Courier freeze and ctd Linked to Consider Adoption Letter

lefttounge

Hello. I am hoping somebody knows the solution for this issue, as I have been having it for a long time now.

The good news is, that I finally discovered the cause!

The issue is that when the Courier delivers a certain item, straight away after I open my inventory, my game will freeze, and I have to use task manager to end game.

I have found that the item that causes this, is actually the letter "Consider Adoption" since the bug usually only happens after I have started the Dark Brotherhood Questline.

I have also placeatme the item, and as soon as I activate it, sure enough, the game freezes.

Does anybody know of a solution to this problem? :(

Anyhoo, if anybody knows like a code fix or any answers as such, feel free to post. This is a common problem, as I have seen it on other posts, usually with no solution or lengthy insight.

But, I did find a work around (That DID solve this problem)

1.click the courier, console kill them. He will be essential, so you will have to set him to 0, (setessential #BASEID) to 0- keep his id number in mind and remember it so you can bring him back.

2. Head to The Honorhall Orphanage and speak to the Constance Michel. You should be able to talk to her about adopting kids.

3. After you exit conversation, bring back the courier, you will notice that he will no longer force greet you, and upon talking to him, he will not offer you that horrible evil letter.

It should be fixed now, shield brothers.

---------------------------------

This is because even though you don't see the message, the letter isn't exactly a 'main quest', and the game still counts talking to Constance as completing it,

making it so the Courier doesn't need to give you the letter anymore, which means you don't have to be given the bugged item. Also remember to keep a backup save unless my solution only creates more issues, it shouldn't.

P.S. You can simply kill the courier horribly. But his nude corpse will follow you sometimes after fast travelling, like the wandering dragon skull corpses. Not sure if it will do this indefinately, even if you disable the corpse or not.

Edited by lefttounge