Nexus Mods: "Darkest Dungeon"

Adipose

• 3 months later...

Stumbled across Darkest Dungeon during Google search. Interesting. What's the site all about?

Hello.

Are you asking about Darkest Dungeon as a game or the mod section of the Nexus dedicated to it?

Darkest Dungeon is a game in which the player manages a hamlet and the battles of their heroes as they fight to reclaim lands the player's ancestor left in his will. Mostly it's about dealing with the stress the heroes accumulate on their missions.

The game is somewhat difficult by default, but also rewarding as it offers a unique perspective on keeping ones heroes physically and mentally fit.

The game also provides responses depending on how the heroes are ordered by the player to deal with stress and may acquire different traits (called quirks ingame). For example, send a hero to the Tavern too often and they may become a drunk. Or some heroes may be very religious and may only decrease their stress by praying in the Abbey.

By progressing through the story the player uncovers the dark deeds of their ancestor and trys to cleanse their estate and the surrounding lands.

You can find more information on the game on its official website or its wiki webpage.

https://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Darkest_Dungeon_Wiki - Darkest Dungeon's wiki page

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/ - game's official website

Currently, there are 2 DLCs available for the game: Crimson Court and The Shield Breaker.

Crimson Court provides a ton of new content such as a new hero class, an insight into the ancestor's younger days and lots of new enemies (potential spoiler: mostly vampire-like humanoid bugs).

I haven't played much with the Shield Breaker yet, but as the title suggests it provides a new hero class.

As for the Nexus page for Darkest Dungeon, it's the part of the Nexus dedicated to unofficial content (mods) created by players (modders) for the Darkest Dungeon game.

There are many different types of mods.

E.g. skin mods add different outfits for heroes. Other mods may edit the heroes attack and health values - it's easy as all it takes is navigating the game folder's structure and editing text files.

There are even mods that create entirely new classes of heroes that players can add to their game. Unfortunately, many such mods will not work with the GOG version of the game. There is an error when one tries to run a localization file and it crashes by default for GOG users. The only way to make it work is for the mod author to provide their own custom-made files that the game would otherwise create.

Other than the fact that GOG's version of the game is DRM free and that it seems somewhat less compatible with some mods, there aren't any other differences between the game versions that I know of. However, I can't really speak for the Steam version from personal experience as I only own the GOG version of the game.

That should at least cover the basics. I've tried to keep the post as spoiler free as possible.

Honestly, Darkest Dungeon is a challenging game and it takes a lot of trial and error attempts to figure it out, but despite that, I've found it to be very fun.

I hope I've answered your inquiry.

Edited by LittleWolfie