SKSE launcher problem

lucian_dragos

I been having an problem lately with SKSE launching the vanilla launcher instead of the game itself.

I.E. I click on the skse_loader.exe --> A small cmd window pops up for a moment like normal --> then normally the game would load but now just the vanilla launcher does and launching from there does not load SKSE.. I have the newest versions of both Skyrim and SKSE and have tried reinstalling skse too but with no luck...

Note: if it matters to you it is the standard 32Bit Skyrim not S.E.

Is Steam open when you're running Skyrim? Just wondering.

What about having skse as a desktop app? Are you using one?

You can try the following otherwise i'm not sure what is causing this very interesting problem.

1. Go into your Skyrim folder.

2. Rename TESV.exe (the application that launches Skyrim) to Skyrim.exe, and skse_loader.exe to TESV.exe. This "tricks" the launcher into thinking that it is loading Skyrim where it is, in fact, loading the SKSE loader that then loads Skyrim.

3. Go into your Data folder, then the skse folder. If it doesn't exist, create it.

4. Make a file named skse.ini using notepad, and in it, put the following down:

1. Save the file, and run Skyrim using the Skyrim Launcher.
  2. [Loader]
    RuntimeName = Skyrim.exe

Side note: If Nexus Mod Manager notifies you that SKSE isn't installed, ignore the warnings and install the mod. This is because NMM checks for SKSE by checking if there is a skse_loader.exe file in the Skyrim folder. And obviously, as you renamed it, it is not there.

Edited by ShayVizla

Don't rename TESV.exe and alter the SKSE.ini to point to some other file name. That only leads to problems later.

If the SKSE loader is starting the launcher instead of the game it's most likely because the Steam client wasn't running. If you try to run TESV.exe without the Steam client loaded into memory then it will close down and force the Skyrim Launcher to run as a way to get the Steam client running. If that's really what's happening then just closing the launcher and restarting the SKSE loader should start the game correctly.

Update:
Ok now I am getting pissed... I bit the bullet and did a full delete and re-download of Skyrim, downloaded a fresh copy of SKSE and installed it.. no other mods no edits.. 100% vanilla + SKSE and it still does not work.....

Edit1: Umm.. ok things just got weirder... It works right if I use NMM to run skse but not if I use the SKSE_Loader.exe itself...

Edited by lucian_dragos