DX9 VRAM has been fixed!

Charles17

Drat - this was supposed to be a Quote Reply to Merscil. !

Just go to Windows and get it. I had no problems bringing it down and installing it, apart from my AVG blue-screen merry-go-round. I had to use Safe Mode to reinstall AVG.

Don't forget to create a Restore Point before starting the Update!

I take it you weren't scheduled for the automatic updates either then? Your first post isn't really reassuring...

The release on 17 October could have taken weeks to reach me. The roll-out is based on some mysterious Microsoft formula to blocks of users, that probably gives them feedback over which bits of the update they made a mess of.

But it is well known that you can simply "force" the update by using Update on your PC, or heading off to the MS Release Page and collecting it. It's no big deal.

I wanted to find out if the DX9 fix was going to work in my 32 bit game. So I chose to download the release as soon as it came out. The fix works!

I had a problem installing the release because another update for AMD-Based chipsets came along with the Creator's Fall Release. This AMD release blew up my AVG. So I had to reinstall AVG and tell my PC to ignore this AMD Chipset update.

Feel free to go and download the Fall Creator's Update. Just ensure you make a restore point before you install it.

Having used the Update for a couple of days now, my only negative comment is that there is a minor problem with sound - and I'm not the only one to have discovered this.

I reinstalled my drivers for Realtek, and it's now better, but I expect MS will patch it soon.

The rest of the Update seems OK in general, although I have noticed some of my PC start-ups can be a bit buggy with the Start Menu failing to operate. A PC restart appears to resolve that.

Again, I expect MS will patch.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never install feature update unless promoted via Windows update. Upgrade assistant (or install via ISO/ Bootable while system is intact) will mess up all the drivers.

Edit: Quote wrong person.

Oh great, I guess I'll probably have to wait another year before I get this update then...

?? I don't get YuliaS11's comment. This is Microsoft's Creator's Update (Fall)., It is therefore Microsoft's own product as a 'Windows Update' and MS say themselves if you want to have it ahead of your roll-out, just go to the Update pages and collect it.

It might be said that the cautious person could wait a couple of weeks to see if there are any issues...but after 2 years with a mangled DX9 memory limit I'm not going to wait! I want it, and I want it now - so I got it. :cool:

I'm savvy enough with my PC to sort out issues that are generated (like I did with the AMD Cumulative Update / AVG Antivirus issue that caused my Blue Screen of Death).

And anyway I had a restore point I could roll back to in the worst case scenario.

But, if folks feel uncomfortable about it, then wait a while. I'm off to play 32bit Skyrim...

It has been my experience that leaving my memory settings at 10240 has been sufficient. Periodic checks show that with over 400 mods, 246 plugins, my memory usage has never been above 42%. I have 16 gb available on my NVidia GeForce 1070 but have never had any reason to use it all. As for enb settings, etc., I use NVidia inspector to control my frame rate keeping it at 58 point something. Just disable frame rate in everything else. For some other issues I've seen others post, I would suggest making sure all your drivers are active and updated. In a test build some time ago a couple of usb drivers were disabled and default sound output was reset from what I had. You can check by going into device manager / expanding, right clicking on each device and choose update driver / search automatically. If anything is available it will self update.

So I just downloaded the update and the game does feel a little smoother but I am still experiencing lag spikes. In Markarth for example my fps still drops to 16 fps! This is with JK's Markarth and SKY CITY Markarth installed, and no major environmental texture mods, only the Official Bethesda HD texture Pack.

My system specs are the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz 16 GB RAM

Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 1070 8 GB

VRamSizeDX9.exe is giving me 16224

Any ideas what could be wrong? Surely with this hardware and now the fix to DX9 I should be getting better performance?

Edited by Merscil

So I just downloaded the update and the game does feel a little smoother but I am still experiencing lag spikes. In Markarth for example my fps still drops to 16 fps! This is with JK's Markarth and SKY CITY Markarth installed, and no major environmental texture mods, only the Official Bethesda HD texture Pack.

Â

Â

Â

Any ideas what could be wrong? Surely with this hardware and now the fix to DX9 I should be getting better performance?

If you're running ENB, did you update enblocal.ini? I know when I first downloaded the update I forgot to do that and had the same issue.

I know the post above mentions that the 10224 is sufficient, but I noticed I got a consistent 60 FPS with very minimal drops to 54 or 51 once I bumped it up to about 500 less than my max VRAM and I have less than 300 mods running

Â

Â

Â

If you're running ENB, did you update enblocal.ini? I know when I first downloaded the update I forgot to do that and had the same issue.

I know the post above mentions that the 10224 is sufficient, but I noticed I got a consistent 60 FPS with very minimal drops to 54 or 51 once I bumped it up to about 500 less than my max VRAM and I have less than 300 mods running

I have updated enblocal.ini but even when I turn off enb with shift+f12 I still get those massive fps drops over there, so I don't think they're enb related.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also enjoying installing a lot of old games on my win10 rig and only having to run compatibility mode to get them working properly. My one gripe is that Win10 won't allow an old game that has a disc-check DRM to run. Microsoft considers those old DRMs to be security risks and your game simply won't run. Example, I can install my old Battlefield 1942 anthology, but it won't run because it wants the disc in the drive and Win10 says "nuh, uh". Most annoying.

Yeah, I know there are workarounds, but it would be far more convenient if Microsoft simply had an option to allow disc-checking like they did in Win7 (and, I think, Win8) that you could simply toggle on when you wanted to play an old game. Still, gotta be grateful for what we're getting...