Help with creating buildable buildings

Hello All,

I'm quite new to the Creation Kit, but am trying to create a buildable LynnWoods tower with the base.

So I have two questions;

- How do I merge multiple objects to create the base?

- What is needed for the building to be "buildable"? I have so far managed to get the tower to appear in the building menu (under concrete/Micellanious), and when in game it show's up OK, but it stays red, and never goes green to indicate that it can be built.

Any help would be appriciated.

If my explanations are unclear, please do not hesitate to say so.

Thanks.

Justin

an interesting question.

I hope a modder of greater mod fu than I, will be along shortly to assist you hehe,

my modfu for FO4 is not strong,

though I tentatively share some ideas below.

"how do I create an instance-dependent base/ 'ploppable combination'?

--- this thread will get you looking in the right direction

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5522717-fallout-4-optimization-and-performance-systems-explained/

above: this has links to guides from some folks who've made 'plopable houses' or other settlement parts packs.

I further recommend DDProductions and DarthWayne's guides.

I think you have to make your own likeness to that lynnwoods' tower though...

Shavkacagarikia wrote several snippets before which also help to quick-n-dirty test your settlement build,

I think it was from late '15 about cinderblocks, but the snippets should still be good hehe.

its for a flat surface, or 'requires water' constraints for the building part.

thanks again, shavkacagarikia!

if you want it to be all ploppable as one unit, yet still be separate parts that are 'pre-snap'd "

that's trickier, and we'll have to wait until the settlement Visual Similarity Reference Index mod framework is complete for that.

this'll let you get the attached pathing and copy-n-paste the selected building parts attached to that node.

this will eventually though, help to iterate through nCr and nX! worth of stuff,

so as to avoid 'cookie-cutter-itis".

"what is needed for the building to be buildable?"

that is a trickier one - you can constrain it to particular topology, or by snap (ie it can only be placed on, or snapped to, another item class),

or always buildable. in the next v of CK, it'll be a rightclick -> crafting item -> settlement -> dependency thing.

from dependency, it will be Parent? Y/N Dependent -> Snap? Standalone, topology.

for topology, it can be contour or x,y,z co-ordinates.

the contour is a logic condition, it needs 'x% at this angle, y% at flat" etc, I think you can specify up to 5 separate conditions it needs,

going by some water cooling system and contraption parts constraints.

if you can't get it to work, but it will path correctly and is in-game...

a kludge you can use in the meantime is,

"place anywhere" - this will set everything to be buildable,

and even if it still appears red, you'll be able to build it wherever you'd like.

I have to do the liquid metal variable geometry and torggler doors like that at the moment -

they won't show as buildable as they're not connected to power,

but will once you connect them... odd huh?

they also don't snap to the door-frame properly;

I bodged the snap orientation to YZX instead of XYZ. Doh!

I hope this was of some use,

and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

this'll go great with Greek-Rage and Petard's ideas for several castles hehe.

if you can figure out how to do it for lynnwoods,

perhaps you'll be able to make some of the power-tower hi power transmission lines

or billboard signs,

as buildable ploppables?

an interesting question.

I hope a modder of greater mod fu than I, will be along shortly to assist you hehe,

my modfu for FO4 is not strong,

though I tentatively share some ideas below.

"how do I create an instance-dependent base/ 'ploppable combination'?

--- this thread will get you looking in the right direction

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5522717-fallout-4-optimization-and-performance-systems-explained/

above: this has links to guides from some folks who've made 'plopable houses' or other settlement parts packs.

I further recommend DDProductions and DarthWayne's guides.

I think you have to make your own likeness to that lynnwoods' tower though...

Shavkacagarikia wrote several snippets before which also help to quick-n-dirty test your settlement build,

I think it was from late '15 about cinderblocks, but the snippets should still be good hehe.

its for a flat surface, or 'requires water' constraints for the building part.

thanks again, shavkacagarikia!

if you want it to be all ploppable as one unit, yet still be separate parts that are 'pre-snap'd "

that's trickier, and we'll have to wait until the settlement Visual Similarity Reference Index mod framework is complete for that.

this'll let you get the attached pathing and copy-n-paste the selected building parts attached to that node.

this will eventually though, help to iterate through nCr and nX! worth of stuff,

so as to avoid 'cookie-cutter-itis".

"what is needed for the building to be buildable?"

that is a trickier one - you can constrain it to particular topology, or by snap (ie it can only be placed on, or snapped to, another item class),

or always buildable. in the next v of CK, it'll be a rightclick -> crafting item -> settlement -> dependency thing.

from dependency, it will be Parent? Y/N Dependent -> Snap? Standalone, topology.

for topology, it can be contour or x,y,z co-ordinates.

the contour is a logic condition, it needs 'x% at this angle, y% at flat" etc, I think you can specify up to 5 separate conditions it needs,

going by some water cooling system and contraption parts constraints.

if you can't get it to work, but it will path correctly and is in-game...

a kludge you can use in the meantime is,

"place anywhere" - this will set everything to be buildable,

and even if it still appears red, you'll be able to build it wherever you'd like.

I have to do the liquid metal variable geometry and torggler doors like that at the moment -

they won't show as buildable as they're not connected to power,

but will once you connect them... odd huh?

they also don't snap to the door-frame properly;

I bodged the snap orientation to YZX instead of XYZ. Doh!

I hope this was of some use,

and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

this'll go great with Greek-Rage and Petard's ideas for several castles hehe.

if you can figure out how to do it for lynnwoods,

perhaps you'll be able to make some of the power-tower hi power transmission lines

or billboard signs,

as buildable ploppables?

Thanks a lot for all that info. Now just gotta get my head round it all!

I'll have a good go at it then see what I can come up with!