My idea regarding the energy cell was that the original was powered by the "power armor", so some sort of power supply for an external module was logical. An injector shouldn't take too much energy, so the sensor to monitor the health would be most of the draw. I don't use energy weapons at all, so I have no idea what is considered "normal". How about one of the most common energy cells per use, and a configurable option to choose the type or number of energy cell? That sound reasonable? Or perhaps one cell per day regardless of number of uses (because the sensor is the main draw).

Edit to provide some more specific answers.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent