Where do you get Update.esm?

finndo77

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to beat a dead horse but I'm having this issue as well - I can't find Update.esm in the data files.

I own my copy of Skyrim, which I bought it through Steam, so a pirated copy is ruled out.

Verified file integrity, one file failed, file was re-downloaded, still no Update.esm in data files.

Checked the Skyrim / Data folder and found Update.esm as well as Update.bsa, so they're there, but just not showing up in the list.

So now I've got this Unofficial Skyrim Patch just sitting around and I have no idea where I'm supposed to put it in the load priority.

• 1 month later...

I hate to reply to myself; however this is more of an update than trying to bump...

So I started messing around with dotnet on my system, and reinstalled 2/3/3.5 now the game loads again and is playable. still no update.esm however.

Somehow my dotnet install got corrupt and broke the game, hope that helps someone one day even though it was not the topic of this thread.

Still no update.esm file however. Nothing on the install DVD that says anything about updates either.

How to i use now?Cause i know this was in 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Feels like ppl are gonna be mad at me now, but here it goes. Ive got the same problem with missing update.esm file.

And im trying to get the NMM to work but it keeps insisting that i need this file.

Its a pirated version, but before yall grab a pitchfork, i have already bought it to 360 but it stopped working and im not paying twice for it.

Ive tried to find a solution but everyone keeps saying to verify with steam or to get several other programs (and i have no clue what they do).

So im simply asking, is there a way to get this file somewhere without you having to sacrifice your first born (cuz i really hate to do that)?

And if yes, then please senpai, teach me your ways!

Banned for piracy - micalov.

Assuming you have a legitimate copy of Skyrim and your Update.esm file exists there via a Steam update, you can try this stuff:

1. Make sure data file selection is enabled in your SkyrimPrefs.ini.
This file is typically located here -> C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim
Open it, then change the value for bEnableFileSelection to 1:

[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1

2. Make sure Update.esm is listed in your plugins.txt and loadorder.txt files.
These files are typically located here -> C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Skyrim
For correct installation, the first two lines of each file should read as follows:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm

NOTE: AppData is a hidden folder, so you may have to configure Windows to display it.

Edited by sevencardz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...