[LE] Prevent Making a Skill Legendary from Returning Perk Points

I'm looking into making a mod that disables the returning of perk points upon making a skill legendary. I want to have to go re-obtain the perk points through game mechanics (Deadly Dragon soul conversion, perk point potions, etc). I generally end a game with hundreds of available points that I don't want to spend and I want that process to remain something I have to work for instead of a given.

I am aware of the Skill Increase Story Node, the WISkillIncrease01, and the WISkillIncrease02. What I am hoping to do is create a script that detects the number of available perk points upon making a skill legendary, saves it as a global variable, then returns the number of available perk points to that number after everything else has happened. What I know I can do so far:

(Note: This Requires SKSE)

Create a Global Variable (PerkPointReturnNumber)

Script1:

float NumberPerkPoints = Game.GetPerkPoints()

PerkPointReturnValue.SetValue(NumberPerkPoints)

(Rest of Skill Increase Things Happen)

Script2:

Game.SetPerkPoints(PerkPointReturnValue)

So what I'm concerned about is that I'm unfamiliar with how the Story Nodes actually work and where I should place the scripts. If anyone is familiar with how to do this I would appreciate insight into if this is feasible and if I'm on the right track.

If you're using SKSE already, why not tie it in to OnMenuOpen/OnMenuClose? Check the Perk Points on Menu Open, and if the number is greater than that after you close the Skill Menu, you know the Player has either cheated, or gone Legendary. Looking at the available Menus, I'd suggest either the TweenMenu or the StatsMenu, assuming the latter is the actual Skill Value.

(You'd still be able to spend them before the menu closes, obviously, but presumably someone using the Mod is not going to do that, so... )

Edited by CDM_